Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 41 of 117
06 June 2014 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
It took me a long time to puzzle out this word in a text today:

hawswayp

And then I realized it's a loan word from English: housewife.

Tagalog must be the world's most phonetic language. It doesn't have an "f" sound (which is why they say Pilipino
and not Filipino), so "hawswayp" makes perfect phonetic sense. When I taught small kids, we always talked about
stretching out the sounds when writing with invented spelling. That's what I feel like I'm doing each time I read
an English loan word, which retains its general pronunciation - except with much more logical spelling:

ekonomiks
awtomobil
websayt

I love this language!
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 42 of 117
06 June 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Notes on grammar / sentence structure - possessives

Possessives in Tagalog are actually pretty straightforward, at least based on what I understand so far. The noun is
simply followed by a ng phrase or pronoun.

ng pronouns

ko – my
mo – your (singular)
niya (pronounced n'ya) – his/her
natin / namin – our
ninyo (often pronounced n'yo) – your (plural or polite)
nila – their

ang kapatid ko (my sibling)
ang kapatid ninyo (their sibling)
ang mga kapatid mo (your siblings)

ng phrases

ni + name – singular
nina + names – plural
ng + noun – singular
ng mga + noun – plural

ang kapatid ni Mark (Mark's sibling)
ang mga kapatid nina Mark at Susan (Mark and Susan's siblings)

ang kaibigan ng kapatid ko (my sibling's friend)
ang mga kaibigan ng mga kapatid ko (my siblings' friends)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 43 of 117
08 June 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Weekly update

Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo

This week I finished lesson 4. The main focus is on family, and I plan on using what I've learned so far to write a
few texts in Tagalog. I actually wrote a short one today about my sister and posted it on italki:

Dalawa ang kapatid ko, sina Jason at Catherine. Si Catherine ang bunso. Tatlumpu't apat na siya. Nakatira siya sa
Toronto, malapit lang sa downtown. Nagtatrabaho siya sa restawran. May nobyo siya, pero wala siyang anak.
Gusto niya ng musika pero ayaw niya ng mga isports.

(I have two siblings, Jason and Catherine. Catherine is the youngest. She's 34. She lives in Toronto, close to
downtown. She works at a restaurant. She has a boyfriend, but she doesn't have any children. She likes music and
doesn't like sports.)

I've gotten a few very good corrections and will be rewriting the text based on that feedback. I also plan on
writing texts about other members of my family - including my dog, of course!

I really do like this textbook. It follows along at a reasonable pace and the audio and texts are very easy to
understand - despite being a bit intimidating at first sight! I'm really seeing the value of transcribing. The first
time I listen to a short audio piece, it's hard to puzzle out. But with several repetitions, I start hearing the words,
and before long gibberish turns into something that I can actually understand. After I've gotten the words written
out, I listen to the audio several more times, reading along out loud and trying to match the pace.

Teach Yourself Filipino

I've finished lesson 2. I'm not sure if I'm using the course to its full potential, but so far I've just read an entire
lesson from start to finish, listening to the audio. Then I read it a second time, again with the audio. I add all new
words to anki. Then, I listen to the audio a few times in the car.

My original plan was to do several TY lessons per week, but I just don't have enough time. I think that I'm going
to alternate programs, spending 5 or 6 days on a Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo lesson, and then 2 or 3 days on a
Teach Yourself lesson. I have 20 lessons left in each program, so that puts me on track to being done both
courses before Christmas, which is my goal for being able to carry on a simple conversation. At that point, I'll
reevaluate my goals in Tagalog to decide whether or not I want to dig any deeper than conversations with my
family.

speaking

I had 2 Skype sessions this week. Both were enjoyable, and I learned a lot, but there was *a lot* of English. This is
partly my fault, because I'm not as insistent as I was in Spanish. When I started Spanish, I insisted on "no English"
from day one. But my level - and my confidence - in Tagalog are much lower, and I'm being much more passive
than I'd like. My goal is to transition to mostly-Tagalog sessions by July. We'll see how it goes!

I've been practicing with my husband, and as my knowledge increases, I think it also becomes more fun for him
to help me practice. I probably practice about 15 minutes per day in 2 or 3 short spurts, although I'm not logging
that for the six-week challenge.

Speaking of which, I'm perpetually at number 21 in the 6WC. I've been at number 21 for over a week. I'd really
like to break into the top 20 by the end of the challenge this week!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 44 of 117
08 June 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
My guess is that the English level for Tagalog classes would be entirely different. Since
Tagalog is partly just Taglish for most Filipinos, you have an excuse to ease yourself in
that way (especially since most Filipinos will use an English word instead of a Tagalog
equivalent very often).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 45 of 117
11 June 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
My guess is that the English level for Tagalog classes would be entirely different. Since
Tagalog is partly just Taglish for most Filipinos, you have an excuse to ease yourself in
that way (especially since most Filipinos will use an English word instead of a Tagalog
equivalent very often).
I think that you're absolutely right! I think that Taglish *is* Tagalog now. I'm not
concerned about using English words, which I know is very common and natural. When I say that I want "all-
Tagalog" tutoring sessions, I mean more with regards to sentence structure.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 46 of 117
11 June 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
I *almost* hit a wall today, for the very time. My pace of 20 new words per day on anki is getting a bit
overwhelming, and I was getting frustrated with adjectives, all of which seem to start with "ma" and are hard for
me to remember.

magalang: polite
malaki: big
matanda: old
mahina: weak
maganda: beautiful
mabilis: fast
mabagal: slow

…and on and on and on. Gah.

So I lowered my new word limit to 10 for the foreseeable future, shut down anki, and wrote a description of my
husband instead:

Heto ang asawa ko, si JP. Maikli ang buhok niya at itim ang mga mata niya. Hindi matangkad siya, pero malakas
at guwapo siya! Matalino at mabait si JP. Gusto ni JP ang isda at talong. Ayaw niya si Bob Dylan. Gusto ko si JP!

This is my husband, JP. He has short hair and black eyes. He isn't tall, but he's strong and good-looking! JP is
smart and kind. JP likes fish and eggplant. (What we were eating for supper when I started making this up. Ha!)
He doesn't like Bob Dylan. (What?!?! I know, right? His loss.) I like JP!

Doing some writing cheered me up, which is surprising because I abhor writing in Spanish.

I think that I need to slow down my learning a bit. While the pace of one Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo lesson and two
Teach Yourself lessons per week is fine for overall understanding, my anki deck is getting too fat and I don't have
enough time to review and practice. I'm a hedonistic language learning. If it's not fun, I won't do it. So the last
thing that I want is to get overwhelmed or frustrated.

I think I'm going to aim for 3 Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo lessons and 4 Teach Yourself lessons per month. This
means that I'll advance less quickly through the courses, but I'll have more time for writing and practice, and I'll
be able to listen to each dialogue more often. I'll still be done both courses by Christmas, which was my original
goal for reaching a low intermediate level.

Edited by Stelle on 11 June 2014 at 11:36am

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 47 of 117
11 June 2014 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I had a great tutoring session last night! I took more of a lead in the session, and rather than letting my tutor
decide what to do, I told her that I just wanted to describe some of my family members. At our next session, I'm
going to do the same (to practice speaking) and also ask her to describe some of her siblings (to practice
listening).

She's a great tutor: patient, friendly, good-natured. I think that once we find our rhythm (and I think that we're
getting there), I'll commit to working with her long-term.

My tutor also made a correction on my text:

Matangkad siya. (He is tall)
Hindi siyang matangkad. (He isn't tall)

The word order changes when the sentence is negative.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 48 of 117
14 June 2014 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
I'm very happy that the Six-Week Challenge is over. I'm a hedonistic language learner. I like to do what I enjoy.
And I *don't* enjoy counting minutes every time I sit down and open a book! I'm glad I participated, but I think
that this will be my last 6 week challenge. The Super Challenge (which I'm doing in Spanish) is much more "me".

But I'm happy to report that I came in 19th, with 29 hours and 24 minutes. I'm very pleased with that! It's an
average of 42 minutes per day, which was about what I was aiming for, and which doesn't include informal
spoken practice with my husband.

When I participated in my first 6WC last summer in Spanish, I logged over 75 hours and came in third. I found it
much easier to put in extra time in Spanish. For one thing, it came to me a lot more quickly. And for another, I
had access to many more resources.

Speaking of resources, I spent a good hour looking online for graded readers in Tagalog. I came up empty-
handed. So I've decided that I'm going to create my own. I dug out some graded readers that I have in French,
and that - despite being old and having rather ugly illustrations - have helped dozens of reluctant readers learn
to love books in my first and second grade classes.

I was able to translate the first few pages, which are very simple. As my knowledge increases, I'll keep looking
through the book and translating a few lines or pages at a time. I had my translations corrected by my husband
and two of my tutors. I printed the lines on sticky notes and put them directly on top of the French words, which
makes it easy to flip and check for understanding if necessary.

Here are the first 3 pages:

Ito ang maliit na pusa. (Here is a small cat.)
Sino ito? (Who is it?)
Ito si Napoleon. (It's Napoleon.)

Si Napoleon ay nag-iisa. (Napoleon is alone.)
Wala siyang nanay. (He has no mother.)
Wala siyang tatay. (He has no father.)
Malungkot siya. (He is sad.)

Si Napoleon ay napaka liit. (Napoleon is very small.)
Ang mga puno ay malaki. (The trees are big.)
Ang mga kotse ay malaki. (The cars are big.)
Ang mga lalaki at babae ay malaki. (The men and women are big.)
Kahit na ang mga bata ay malaki. (Even the children are big.)

Edited by Stelle on 14 June 2014 at 2:11am

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version