tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 33 of 117
18 May 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Notes on grammar / sentence structure

To help me consolidate my learning, I'm going to intermittently post notes about grammar and sentence
structure. I'm finding that I need to read explanations in the textbook multiple times: once to get an overview, a
second time to make a visual representation of my understanding (usually a web), a third time while correcting
my exercises in the workbook, and then a fourth time while writing a list of sample sentences. I figured that I
may as well share some of my sample sentences here - they may help someone someday!

I'll mark all of these posts with the same heading, so that they're easy to skip for people who aren't interested in
the mechanics of Tagalog.

asking questions

sino + ang phrase (who?)
Sino ang titser mo? (Who is your teacher?)

ano + ang phrase (what?)
Ano ang mga klase mo? (What are your classes?)

taga saan + ang phrase (from where)
Taga saan si Mario? (Where is Mario from?)

nasaan + ang phrase (where is/are)
Nasaan sina Mike at Patrick? (Where are Mike and Patrick?)

saan + verb + ang phrase (where)
Saan nag-aaral si Mike? (Where is Mike studying?)
saan + ang pronoun + verb (where)
Saan siya nag-aaral? (Where is he studying?)

* as far as verbs go, I have 3 memorized from my vocabulary lists:
nag-aaral (is/are studying)
nagtatrabaho (is/are working)
nakatira (is/are residing)

I don't yet know how verbs work, but I can tell that they use suffixes, since each one starts with na/nag.

affirmative and negative statements

Taga-Pilipinas ang babae. / Taga-Pilipinas siya. (The woman/she is from the Philippines)
Hindi taga-Pilipinas ang babae. (The woman is not from the Philippines.)
Hindi siya taga-Pilipinas. (She is not from the Philippines.)

* note that the word order changes in negative statements depending on if we're using an ang phrase (ex. ang
babae - the woman) or an ang pronoun (siya - she)

Nasa aklatan sina Mark at Laura. / Nasa aklatan sila. (Mark and Laura are at the library. / They are at the library.)
to make it negative:
wala + sa (place) + ang phrase
Wala sa aklatan sina Mark at Laura.
wala + ang pronoun + sa (place)
Wala sila sa aklatan.

question marker "ba"

"ba" is a cool word. From what I can tell, it's basically like a question mark that can turn a statement into a
question. For example:

Taga-Canada si Patrick. -> statement: Patrick is from Canada.
Taga-Canada ba si Patrick? -> question: Is Patrick from Canada?

Cool, ba?

Edited by Stelle on 19 May 2014 at 4:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 34 of 117
24 May 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm advancing very slowly through my textbook/workbook, but I'm perfectly ok with that. So long as I put in at
least 30 minutes per day, I consider that a success!

I've started chapter 3, and am struggling a bit with the "gusto" and "ayaw" (like/don't like) structures. They're not
like Spanish, nor are they like English. Hmmmm…I guess they're like Tagalog. I've read through the notes a few
times just to wrap my head around them, and now need to create a web to make more sense out of everything.

I haven't had much luck with my Tagalog tutors over the past week. Both sessions were cancelled, due to storms
and power outages. No one's fault, of course! But I'm hoping that next week I'll be able to have a few one-on-one
sessions to practice the simple constructions that I've learned so far. Unrelated random thought: I'd kind of
imagined myself making a transition from face-to-face teaching to online teaching, and then living in different
(inexpensive) countries for a few months at a time. But internet connection can obviously be sketchy, even in big
modern cities like Manila.

I bought a one-month subscription to tagalogpod101.com for a dollar. It's a good thing that I didn't buy a full
subscription! While there are about 20 lessons for absolute beginners, that's all there is. The beginner and
intermediate categories are empty. There are some advanced podcasts (which are very VERY far above my head),
and they're painfully boring (based on the English translations and on JP's glassy stare when I asked him to
listen). I think that I'll do the beginner lessons until my subscription runs out, but I certainly won't be signing up
for any more.

For now, I'm going to stick to what I've been using so far: the Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo textbook, anki, chats with
my husband, online tutoring (hopefully!) and some youtube videos.

Slow and steady!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 35 of 117
25 May 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Notes on grammar / sentence structure: gusto (like) and ayaw (don't like)

I'm currently on lesson 3 of Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo - and gusto/ayaw are kind of making my head spin!

ng markers: point out the experiencer (the one who likes/doesn't like something) and the object (what is
liked/isn't liked)

ng phrases:

ng aso - dog (singular common noun)
ng mga aso - dogs (plural common noun)
ni Chase - Chase (singular proper noun)
nina Chase at Snowball - Chase and Snowball (plural proper nouns)

ng pronouns:

ko (me), mo (you sing.), niya (he/she), natin (we incl.), namin (we excl.), ninyo (you pl.), nila (they)

indefinite objects

Gusto/ayaw +ng pronoun or ng phrase (the experiencer) + ng phrase (the object)
Gusto ko ng mga pusa. (I like cats)
Ayaw nila ng beysbol. (They don't like baseball)
Gusto nina Mark at Maria ng beysbol. (Maria and Mark like baseball)
Ayaw ni Maria ng mga aso. (Maria doesn't like dogs)

specific/definite objects

gusto/ayaw + ng pronoun (experiencer) + ang phrase (object)

Gusto ko ang pusa. (I like THE cat - a specific cat)
Ayaw niya ako. (He/she doesn't like me)

gusto/ayaw + ang pronoun (object) + ng phrase (experiencer)

Gusto ako ng pusa. (The cat likes me)
Ayaw ako ni Gary. (I don't like Gary)

kita: you by me

Gusto kita. (I like you / you are liked by me)
Ayaw kita. (I don't like you / you are not liked by me)

Me duele la cabeza!

I'm getting there, but it'll be a while before I can generate random sentences without having to do the math in my
head first! I also have to work on my listening. It's hard for me to catch the difference between:

Gusto ko ang pusa (I like the cat)
Gusto ako ng pusa (The cat likes me).

Edited by Stelle on 25 May 2014 at 4:55pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 36 of 117
25 May 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
My second text (posted on italki for corrections):

Magandang hapon! Ako si Stephanie. Taga-Canada ako. Ngayon, nakatira ako sa Nova Scotia. Titser ako sa
eskwelahan. Gusto ko ng mga libro at ng mga wika. Gusto ko ng musika pero ayaw ko ng country music.

my italki notebook entry

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 37 of 117
25 May 2014 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
What an interesting log this is! I haven't yet found the opportunity to start Tagalog on
my own, and I am still not sure when exactly it will happen, but it should happen and
then I will reread this entire thread for inspiration I'm sure!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 38 of 117
26 May 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
What an interesting log this is! I haven't yet found the opportunity to start Tagalog on
my own, and I am still not sure when exactly it will happen, but it should happen and
then I will reread this entire thread for inspiration I'm sure!

Thanks Tarvos! I'm glad you're enjoying the log. I figured that the grammar and sentence structure posts are pretty
dull, but they help me wrap my head around what I'm learning - and they may help someone else someday! Tagalog
is a very cool language…I hope you do decide to learn it in the future.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 39 of 117
27 May 2014 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
I've put up a post on my blog outlining in a bit more detail the resources that I'm currently using to learn Tagalog:

Tagalog resources

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 40 of 117
01 June 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
My learning is chugging along, like an extra-slow steam engine.

Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo

I finished lesson 3 and will be starting lesson 4 today. It takes me about 8 days to make it through a whole lesson
at 20-30 minutes per day. I could probably do it more quickly, but I like the pace, since I find that everything has
time to sink in.

Here's what I'm doing for each chapter:

- inputting all vocabulary into anki
- working through the oral activities with JP (asking and answering questions, creating sentences using what I
already know)
- reading over the grammar explanations three times: once to get a general understanding, a second time to
make handwritten notes, and a third time to do a brief write-up for my log
- working my way through all of the written activities in both the textbook and the workbook (a mix of reading
comprehension, translations, grammar exercises, vocabulary exercises and writing. I also rewrite any dialogues
by hand)
- listening to all of the audio several times in the car (generally 4 tracks per chapter: vocabulary, dialogue,
dictation of simple sentences, dialogue)
- doing transcriptions with any of the listening exercises. While most of them are "listen and answer the
questions" in the book, I prefer to transcribe word-for-word, then listen/read, then recite along with the
dialogue. JP makes sure that my transcriptions are correct. It takes me quite a bit of time to transcribe, but I feel
that it's enormously useful.
- creating anki audio cards of dialogues so that I keep revisiting them in later days/weeks
- writing a short text and posting it on italki for corrections from native speakers
- doing a last sweep of the whole chapter, inputting difficult sentences from dialogues or texts into Anki

When I type it all out, it sounds kind of boring! But there's a good variety of activities, the pace is manageable,
and I feel that every new thing that I'm learning builds on what I learned before. Quite the opposite of boring!

Complete Filipino: a Teach Yourself Guide

I received this guide from Amazon on Friday. It comes with a book and 2 CDs. So far I've only done the first
lesson. While I can't really give much of a review yet, I like it so far. There's a bit too much English in the audio,
but there's a good variety of dialogues, vocabulary and pronunciation exercises. The woman's voice is really
grating, but I'm hoping that I'll get used to it! I'm not sure how quickly I should aim to work my way through the
Teach Yourself program. Anyone have any experience with this series? How did you use it?

FilipinoPod101

I've worked through the first 5 dialogues, which means that I'm 25% finished with the absolute beginner lessons.
There is *way* too much English in any of the podcasts, so I don't listen to the whole thing. I just skim through
the PDF transcript, and then use the dialogue audio (without all of the teaching). I've been creating anki audio
cards with the dialogue and the Tagalog transcript on the front, and the English translation on the back. The
dialogues on FilipinoPod101 aren't as useful as the ones in either of the courses that I'm using, but it's nice to
have another source of audio.

italki tutors

I've had some good luck and some bad luck with tutors. I've missed several sessions due to internet issues or
power outages, so I only managed 20 minutes of tutoring last week. I've found one tutor that I really like, but I'm
still looking for a few more so that I can work with multiple people. I have a first session with a new teacher on
Tuesday, so we'll see how it goes. My goal is two 30-45 minute sessions per week. Once I'm off work in July, I'd
like to increase that to three per week.

anki

It currently takes me about 15 minutes to work through my various anki decks.

My main deck has a mix of cards:

- L1 -> L2 vocabulary
- L1 -> L2 simple sentences
- L2 -> L1 tricky sentences
- L2 -> L1 longer texts (full dialogues, mainly) so that I keep rereading and revisiting them

My main deck is set at 10 new cards per day, with a maximum of 100 reviews per day (although up until now I've
never had more than 40).

My two secondary decks are the audio deck (a mix of filipinopod101 and the audio from Tara, Mag-Tagalog
Tayo), and a picture deck which I'm building very slowly. I probably only add about 10 words to that one per
week, but my goal is to keep building it at a quicker pace.

20 minutes is probably the upper limit for the amount of time that I want to spend on anki every day. If it gets to
the point where it takes me more than 20 minutes for all of my Tagalog decks combined, I'll reevaluate how I'm
using it.

native materials

I'm not really using anything yet, aside from my husband and my Tagalog tutors. I generally advocate for
including native materials right from the beginning, but time is tight right now, and I feel that the best current
use of my time is to keep working through my courses. In July, I'd like to start learning a song every week.

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version