SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 81 of 227
16 March 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Are there any certain grammar elements which (you think) the book doesn't explain? I know you mentioned the vocative before - I don't know if there's more to it than "A..." +lenition (where possible) +slender final consonant for male names. Anything else during the first three-four chapters? I don't know if they've given plural forms for each noun yet (at least not genitive forms), but (I think) it's a question of how much one is likely to absorb in one sitting. I'm very happy that my lessons in Old Irish introduce one new grammar element (or two) at a time.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're back on track!
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 82 of 227
16 March 2014 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Cristina, mrwarper, and jeff_lindqvist!

Well, the situation has already got better, but now I'm having trouble with my flatmate who has opposed the termination of his lease. So, in order not to get into some kind of lawsuit, I'll have to find a compromise with him. This probably means that I'll have to live two more months with him before I can rent his room to someone else.

This whole situation has caused me a lot of stress, but I have a slight hope that there might be light on the horizon. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can find a sensible solution with my current flatmate and then I hope I'll find someone I get along with better.

There have been days when I couldn't even think about studying, but now I actually feel that it offers me some kind of distraction. I finished unit 8 in Genki today and it was a great feeling. So, yes, I hope I can get back to Russian soon.

@Jeff: At the moment, I kind of miss some better explanations of the present habitual in unit 5, but I hope they'll come later. These first units are primarily repetition for me, so it's not that bad that the focus is more on speaking than on understanding.

Edited by Josquin on 16 March 2014 at 4:59pm

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 83 of 227
16 March 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
また、日本語を習っています。 今、Genkiの本の弟八課を勉強して、 JapanesePod101の第二十六課を聞きました。 面白かったです。 日本語を勉強するのが大好きです。 ちょっと難しいですが、大丈夫ですよ。

Since you asked for corrections, there was one thing I noticed in your Japanese, although it may well have just been a typo as you used the correct kanji later on in your sentence:

弟八課 should be written 第八課

弟 means おとうと (younger brother)
第 means -th

But they both share the same on reading, ダイ, with 弟 being the phonetic component of 第.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 84 of 227
16 March 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Oh, thank you, g-bod. I didn't even notice that. The kanji look so alike!

I suppose that's the real challenge in learning kanji: telling apart the similar ones.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 85 of 227
16 March 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
@Jeff: At the moment, I kind of miss some better explanations of the present habitual in unit 5, but I hope they'll come later. These first units are primarily repetition for me, so it's not that bad that the focus is more on speaking than on understanding.

Oh yeah, there were some confusing weeks last autumn when we spent time on the tenses for the first time, and when to use "Tá sé ag obair", "Bíonn sé ag obair" and "Oibríonn sé" wasn't all that obvious. I'm pretty sure there are explanations in later lessons (if not, you may see have some in your other study material).

PolyNotYet
Diglot
Japan
Joined 3781 days ago

10 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: French, German, Persian

Message 86 of 227
17 March 2014 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
It's great to see an such an interest in Irish! This is a good website for Irish
grammar.The third chapter has a short piece on the habitual present.
http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 87 of 227
17 March 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
MONDAY, 17 MARCH 2014

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!
Happy St Patrick's Day!

I honoured the patron saint of Ireland with a good dose of Irish today.

But first of all, thanks for the link, PolyNotYet! I knew that website, but I didn't think of having a look at it for the present habitual. Well, actually I followed Jeff's advice and complemented the explanations in Gaeilge gan Stró with the chapter about the present tense in Nancy Stenson's Basic Irish.

My problem with Gaeilge gan Stró is that they don't even explain how the present habitual is formed from a verb stem. I understand that the focus is on teaching useful phrases and constructions, but you just can't do without some grammar.

So, I completed unit 5 in Gaeilge gan Stró and covered a great deal of unit 6. As I said, most of it is repetition for me, so I can move forward quickly. I took a break from Living Language though and had a closer look at Basic Irish instead.

Other than that, I finally did some Russian again. I studied unit 6 in Colloquial Russian 2, which was more interesting than the previous ones. The text was about Russian theatre and the grammar mainly dealt with participles.

No Japanese for today, but maybe I'll listen to another episode of JapanesePod101 while cooking dinner later.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 88 of 227
22 March 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 22 MARCH 2014

I'm finally doing better, but I had a lot of work to do this week, so I didn't get to study much. On the bright side, I have finally finished a chapter of my dissertation on which I had been working for ages, so I can completely concentrate on languages this weekend.

Русский

Still working on unit 6 in Colloquial Russian 2. If I have enough time, I'll have a look at native materials soon, but, generally speaking, I'm not that interested in Russian right now. I'll rather concentrate on Japanese and Irish for the time being.

Gaeilge

Still working on unit 6 in Gaeilge gan Stró. I have decided to focus on this course and to supplement it with more detailed grammar infos from Living Language and Basic Irish. After finishing Gaeilge gan Stró, I might give Learning Irish another shot.

日本語

I'm very much enjoying my Japanese studies at the moment. I'm on unit 9 in Genki and still on lesson 26 of JapanesePod101. Besides my language studies, I'm reading about Japanese culture for fun. I don't know why, but I've really got to love the language and the culture, and I'd love to go to Japan sometime.

Although Japanese is still very exotic, it's not as alien any more as it used be. Conjugating verbs and adjectives can still be a little bit confusing, but I feel like I really have a foundation now that I can build upon.

Edited by Josquin on 22 March 2014 at 5:58pm

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version