Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 17 of 47
20 January 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! The thesis is finished. Just waiting for the result now :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 47
29 January 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
A couple of years ago I posted a link to the online videos and transcripts in several foreign languages at LangMedia.

Since I first stumbled on the site, the colleges involved have added more videos (and their transcripts) including short discussions on cultural facets in Farsi (all of video clips under Culture Talk Iran that I sampled are in Farsi and accompanied by transcripts with English translations).

You may also find the videos about Afghan culture in Dari to be useful given how similar it is to Farsi.

Enjoy.
7 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 19 of 47
02 February 2014 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
How did you all fare with your goals for January?

I didn't quite complete mine. I did lessons 1-19 of Assimil (missing 20&21) and only got up to lesson 15 of Chai & Conversation (instead of 20 as was my goal). But I'm pretty satisfied with that. I can sometimes understand snippets of what people say now, which is great.

And is anyone going to set goals for February? I'd like to have a goal of some sort, but I'm still unsure what it should be. I have to focus on university study instead of languages, so it won't be anything big, but I'll think of something doable.

Edited by druckfehler on 02 February 2014 at 1:00pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 20 of 47
02 February 2014 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
My goals went really well! I was able to accomplish all of them, except for reviewing all of the first eight lessons of Spoken World Farsi (I reviewed four). However, I made up for that by doing way more Assimil and Chai and Conversation than I had set out to. :) In my log, I also added the goal of watching two Iranian films. I think I only watched one, The Color of Paradise (رنگ خدا).

For February, I suppose I'd continue with the modest goals since I'm now back in classes and have other studying to do...

- Spoken World Farsi lessons 5-10
- Finish the rest of Chai and Conversation (only a few episodes left)
- Assimil lessons 29-42
- Colloquial Persian lessons 1-3
- At least one Iranian film

And since it's also the 6WC this month, I suppose I'll include a time-based goal:
- 15 hours of Persian study

It doesn't sound like much for a month, but that comes to about half an hour of Persian per day, which seems manageable.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 21 of 47
04 February 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Something for you, guys:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgl-HvhmTmKDvEBIQjAPbr IzdqaUuCGDy

Edited by prz_ on 04 February 2014 at 7:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3807 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 22 of 47
04 February 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Hi!
So... this is what I reached:
- Pimsleur: Episode 10... but my proficiency is not enough so I think I will review the episodes from 6 to 10.
- Chai and conversation: Episode 9.
- EasyPersian: Lecture 4. Than I decided to put the alphabet in Anki and now I have a good command of most of the
letters. Just some of then still confuse me.

Edited by tristano on 05 February 2014 at 7:38pm

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3807 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 23 of 47
05 February 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
This night came with advices.
I thought about the fact that everyone is different and there isn't a method that works with everyone. So, I thought
about what since now demonstrated to work at best with me.

First of all, fluency in speaking is the very last achievement so I decided to not bother about it at this first step.
I'm a software engineer (logic and rational mind) with a terrible memory. So, point number 1:
- logic: It is not a problem to me learn grammars, is what I do every time with code basically. Grammar is logic, and
logic is fun for me!
- terrible memory: it means that I have to use at best all kind of instrument that can help me with memorisation of
words and most of all, exceptions!

Point 1, studying the grammar to me is not boring. It makes the language structure grow inside me. I can study
grammar and exercise myself in writing (Scryptorium method can work!).

Point 2, I can listen, listen and again listen during the day so I the sound of the language can enter slowly inside me
and I can learn to recognise word that I already know first, than the entire meaning of the sentence after. I need also
to exercise reading.

What to do for the next week: find a Persian grammar (open to any advice!), find native resources for kids to learn
basic vocabulary and put the vocabulary I encounter in Anki. Find a software to write in Persian.

Goal for february: being able to write a small presentation in Persian.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3807 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 24 of 47
05 February 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
(oh, and do the same with Dutch, alternating the two languages and reviewing everyday with anki)

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version