Joined 5474 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 22
06 January 2014 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Hey kraemder,

just a note to wish you luck on your Mandarin journey. I enjoyed reading your
2013 Japanese log and will follow your posts here.

A few words; if you can get New Practical Chinese Reader, I would use this
textbook as it's very solid for grammar, vocab and functional language and will take
you up to intermediate level by book 4.

Also, don't shy away from simplified characters. You will be able to make the link
between simplified and traditional using your knowledge of Japanese kanji. There are
more materials for simplified.

Best of luck!

p.s. - In Firefox I use 'Perapera chinese' as a pop-up dictionary, and nciku.com is a
good general tools/dictionary website.

Edited by Toffeeliz on 06 January 2014 at 9:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4942 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 18 of 22
26 January 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
If you want to get really good with pronunciation, check out FSI's pronunciation module:
http://www.fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Chinese

^--- look under "Resource Module", then there are 6 tapes for Pronunciation and Romanization. The "Text" link
has a PDF of the sheets used for the Pronunciation module. I used these tapes a little bit after i quit Rosetta
stone, and honestly I wish I had started with these tapes...it was sooo useful!

If you haven't already, definitely check out some people's logs for inspiration and to overview the possibilities. My
log is linked below, and irrationale also made a great log (on this website) of his journey from absolute beginner
to basic fluency. 加油!

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=23435
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 19 of 22
26 January 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
The reason why Chinese is a difficult language is because of the characters. According to Steve Kaufmann, a
polyglot online Chinese as a spoken language is simpler than most European languages with no subject-verb
conjugation, verb tenses and a straightforward numbering system.

Learning some basic phrases phonetically with Pinyin is a good start. Personally I don't know how to write half the
characters supposedly in my vocabulary. I learned to recognize them and rely on online dictionaries to type
messages on online blogs and letters to friends.

Don't forget, Pinyin isn't the only option for inputting Chinese characters. There is also the English-Chinese
dictionary input method 英汉输入法 on computer. You basically input each character by the English equivalent. For
example: 1 way to say "I'm happy" is 我很开心. You can enter the English words separately as i followed by
very followed by happy instead of wo hen kaixin. On a portable device such as iPad
it is common to enter characters with Pinyin. However, you can set the keyboard to show a writing pad. You
basically scribble a character on the screen with a finger. People from Taiwan still prefer to use the older BPMF
phonetics for inputting characters.

2 TV series for picking up words & phrases and basic conversation available on YouTube:
Liang Xi Mei 梁細妹. It is also listed under Gao Xiao Xing Dong 搞笑行动 (a comedy series from Singapore)
大耳朵图图 daerduotutu (a children's cartoon series from China)

I like these 2 in particular because there is 1 theme for each show. The dialog revolve around the main theme and
the words & phrases aren't too difficult to follow with a lot of repetition.

Edited by shk00design on 26 January 2014 at 6:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 20 of 22
26 January 2014 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
梁細妹 seems interesting...Is it possible to find it with subtitles?

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7032 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 21 of 22
27 January 2014 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
I'll say this about Rosetta Stone. My Spanish accent has never been called G-- awful and
I never could get my voice to match up with the Rosetta Stone thing. And if it's a
woman's voice, forget about it.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 22 of 22
08 February 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
梁細妹 seems interesting...Is it possible to find it with subtitles?

Haven't found any version of the 梁細妹 series come with subtitles in Chinese or English. Even the later 梁婆婆
series where the mother played the role of a grandmother did not come with subtitles. The first Chinese phrase
you'd hear in each episode is usually "伤脑筋" or mind-boggling / troublesome. The rest of the dialog you are on
your own with occasionally an English word filled-in.

In my area there are Chinese video stores where you can find videos with subtitles but I don't know about this
one...

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version