Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3829 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 25 of 33
17 January 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
I confirm that is going well :) I have the sensation that I can maintain the goal i set for Persian although at the
beginning of the month I was studying 3 languages and no I'm studying 5!
1 person has voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5510 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 26 of 33
17 January 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
If you're interested in Iran as a country and not only the language I recommend a book by a journalist Ryszard Kapuściński The Shah of Shahs. I've finished it yesterday and I think it's really good. It's non fiction, it's only about 160 pages long and it tells the story of the overthrow of the last shah of Iran which begun the Iranian Revolution of 1979. Great stuff.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3829 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 27 of 33
18 January 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi @pesahson!
Thank you for the advice! In this moment It means choose between study a language and reading the book since my
whole time is occupied with language study, other study, other hobbies and sociality, other than work and everyday
routine tasks :) But thank you and maybe I will read it one day :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3829 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 28 of 33
25 January 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Persian! in few words, the language I'm struggling more. I like it a lot but it's alien to me, without inhuman
complexities that justify putting a lot of efforts, useless for business, but with a great culture that I want to reach,
beautiness and linguistic advantages for other languages that I would like to study in the future that it's too worthy
to drop it, but not immediate.
I need days of 72 hours!
Right now I have still the wall of the alphabet, because it takes time to be able from recognising the single letter
(stuff that now I can do without getting wrong too much times) to being able to read aloud single words and entire
phrases. I With pimsleur and chai and conversation I have to do the 10th for both. I have to decide if keeping with
easypersian or using something different, for example assimil or living language...
quite frustrating at the moment, but i don't drop!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 29 of 33
25 January 2014 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
it's alien to me, without inhuman complexities that justify putting a lot of efforts

I understand this problem quite well. I couldn't make progress in Portuguese, but when I met a language with "inhuman complexities" in Korean, I was far more motivated to study. I simply knew I had to study to have any chance of getting better at this language. So sometimes difficulty can motivate you to study more successfully, I guess.

Regarding Persian, if you're struggling to stay motivated it might be nice to change your materials for a while. If you know enough French, it seems like a good option to become familiar with Persian grammar. I imagine it might be frustrating to just learn with Chai and Conversation while you don't actually know any grammar rules yet. Assimil also teaches the letters (although other resources are probably better for that). Actually, you might like the opportunity to work on Persian and French at once :) In any case, I don't think you necessarily have to decide to stick with one resource and ignore all others. Just experiment with different ones, see what motivates you and change your approach every time you start to get demotivated ;)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3829 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 30 of 33
28 January 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
I'm struggling more to find the right organisation. Every time a language demand more to me the others suffer.
I can try with Assimil anyway, I like the way it's structured. And the fact it's in French it's a plus! My goal is to reach
the understanding that I have now in French and continuing with grammar and native resources for the rest. With
French I'm doing exactly that (but was too easy of course, because I'm Italian). That is the funny part. I really enjoy
when I'm able to self understand the meaning of a new word or particular construction. That motivates me a lot :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 31 of 33
27 February 2014 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Hey tristano, now that your studying is going so well, I'm curious what method(s) you're using at the moment :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3829 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 32 of 33
27 February 2014 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Hi :)
I'm going to discontinue this log because I modified my Dutch log to be my target languages unique one and I will
use only that and my experimental branch log ;)

Anyway :) In this moment I'm listening a lot the chai and conversation and i listen each lesson at least four times: I
still don't remember every expression or word but it's giving me much more confidence with the language. It doesn't
sound alien anymore, yet still the words sound almost all the same ;) I'm using also EasyPersian and another
grammar book and I'm indecise about when to start with Assimil. I was thinking that can be meaningful arriving at
the end of Chai and Conversation before to start with Assimil in which I need to do a completely different work (that
would serve most of all my capacity to tie the language to its written representation).

In any case, I'm really confident now that I'm going to learn the language. It is enough to continue to spend time on
it and use some of the technique that are strongly advocated here :)

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version