Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Protect your memory

Tags: Brain | Memory
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Richard Burton
Spain
Joined 4110 days ago

34 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*

Message 9 of 26
27 December 2013 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
:) who told you that??? but you are free to believe it; as I said, you are free to believe one front of sources, or the other. I only can claim around 6000 studies (in English, I suspect there must be a bit more in Russian and Japanese), not financed by the industries, some "martyrs", or at least, fired, professors left on the way.

I say that the only true third option is your own perception, experience and observation. Some people value this, others dont. Actually, if you have been a heavy user for 15 or 20 years now, and you dont feel anything, you are energetic and mentally alert, ready to learn Aramaic in two months, I recommend you to just keep as you are. No irony! And my admiration. Either you are not bioelectrical beings, or have a tremendously strong constitution. I honestly admire all people who are not affected.

Edited by Richard Burton on 27 December 2013 at 9:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5338 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 10 of 26
28 December 2013 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
Also I would add that the addition of mentions of murders and suicides just reeks of populism and poor research. There is not a single hard fact

Agreed, it is nice to be reminded occassionaly of the risks that life entails, but I don't think this is really a suitable topic, as there is no way anyone can debate it sensibly.

[edit] coming soon: the impact of climate warming on language learning.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 28 December 2013 at 6:26pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5203 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 26
28 December 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
While I'm not unmoved by the possibilities evoked by the thread creator, the 'well the
studies you cite are just part of the system man' argument is not an honest one, and
saying that you are not here to debate, but to further inform only those who already
adopt your theses ("It is too late."), then I don't see the point. Let's have a debate,
not a show of self-pity and righteousness of the 'I write for the survivors' calibre.
Debate would help, given the apparently controversial nature of the subject.

Improbably
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4714 days ago

34 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English

Message 12 of 26
28 December 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
One word: nocebo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

Though I suspect the sufferers will deny any suggestions of fallability of their human minds, and will remain staunchly convinced, continuing to cite thousands of studies that may or may not be flawed (or be about the subject whatsover), and that they most certainly haven't read.

I like this quote by theoretical physicist, and receiver of the Nobel Prize in Physics, Richard Feynman: "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool."
3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4443 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 26
28 December 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Richard Burton wrote:
:)I only can claim around 6000 studies (in English, I suspect
there must be a bit more in Russian and Japanese), not financed by the industries, some
"martyrs", or at least, fired, professors left on the way.

Assuming you can risk being within the reach of a 50Hz (or 60Hz) EM field for long enough
to power up some electronics, could you post a small sample of references to these
studies?

Given the speed of the forum, I expect that asking you to post more than (say) ten
references would be asking you to expose yourself to unbearably high levels of dangerous
radiation. Although your sacrifice would undoubtedly help others ...

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5319 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 14 of 26
28 December 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Richard Burton wrote:
Yes, Tastyonions, I knew someone like you would come up
with...that.

I'm going to call BS on the article you copy and pasted. First, the uproar about the
idea that the small amounts of radiation that people are exposed to from cellphones and
celltowers being harmful to people's health has long been debunked many times. Second,
transcranial magnetic stimulation is generally used to treat treatment-resistant major
depressive disorder. The few long term studies that have come out have been positive
but either way it has nothing to do with the author's claims. Third the author is a
psychiatrist not a neurologist. Psychiatrists generally do not work a whole lot
with memory outside of psychiatric disorders (if she was talking about memory patterns
of people who had dissosiative disorders I'd give her more credence) and when they do
it is generally in conjunction with neurologists.

Additionally, she is going off of " personal observations made in [her] practice". If
she had done a well conducted study then that'd be one thing, but she is going purely
off of her own anecdotal evidence.

Whether or not this was in a medical journal, I see no reason why one should give it
much if any weight.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5098 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 15 of 26
28 December 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
Whether or not this was in a medical journal, I see no reason why one should give it much if any weight.

Actually, the “Umwelt‐Medizin‐Gesellschaft” journal that published the article that Richard Burton mentioned, is not an independent peer-reviewed medical journal, but a journal published by privately owned German publisher and service provider UMG, which has been specializing in papers about the dangers of environmental pollution since the late 80s. That doesn't automatically invalidate the article, but might suggest that they probably cherry-pick the articles that they publish.

Even though some studies suggest that there's a correlation between cell phone exposure and the risk of developing certain types of cancers, the majority of studies is still inconclusive. For more information on this, see this very detailed National Cancer Institute article.

@Richard Burton: Unless you wear your cell phone in a headband with direct skin contact 24/7, it's not very likely to negatively affect your brain and your memory. You may also want to read up on the Nocebo effect.

There's also an interesting Freakonomics podcast about the "Carpal Tunnel Epidemic" in the 1980s, which explains where all those white-collar carpal tunnel syndrome victims went.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4446 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 16 of 26
29 December 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Like I said, if you're excessively exposed to cellphone/WiFi radiation, you should take melatonin.
This microwave radiation causes neurological deficits and even cancers by
inhibition of production of endogenous melatonin. Melatonin is one of the most important
antioxidants and anticancer molecules in our body (it's so powerful it is
used as an adjuvant in chemotherapy and in therapy of radiation exposure).
You should turn your WiFi off in your bedroom, and leave your cellphone in another room (living room for instance), it's a bad thing for your health to have it by your bed/head all night long.

Some references:

''The effect of electromagnetic radiation on the rat brain: an experimental study.
CONCLUSION:
EMR causes to structural changes in the frontal cortex, brain stem and cerebellum and impair the oxidative stress and inflammatory cytokine system. This deterioration can cause to disease including loss of these areas function and cancer development.''

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24310452

-

''Cell phone radiation exposure on brain and associated biological systems

The present study summarizes the public issue based on mobile phone radiation exposure and their biological effects. This review concludes that the regular and long term use of microwave devices (mobile phone, microwave oven) at domestic level can have negative impact upon biological system especially on brain. It also suggests that increased reactive oxygen species (ROS) play an important role by enhancing the effect of microwave radiations which may cause neurodegenerative diseases.''
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23678539

-

''Pathophysiology of microwave radiation: effect on rat brain.

The study concludes that a reduction in melatonin or an increase in caspase-3, creatine kinase, and calcium ion may cause significant damage in brain due to chronic exposure of these radiations. These biomarkers clearly indicate possible health implications of such exposures.''

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22134878

-

''The effect of melatonin on body mass and behaviour of rats during an exposure to microwave radiation from mobile phone.

Microwave radiation causes body mass decrease and anxiety related behaviour in rats, however melatonin causes a reverse of those effects on both body weight and behaviour of irradiated animals (Fig. 2, Ref. 32).''

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22616582

Edited by Medulin on 29 December 2013 at 4:47pm

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version