Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3834 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 17 of 33
11 January 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your response and sorry for the late answer!
I'm experiencing a bit of difficulty with the written part I have to admit.
Although I'm going ahead with Pimsleur (I did the 8 yesterday) and Chai and Conversation (I did the lesson that talks
about the job also yesterday, don't remember if it's the 8 or the 9) I'm a little overwhelmed by the day on working in
software development after waking up at 6 to study Mandarin and Dutch, and hours of Dutch and from next week
also British listening on internet radio while developing software... Then, coming home and after also having done
Pimsleur and Chai and Conversation, starting to study Arabic alphabet can be quite difficult :D But it's of course a
needed step and I'm sure that the funny part start just a step after! This language is really fascinating and I can't wait
to be able to read poetry in Persian!
Possibly, I'm doing too much in a not structured way, I don't know if it's correct to put great effort in the spoken part
at this step of the learning process...

Edited by tristano on 11 January 2014 at 12:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 18 of 33
11 January 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Wow, watch out so your head doesn't explode! The routine you've described sounds really exhausting... Maybe you could alternate days for Persian and Mandarin or something of the sort? Really accomplished polyglots like ellasevia (Philip from our team :)) and Sprachprofi used a rotation method and seem to have gotten some great results.

Personally, I think it's the best idea to get used to spoken language first, whenever studying a new language. Otherwise it's easy to develop pronunciation mistakes based on reading words incorrectly. So in my opinion you're doing just fine.

I also did the lesson on jobs yesterday :) I really like the Chai and Conversation teaching style - not too little but also not too much input every lesson.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 19 of 33
11 January 2014 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Hey,

this is an interesting Persian video you might like for practise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Qp9ukAyaU
2 persons have voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5231 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 20 of 33
11 January 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Don't work too hard, Tristano! We want you to keep enjoying Persian and stay on the team! I am sure if you stick
with the alphabet, it will get much easier (and less boring) very soon. I think the main problem is when people start
using "finglish/pinglish" right away and skip the alphabet. As long you're keeping your eyes on the alphabet, it will
start to stick.

I like the style of Chai and Conversation too, but I love the voice on Pimsleur Persian. That's the voice I associate
with Persian. It's also why I really dislike the Living Language Farsi offering--the main woman's voice freaks me out!

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3834 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 21 of 33
12 January 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
@druckfehler, thank you for the advice! Maybe I can rotate the written with the spoken part and still keep doing
something everyday! As soon as I have learnt the alphabet I will have to learn single words and it should be being
easier to me by using Anki to review every day even if I cannot add new content.

If I start to rotate in days I'm afraid (just because I know me) that I'll add more languages :D And since I'm a
beginner language learner polyglot wannabe having to deal with 5 foreign languages (plus my native language plus
my regional dialect hehe) is already too much :D

@Sprachprofi thank you very much for the video, it's indeed really nice!

@Élan thank you for the encouragement :) I'm not going to give up with Persian. It's more about redefining my goals
for this year and keep going finding the right working schedule for me. If I keep studying my languages for all the
year next year will be much easier to me: my English will be improved at a solid C1 level, I will be able to have basic
conversations in Dutch, I will know some Mandarin, just to start reading something and exchange some words in this
language, I will have a certification in French (I didn't decide yet, but it's really useful to me for business reasons).
And I definitely know some Persian and I will know how to read Arabic script! And since I'm at the beginning with
three languages and advanced beginning with one (French) the most enjoying parts arrive later! And next year I will
have to resist at the temptation of starting 5 new languages :D I should put a 1 new language per year constraint.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3834 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 22 of 33
14 January 2014 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
I started to put each bit of the alphabet in anki, so I can exercise myself to recognise each form of each letter in
order to speed up my alphabet learning. I'm arrived to Pimsleur 8 and with Chai and Conversation to the chapter
'talking about work'.

This is my only language that it's not good for business to me (unIike English, french, dutch and mandarin) but I
really enjoy to learn.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 23 of 33
14 January 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
If you're struggling with the alphabet, you may want to try my method, even though it's
for Arabic:

http://learnlangs.com/read_Arabic

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3834 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 24 of 33
15 January 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sprachprofi,
   in some way I lost my last answer.
Thank you very much for sharing me your website, seems to be really useful!
In this moment I'm exercising recognizing each character by using anki. In second
instance I will exercise the pronunciation of those character. Eventually I will exercise
the writing :) Is going well now! anki is incredibily useful!!!

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version