Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 47
25 December 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 

Four fearless warriors are setting out to conquer the Persian language in 2014, following the example of Cyrus (Kourosh), the first Achaemenid Emperor, who founded Persia by uniting the two original Iranian Tribes - the Medes and the Persians.

Anyone who wants to join us is welcome to do so! You're also invited if you study a related language: Kurdish, Pashto, Tajik...

WARRIORS:

ellasevia
tristano
Élan
druckfehler

OBSERVERS:
Luso

Edited by druckfehler on 12 January 2014 at 10:12pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 2 of 47
25 December 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
#reserved for resources or whatever in case we decide to keep this as team log
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3807 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 3 of 47
26 December 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Great!
Since I'm a new user I don't know the other users,
and since I'm starting from scratch I don't have
ideas for the name. I think that in team challenges
can be great fun :)

Élan
United States
Joined 5204 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 4 of 47
26 December 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for starting this thread! druckfehler, would you like to lead? As a small team, I feel like we can all kind of
lead together, but how would you feel about being in charge of the team thread?

I think having some challenges sounds great. That kind of thing always gives me a little extra motivation. I would
be happy to contribute some challenge ideas so the leader wouldn't have to do them all.

I will think about the name--the only things that came to mind were Team Ghormeh Sabzi (too long), Team Doogh
(too goofy), Team Taarof (too Iranian), or Team Piroozi (too sportsy.) Maybe someone can think of some good
historical names.

I will take a peek at some of the other team threads and see if I have any other thoughts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 5 of 47
26 December 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind doing any updates that are needed, although I also think being a small team means that each of us should feel equally responsible for the team's survival.

What do you all think about exchanging e-mail addresses or some other means of contact? If you all use Skype we could schedule an occasional meeting to practice chatting and/or speaking Persian.

Would it be useful to do some sort of trouble shooting in Januar, just thinking about why the Persian TAC hasn't been successful for any of us last year (tristano is the only team member with a clean record ;)) and what we can do to improve our chances this time? For me that probably involves finding a balance between hardcore studying until Persian burnout and really irregular studying that just tapers off into nothing...

Challenges seem to be a good method to keep going. I could imagine very open challenges where everyone sets a goal for themselves at the beginning of each month and then we all report whether we have succeeded at the end of the month. That takes into account that we're at fairly different levels and probably have different study styles. Or we could decide to only have writing challenges with different topics for each month, or very open challenges that address the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.

I like Team Ghormeh Sabzi, but it really is very long... How about a team joon/jan/jaan? Would that also be goofy? Or Team bah bah? :D Team Rumi might be nice, too. Is there an animal or a fruit representative of Persia/Iran? Pomegranates?

I'm so excited to be on a Persian team with you all!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 47
26 December 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
What about Team Khayyam?

Hey, wait: I'm not even a member of this team! :P

Sorry... ;)

P.S.: as I'm a big fan of Persian culture, I think I'll drop by from time to time. Best of luck to this team.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 7 of 47
26 December 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone!

I really like all of the ideas that have been tossed around thus far, for challenges and email contact and so forth. As for the team name, I really do like Team Rumi. I also like the pomegranate idea, but "Team Pomegranate" sounds a bit odd, and "Team Anâr" would not exactly be widely understood. If we consider our goal of conquering the Persian language, perhaps naming the team after one of the ancient Persian emperors (Darius, Cyrus, etc.) would be appropriate. Or Team Persepolis?

Regardless of what we call it, I'm very much looking forward to being on this team, and just hope that I'll find the time to be a positive contributor!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 8 of 47
31 December 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
The emperor idea is great! For some reason I really like Cyrus (despite my first association of Miley...) or Rumi.

Élan, tristano - what do you think?

I won't be able to start studying until January 6, which is the deadline for my thesis. I probably will procrastinate a bit on the forums, but won't be doing any updates for the first week of January. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm not slacking off even as we begin ;) Or maybe I should say slacking off with a valid reason :D

I hope you all have a good start into the new year!
I can't wait to start our shared Persian journey!

@Luso: How about we add you as an observer? ;)

Edited by druckfehler on 31 December 2013 at 4:40pm

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version