Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 73 of 227
08 March 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Josquin wrote:

The good thing is Gaeilge gan Stró doesn't teach the Cois Fharraige dialect, so you
can actually pronounce words like they're written.

Does such an accent exist in the living Irish language?

Well, of course there still are all the superfluous vowels because of "caol le caol agus leathan le leathan". But the pronunciation of Standard Irish seems to be a lot less irregular than the one of Cois Fharraige. Now, I can actually predict how words have to be pronounced, which was impossible for Cois Fharraige pronunciation.

And yes, phonetics really don't get much space in English textbooks either. Every German textbook I know has a "pronunciation" section before the first lesson starts.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 74 of 227
08 March 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Well, of course there still are all the superfluous vowels because of "caol le caol agus leathan le leathan". But the pronunciation of Standard Irish seems to be a lot less irregular than the one of Cois Fharraige. Now, I can actually predict how words have to be pronounced, which was impossible for Cois Fharraige pronunciation.

And yes, phonetics really don't get much space in English textbooks either. Every German textbook I know has a "pronunciation" section before the first lesson starts.

What native irish speakers use this "Standard Irish pronunciation"?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 75 of 227
08 March 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm no expert on Irish dialects, but obviously all speakers on the recordings are native speakers. There are speakers of different dialects, so there is no "artificial" standardized language being used.

I think there's a slight preference for Connacht Irish in the course, but it's not Cois Fharraige Irish. The Cois Fharraige dialect has a peculiar tendency towards contracting syllables and shifting vowels, which doesn't exist in other dialects.

Anyway, as a learner of Irish, one has to make compromises. I think there's no use in specializing in one and only one particular dialect when you're learning through books and media. So, the Caighdeán Oifigiúil is a good starting point for learners from abroad although it isn't really spoken by natives. You can always specialize in a certain dialect when you actually go to a Gaeltacht.

Edited by Josquin on 08 March 2014 at 8:59pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 76 of 227
08 March 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
The problem with the Official Standard is that it doesn't have standard pronunciation, so
the question how to pronounce it remains.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 77 of 227
09 March 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
The only accent that stands out is the Northern girl who has [æ:] instead of [aː] (for instance in the words breá and lá). Other than her, everyone speaks pretty much alike except for prosody and timbre, with slight variations here and there. But as always, learn the basics, and adapt to whatever role model(s) you have.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 78 of 227
16 March 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 16 MARCH 2014

My private life has been a rollercoaster for the last few days, so I'm afraid I can't report much studying again.

Русский

Мне очень жаль, но я опять ничего не делал на русском языке. Я хотел бы читать что-то на русском, когда у меня будет время, но, к сожалению, в данный момент мне некогда. Последние недели были ужасными, потому что у меня был только стресс. Ну, я надеюсь, что ситуация скоро улучится. Терпение, пожалуйста!

Gaeilge

Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge aríst.

I have finished unit 4 in Gaeilge gan Stró now. I like that I can listen to almost the entire lessons on the recordings, but, as I said, I wished there were just a little bit more grammar explanations. Well, I can live with it.

I have also worked on the first three lessons of Living Language. As I said, you can forget the recordings, but the book is quite good. There's quite a unique methodology: You are supposed to learn the words and phrases of the lesson first, then you do the grammar, and then you get to the dialogue. It's a bit similar to the way the lessons in Learning Irish are structured.

I rather learn words in context than from a list, so I don't adhere to this scheme. At the moment, there aren't many unknown words anyway. The grammar explanations are good, but in lesson 3 they seriously expect you to learn the prepositional pronouns of 14 prepositions, which is a little bit too much in my humble opinion.

日本語

また、日本語を習っています。 今、Genkiの本の弟八課を勉強して、 JapanesePod101の第二十六課を聞きました。 面白かったです。 日本語を勉強するのが大好きです。 ちょっと難しいですが、大丈夫ですよ。

EDIT: Corrections are, as always, very welcome!

Edited by Josquin on 16 March 2014 at 5:01pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 79 of 227
16 March 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Do not worry, you will get more time for Russian when the roller coaster slows down. Life first, language
studies second.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 80 of 227
16 March 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
As I was -sloooowly- catching up with the thread I got the feeling you were getting everything back under control, so sorry to hear that. I sometimes feel like I've been hiding under a rock for most of my life too and when I've had to get out it wasn't for fun either, so I kind of know what you mean. As has been said, hang in there and sort out your priorities, and chances are you'll both solve your real problems and find time to get back at the stuff you like. Good luck and all the best.

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version