Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 33 of 46
28 December 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
It got me dead on, with New York City, Newark, and my home town of Yonkers, NY as my closest matches.
1 person has voted this message useful

jacob1
Diglot
Israel
Joined 3765 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: French

Message 34 of 46
31 December 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
wow, it's really cool.
I'm not a native American, but i travel often to NYC for work, and apparently that's my most similar dialect.

It's funny how many words do Americans have for trucks...

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 35 of 46
01 January 2014 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
wow, I'm all over the map except for the NE seaboard. Still reddest in my home area based
on "feeder road". I remember calling for a tow truck before and the guy kept asking me if
I was on the access road, and I kept saying "no! I'm on the FEEDER ROAD!"

I recognized allot of the other choices and might even use them myself.

(and yes I've heard of "the devil is beating his wife" :), it's still kind of uncommon)

Edited by ElComadreja on 01 January 2014 at 3:23am

leroc
United States
Joined 4092 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Studies: German

Message 36 of 46
01 January 2014 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
The quiz put me and all of my old highschool friends around the area of Spokane, Salt Lake City, and Boise. I'll say it was pretty accurate for me; being that it is a test for native English speakers (or near native) from America, I think it is fairly useless for those outside the target demographic

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4150 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 37 of 46
01 January 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Completely accurate! It said Philadelphia, Newark, and Yonkers were my closest matches. I actually grew up across the river from Trenton, NJ so I always thought I should have more of a Jersey accent than a Philly one.

caitwn
Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4076 days ago

7 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese, German

Message 38 of 46
02 January 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
The questionnaire was very accurate in my case. The darkest area on my map was a group of counties in Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia. It included the part of eastern Kentucky where I grew up, in spite of the fact that I have been away from there for about 30 years, have traveled extensively and lived overseas for most of the past 20 years, and have consciously adapted my speech to be more suitable for a general American and international audience. I don't think I have an accent that would be associated with any particular region of the US.

I asked my four children to take the test. They were all born in Taiwan and lived there for several years before moving to the US in 2007. Each of them had results that were most similar to speech patterns in a broad strip across the US, with a slight preference toward the East/Southeast.

My wife, a native Chinese speaker who came to the US as an adult but has a very high level of English (C2 with a very natural accent), took the test and it placed her in Kentucky, where we are currently living.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4385 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 39 of 46
02 January 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I tried it twice for the 'craic'. The first time it matched me to: New York, New Jersey
and... Honolulu! (pretty distant in terms of geography, no?). The areas least similar
were all in Texas (Fort Worth, Lubbock, Amarillo). The second time: New York, Yonkers and
Saint Louis with the same three Texan towns for the least similar.

Not surprised with New York and Yonkers as the Irish had a big impact on the city through
immigration. One of grand-uncles still lives in Yonkers as a matter of fact.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4385 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 40 of 46
02 January 2014 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
Yep, slaters for me, must be an Australian thing.

Yeah I've heard slaters before too, but the most common name in Ireland is woodlouse.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version