Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 113 of 117
21 September 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
It was a quiet week for Tagalog. As I mentioned in my Spanish log, my dog is very sick. He has a very large
tumour on his kidney, and we're still not quite sure if he's going to make it.

This week I:

- finished lesson 10 of Elementary Tagalog
- started lesson 11 of Elementary Tagalog (all I did so far was input the new vocab to anki)
- completed unit 10 of Teach Yourself Filipino
- translate the fourth Napoleon easy reader (I haven't yet had it corrected by a native speaker)
- sang Anak by Freddie Aguilar several times (I still need my husband to help me transliterate it)
- ran through my anki and memrise decks 6 out of 7 days

My mom is 5 days into an 11-day visit, so I've put all Skype lessons on hold while she's here. I'm always happy to
have my mom here. She lives nearly 2000 km away. I can't wait to move closer to home - only a month to go
before we move back to Ontario from Nova Scotia!

I had some very ambitious goals for September, like learn two new songs, transcribe two cartoons, translate four
easy readers... I definitely won't be making all of those goals. I'm ok with that, since I was getting a bit burnt out,
and there have been a lot of other stressors this month (a very sick dog; multiple house showings + inspection +
fixing problems + a conditional offer that will stand or fall by Tuesday; finding a house to live in when we move
next month). I'm comfortable with not meeting all my goals this month, and I will definitely scale back the goals
for October so that I'm more likely to achieve them.

The only September goals that I expect to make are with my courses. I wanted to finish two lessons/units in each
course, and I'll definitely do that.

I do have to make an effort to include a wider variety of resources until the end of the month, but I'm going to
give myself permission to just watch and listen passively, rather than doing the intensive work that I'd planned on
doing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 114 of 117
24 September 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
notes on grammar / sentence structure: adjectives, comparatives, superlatives, intensifiers

I'm working on adjectives in lesson 11 of Elementary Tagalog (which I still prefer calling Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo!).

beauty (root word): ganda
beautiful: maganda (ma + root word)
very beautiful: magandang-maganda (double the adjective with linker in between) OR napakaganda (napaka +
root word)
as beautiful as: magkasingganda (magkasing + root word)
more beautiful [than]: mas maganda (mas + adjective) [kaysa]
most beautiful: pinakamaganda (pinaka + adjective)

Since the leaves are starting to change and the colder weather is coming, I thought I'd try my hand at a few
sentences using “lamig” (cold). Just pretend it's February.

Malamig sa Toronto. (It's cold in Toronto.)
Malamig na malamig sa Ottawa. / Napakalamig sa Ottawa. (It's very cold in Ottawa.)
Magkasinlamig sa Ottawa at sa Montreal. (It's equally cold in Ottawa and Montreal.)
Mas malamig sa Ottawa kaysa sa Toronto. (It's colder in Ottawa than in Toronto.)
Pinakalamig sa Winnipeg sa lahat. (It's coldest of all in Winnipeg.)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 115 of 117
01 October 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
My goals for September were:
- finish lessons 9 and 10 in Teach Yourself - DONE!
- finish lessons 10 and 11 in Elementary Tagalog - almost (a few more exercises in lesson 11)
- learn to sing two new Tagalog songs - no, although I did listen to Anak several times
- transcribe two more short Tagalog cartoons - no
- translate four more Napoleon easy readers - no, just one. And I haven't had it corrected yet.

Crash and burn for the month of September!!!

There was just too much going on. My mom visited, we sold our house (although we still have to do a few things
- some small, some big - to meet the buyer's conditions), we bought a new house in another province, we said
good-bye to our much-loved dog. It was nuts!

And when things were quiet - well, let's just say that Tagalog didn't jump out as the thing that I wanted to do. I
did manage to speak with my Skype tutors for 3.5 hours, but that was mostly at the beginning of the month.

In the first three weeks of October, we have to finish some repairs to our current house,
clean/purge/organize/pack, and move halfway across the country. So I don't plan on being ambitious with my
goals at all this month.

Besides, I feel as though Elementary Tagalog has just jumped several levels in difficulty. I find myself reading
texts and - despite knowing almost every individual word - having no idea what the sentence means. I have to do
some review and consolidation this month.

With that in mind...

Goals for October:
- lessons 11 (almost done) and 12 of Elementary Tagalog
- keep up with anki and memrise every day
- spend at least 15 minutes at least 5 times a week reviewing what I've already learned

And that's it! I may or may not decide to do any more than that this month.

Edited by Stelle on 01 October 2014 at 2:57pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 116 of 117
06 October 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
My plan so far is working well. My motivation was really waning. And while normally, I would tell people to add
more native materials to increase motivation, it just wasn't working in my case! I needed to scale back
considerably, if only for a month to let myself breathe.

Right now a typical day looks something like this:

- 15-20 minutes vocabulary, running through my anki deck (5 new words per day) and memrise decks (all four
completed, so just reviews)

- 15 minutes review, alternating between reading past texts one day and listening to past audio the next day
(using timer)

- 15 minutes working my way sequentially through Elementary Tagalog (Tara Mag-Tagalog Tayo) (using timer)

I'm also going to aim for one or two italki conversation classes per week.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 117 of 117
13 October 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
For ease of log-keeping, I've decided to merge my Spanish and Tagalog logs. While it made sense to keep
separate logs at first, I'm currently working on simplifying everything in my life - including language-learning!

So all updates will be made here from now on:

Stelle Speaks Spanish and Tagalog

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version