Groupie
United States
Joined 4337 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 41 of 46
09 January 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
This was extremely accurate for me, which I guess I shouldn't be surprised about, considering that my parents and grandparents are from my state and that I have only lived here or abroad.

Actually, it got my parents and siblings so accurately (we were all doing it at my parents' house over Christmas), that I wondered for a second whether it was based on IP address!

I'm surprised that at the end they didn't then ask us where we are actually from. That could have been a cool way to continue learning from the tons and tons of data that they must be getting from people taking the quiz. (Although there might be issues with people being untruthful.)
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5113 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 42 of 46
14 January 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
The first time I tried it, I got a skewed result because because I was answering "I have
never heard of such a thing" on so many of the vocab questions. The second time around, I
cheated a little and tried to find a likely answer to some of these questions
(this site has the
entire survey and has actually been a fun learning tool for me for the last fifteen
minutes). I got a lot of dark red in California and New England, which makes sense since
I learned my English from Hollywood and I lived in Connecticut for a short while, though
I doubt I was there long enough to pick up much of an accent.

I agree with some other users that a phonetics-based test would be more useful to non-
Americans. Usually when I take one of those, it tells me I have a neutral accent and
probably don't have a strong regional identity.

kman543210
Diglot
United States
Joined 4442 days ago

26 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 43 of 46
14 January 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
This was pretty accurate for me. It gave me 3 cities: Portland (OR), Tacoma (WA), or Spokane (WA). I was born and raised in Portland, OR, as was my mom, and my dad grew up mostly in Tacoma, WA until he moved down to Portland, OR at 16. Some of the questions I wasn't too sure about because sometimes I alternate between words. For example, growing up I almost exclusively used "pop" and "potato bug", but as I got older and heard "soda" and "pill bug", I would sometimes use those words (I answered with the words I used as a kid). Other words like "kitty-corner", I hear those all the time but would never actually use them (I answered diagonal). I was surprised that they didn't ask what I called something you push around at the grocery store ("shopping cart" for me).

Edited by kman543210 on 14 January 2014 at 5:09pm

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3825 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 44 of 46
18 January 2014 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Apparently my dialect is most similar to the one talked in New York, that can have sense because I learned English
through TV Series.

boon
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5937 days ago

91 posts - 177 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Latin

Message 45 of 46
21 January 2014 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Providence, Jersey city and... Honolulu. The last one was a bit of a surprise.

Edited by boon on 21 January 2014 at 10:55am

boon
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5937 days ago

91 posts - 177 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Latin

Message 46 of 46
21 January 2014 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:
I tried it twice for the 'craic'. The first time it matched me to: New York, New Jersey
and... Honolulu! (pretty distant in terms of geography, no?). The areas least similar
were all in Texas (Fort Worth, Lubbock, Amarillo). The second time: New York, Yonkers and
Saint Louis with the same three Texan towns for the least similar.

Not surprised with New York and Yonkers as the Irish had a big impact on the city through
immigration. One of grand-uncles still lives in Yonkers as a matter of fact.

I got Providence, New Jersey City and Honolulu.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version