949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 73 of 117
04 August 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
talk to someone
not today

listen to something (6 minutes)
listened to Tagalog version of Let It Go, once while reading English and once while singing along

read something (9 minutes)
reading comprehension exercise from Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo
bilingual texts: Why the Sky is High; Napoleon

write something (22 minutes)
translation exercise from Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo
copied out an audio exercise from Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo

practice vocabulary (33 minutes)
anki and memrise
inputted vocab from Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo lesson 8

other (27 minutes)
lesson 2 of Pimsleur

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 97 MINUTES
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 74 of 117
05 August 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I worked with my tutor today. On the one hand, it was a really useful hour - I'm able to converse much more now
than even a month ago. But today I really realized how much I'm using English as a crutch. I keep trying to use
English sentence structures in Tagalog, and they simply don't work. I need to focus on thinking in Tagalog, and
let go of the inner translation trap that I keep falling into.

In addition to simple conversation, I also worked with my tutor to create two more "islands" today (although I'm
really not doing islands exactly as described in How To Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately):

May aso kami. Chase ang pangalan niya. Siyam na taon na siya, pero bata pa siya. Chesapeake Bay Retriever siya,
at malaking malaki - 120 pounds! Medyo mataba siya, kasi gustong gusto niya ng pagkain. Nakakatawa at
mabait na aso siya. Wala kaming anak, kaya pamilya ang turing namin kay Chase.

May alagang hayop ka ba?
Gusto mo ng mga hayop?

We have a dog. His name is Chase. He's nine years old, but he's still young. He's a Chesapeake Bay Retriever,
and really big - 120 pounds! He's a bit chubby, because he really likes food. He's a good, funny dog. We don't
have any kids, but Chase is family. (transliteration: "we treat Chase as family")

Do you have any pets?
Do you like animals?

Nakatira ang pamilya ko sa Ontario. Abogado ang tatay ko at bookkeeper ang nanay ko. Malapit ako sa mga
magulang ko, kaya medyo malungkot ako kasi malayo ang mga bahay namin sa isa't isa. May dalawang kapatid
din ako, isang babae at isang lalaki. J at C ang pangalan nila. Nakatira sila sa Toronto. Technician si J at waitress
si C. May asawa na si J at may dalawang anak na babae sila. Walang asawa si C, pero may nobyo siya.

Saan nakatira ang pamilya mo?
May kapatid ka ba?

My family lives in Ontario. My dad is a lawyer and my mom is a bookkeeper. I'm close to my parents, so I'm a
bit sad because our houses are far from one another. I also have two siblings, a sister and a brother. Their names
are J and C. They live in Toronto. J is a technician and C is a waitress. J is married with two daughters. C isn't
married, but she has a boyfriend.

Where does your family live?
Do you have any siblings?

Today's Tagalog log:

talk to someone (60 minutes)
hour-long session with an italki tutor

listen to something (23 minutes)
reviewed a few older dialogues, and then worked through Teach Yourself unit 7, dialogue 2
sang along once with Bumitaw

read something (7 minutes)
reading comprehension / cloze exercise from Teach Yourself unit 7

write something (11 minutes)
worked on a rough draft of my islands before my tutoring session

practice vocabulary (18 minutes)
anki and memrise

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 119 MINUTES

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 75 of 117
07 August 2014 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
talk to someone
Not today. I really need to take advantage of the fact that I live with a native speaker. On the one hand, I do.
When I'm doing any work in Tagalog, I read things aloud and he corrects my pronunciation and answers any
questions. But we rarely have conversations - I guess because I've already said all of the things I know how to say
to him a hundred times. Ha!

listen to something (12 minutes)
reviewed dialogues from Teach Yourself Filipino

read something (12 minutes)
reading comprehension exercise from Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo, lesson 8 (also read aloud twice to work on
pronunciation)

write something (15 minutes)
Finished up lesson 7 of Teach Yourself Filipino!

practice vocabulary (25 minutes)
anki and memrise - I had lots of watering to do on memrise today!

other (27 minutes)
Listened to 2 episodes of Kalye Speak (didn't count for time, because they're mostly in English)
Lesson 3 of Pimsleur - I actually quite like the course! Even though it's overly formal and not really "street
Tagalog", it does help me to work on sentence structure. Word order changes in Tagalog based on whether a
sentence is affirmative or negative, and it can be tricky to remember. I like having to quickly manoeuvre between
"Nakakaintidi ako" (I understand) and "Hindi ako nakakaintindi" (I don't understand).

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 91 MINUTES

Edited by Stelle on 07 August 2014 at 1:08am

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 76 of 117
08 August 2014 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
talk to someone (10 minutes)
I had a (very painful) conversation with my husband. He's the most patient person I know! Haha!

listen to something (9 minutes)
I listened to the Tagalog version of Let It Go twice, once while reading English and once while singing along. I'm
starting to notice and recognize more words every time. For instance, today I had a lightbulb moment with this
line:

Wag ipaalam, wag ilalabas
 (don't let them know, don't let it out)
Hey! Wait a minute! "Hindi ko alam" means I don't know, and "sa labas" means outside!

I love when connections start to solidify!

I also watched a short video aimed at toddlers, with vegetables reassembling to create a bird. Yes, it's as riveting
as it sounds. Ha! No, actually, I quite liked it! It was very easy, but I might listen to it again tomorrow and
transcribe the Tagalog. Here, you know you want to watch it:

mga gulay / vegetables

read something (23 minutes)
Rather than moving on in Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo, I decided to spend some time reviewing tonight. I read all of
the reading comprehension texts from lesson 1 to lesson 7. It was good to review some of the vocabulary and
expressions that I've learned.

I also read Napoleon, an early reader in French that my former tutor translated into Tagalog for me. Today, I
noticed that the verb aspects switch back and forth between complete and incomplete when they should stay
consistent. I'm going to go over the translation with my new tutor next week to make any necessary corrections.
There are 13 books in the series, and I taught many children to read using those books, so I'd like to get them all
translated.

write something (13 minutes)
I wrote two short texts today, one about the languages that I speak, and one about learning Tagalog. I'll try to get
them corrected shortly.

practice vocabulary (20 minutes)
anki and memrise

other (27 minutes)
lesson 4 of Pimsleur - This one was tricky for me! I keep mixing up the word order when we switch from
affirmative to negative sentences. I also have a hard time remembering which verbs take ako/ka and which ones
take ko/mo. I think I'll redo this lesson before moving on to lesson 5.

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 102 MINUTES

edited to correct a typo

Edited by Stelle on 08 August 2014 at 2:24am

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 77 of 117
09 August 2014 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I put up a link to Tagalog resources on my blog today:

Tagalog resources

talk to someone (20 minutes)
I had a 45 minute Tagalog Skype session today, but we kept reverting to English. I really like this tutor personally,
but she doesn't push me enough and she often asks me questions in English. I'm only counting half the time,
since we only spent half the time talking in Tagalog.

listen to something (9 minutes)
Tagalog songs from Frozen

read something (6 minutes)
Bilingual stories on YouTube

write something (14 minutes)
Not exactly writing - but I spent some time digging through the grammar explanations in Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo
lesson 8

practice vocabulary (25 minutes)
anki and memrise

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 74 MINUTES

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 78 of 117
10 August 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday:

talk to someone
Not today

listen to something (32 minutes)
I listened to short cartoon clips for 20 minutes. I was listening extensively, so I didn't repeat or try to figure out
tricky parts. I was focusing and I understood a lot of individual words, although much of it was beyond me. I
made myself a playlist with 8 or 9 short cartoons (2-4 minutes each).

I also listened intensively to a piece of audio from TMTT lesson 8, listening to it multiple times in order to
transcribe it. There's one sentence at the end that I couldn't quite get. I think it's something like this:

Dimagpunta oo nga ang nanay niya ngayong araw.

But that doesn't make any sense to me. I'll have to get JP to listen to it. But all of the "ng" and "n" sounds, one
after another, were almost impossible to pick apart.

read something (13 minutes)
Read through old and new texts in TMTT textbook. I have to review old texts more often.

I also found an online bookstore that sells bilingual picture books in Canada:

Pinoy Culture

Their prices are reasonable and so is the shipping within Canada. I need some *real* books, so I bought four. I'm
hoping that those will tide me over until we move back to Ontario (soon, I hope!) and I can use the library system.
Our library here has only three Tagalog children's books that I have to borrow from Halifax through interlibrary
loan. I've requested them, but they'll take up to 9 weeks to get here.

write something (28 minutes)
I translated the second Napoleon book with JP's help. I'm not sure we're doing it right, though, since I've never
read any books in Tagalog. Lots of early readers in English and French use the present tense, so that's how we're
translating these. Except that Tagalog doesn't really have present tense in the exact same way. They have
incomplete, complete and contemplated. So we're using incomplete (for present tense), but I'm not sure that's
how children's books in Tagalog work.

practice vocabulary (20 minutes)
anki and memrise

other (27 minutes)
Repeated lesson 4 of Pimsleur. I think that I'm going to aim for a Pimsleur lesson on every day that I don't have a
Skype practice session scheduled.

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 120 MINUTES

Edited by Stelle on 10 August 2014 at 2:34pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 79 of 117
11 August 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
talk to someone
not today

listen to something (10 minutes)
I listened to Tagalog version of Let It Go, once while reading English/Tagalog and once while singing along. Even
after a dozen times, I'm still figuring new things out every time. One thing's for sure...it's taking way longer for
Tagalog to sink in than Spanish!

I also watched a 4-minute video. It's a rather cringe-inducing cartoon about a pig who doesn't share, and so she
doesn't have any friends. It's one of those "and the moral of the story is..." stories that I generally dislike. But -
simply because it's in Tagalog and I can understand many words - I kind of sort of enjoy it. I think I'm going to be
like a kid and watch it every day this week, if I can stand it. Hopefully by the end of the week it will be pretty
transparent.

read something (6 minutes)
Re-read several texts from earlier lessons of Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo.

write something (34 minutes)
Copied out the entire translated text for Napoleon 2 on sticky notes and covered the French text with them, to
create a Tagalog book that I can actually read. This was kind of an accidental project, but I love having bilingual
text hidden under a flap - I only see the French words if I go through the trouble of lifting the flap.

I also worked through 4 or 5 exercises in lesson 8 in the TMTT workbook.

practice vocabulary (22 minutes)
anki and memrise

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 72 MINUTES

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 80 of 117
12 August 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
talk to someone
not today

listen to something (7 minutes)
I watched "Pixie Can Share" (can you guess what the moral of the story is?) for a second time today. I'm going to
watch it every day this week and see how much my comprehension improves.

I also listened to two Kalye Speak podcasts, although I only counted each one as a minute and a half, since the
rest is in English.

read something (35 minutes)
I've been working on building a collection of comprehensible texts. More on that in a future post!

write something (19 minutes)
A few exercises in the TMTT workbook, and transcribing a listening exercise.

practice vocabulary (16 minutes)
anki and memrise

other (27 minutes)
Pimsleur lesson 5. I'm going to repeat this lesson.

TOTAL TIME TODAY: 104 MINUTES

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version