Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Protect your memory

Tags: Brain | Memory
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 26
27 December 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Take vitamin D and do Interval Training where your heart rate is 90+% of its theoretical max during portions of the workout. For me, these have been the best things for brain health.
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4455 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 2 of 26
27 December 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Take melatonin :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 26
27 December 2013 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Interesting. I don't have a mobile phone. but that's mostly because I think most people spend too much time on empty babble. If that decision also has saved my brain from getting fried then so much the better.

Edited by Iversen on 27 December 2013 at 7:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4231 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 26
27 December 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I know a 90-year old lady living across town who is very health conscious. She would only buy food from grocers
that are certified organic. The whole house full of old incandescent light bulbs because the fluorescent lamps
contain mercury. Besides busy performing music for several bands and directing local plays, the lady hardly ever
watch TV. In the kitchen there is a microwave but she would only use in absolute emergency. The house is
connected to the Internet but the connection modem on the table is off when not in use.

There are a lot of topics covered in 1 post. Each can be a separate discussion in a scientific journal on its own.
Don't think this belongs to a forum for learning languages.

Richard Burton
Spain
Joined 4119 days ago

34 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*

Message 5 of 26
27 December 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your interest. I was unsure how this kind of thing would sit here.

I'd like to add that the "amnesic aphasia" I have experienced first hand temporarily when being heavily exposed (close to several cell-phone towers, also called masts) and it is a very terrifying and irritating thing for a linguist. I also observed it in a professional interpreter, who was getting terribly anxious about her mental problems (imagine what it is to be at an interpreter cabin and find that your linguistic fluency has left you).

It is worth mentioning that the other two items radiating the most are cordless phones at homes and wifi, but really the number of devices is getting into the several dozens of them. Protection is becoming almost a science, a really complex subject.

It is also worth mentioning that, actually, at a first moment cell-phone use actually excites the brain, particularly the linguistic center in the brain, making people compulsorily loquatious, what accounts for the babble Iversen mentioned. It has been proved that a 10 min conversation keeps the brain overexcited for 2 hours. So at the beginning actually you get a feeling of being very fluent in your languages, very much like one experiences with alcohol. Problem comes long-term-wise.

Edited by Richard Burton on 27 December 2013 at 8:31pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 26
27 December 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
To add a bit of balance:

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

"In the area of biological effects and medical applications of non-ionizing radiation approximately 25,000 articles have been published over the past 30 years. Despite the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals. Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields."

http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/pdf/0185.pdf

"Currently, the only known measurable negative effects of EMFs are related to quality-of-life issues. Local power lines, poles, substations, and high voltage transmission lines are aesthetically displeasing."

---

Certainly it's imaginable that in a world of constant electronic contact and instant gratification some people could become "irritable" or "impatient" for reasons other than the EM fields...

Edited by tastyonions on 27 December 2013 at 8:34pm

16 persons have voted this message useful

Richard Burton
Spain
Joined 4119 days ago

34 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*

Message 7 of 26
27 December 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Yes, Tastyonions, I knew someone like you would come up with...that. I know they dont say anything in tv, and there is the institutions, the industries paying studies, and I know you have a "box" too solidly build to be rocked now. It is too late for the great majority. But, like the poet Juan Ramón Jiménez, I write for the minority. I write for the survivors, the independent, the ones who dont trust institutions or media anymore. I know that we have grown to be two completely different people, and is not my intention to change anybody. It is too late. I only mean to serve the few of my people who are still out there. Who are experiencing symptoms and getting distressed.

I only want to say one thing: observe, experience, believe in your own perceptions first, if you have some sort of autonomous thinking ability left, and self-respect. It is the only thing that is left. Then they will tell you that you have a new disorder, phobia to technology, s in your mind, etc. And the decision will be yours, as always, in fact, was.

Edited by Richard Burton on 27 December 2013 at 8:50pm

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4040 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 26
27 December 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
We must remember that the radiation that you would get for being one second under the midday sun is roughly equivalent to duct taping some hundred cellphones to your head for twelve thousand years. Radio waves are very unenergetic and the wavelength is often kilometers. The energy such radiation contains is not enough to knock a single electron off its atom from any human cell.

Also I would add that the addition of mentions of murders and suicides just reeks of populism and poor research. There is not a single hard fact; how does this radiation indeed affect the brain, alter the alpha-wave frequency, and so on? Could it be, that an ELECTRICAL MRI-machine just reacted to the interference of electromagnetic radiation and it showed up in the results, rather than it affecting the patient's brain?

People understand radiation so poorly. All radiation is more or less the same, it's just about the amount of energy contained in it and its wavelength. Each and every one of us is under constant bombardment of background radiation created by radioactive materials in the soil. Why would some tiny weak radiation sources called "cellphones" would be of any harm?

All in all as it stands I don't believe one bit of it until there is some hard evidence behind it.

12 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version