Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 25 of 227
12 January 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I can't advise you on the languages obviously, but I'm happy you chose the audio way! We could also read small native texts, for pronunciation purposes. Maybe a Pushkin poem, or a favourite passage?

We are not making a fool of ourselves, on the contrary :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 26 of 227
12 January 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Overall I thought your intonation was pretty good (again, coming from what I know about pitches on individual words, as opposed to sentences as a whole), but there were a couple of places where it was a bit off

こんにちは - I think you started off too high, the こ sounded a bit higher than the following couple of morae, when it should be lower (the pitch accent is on は)
ドイツ人 - while ドイツ is accented on the first mora, like you pronounced it, in ドイツ人 the accent is on the third. From my observations, in most if not all of the "country name + 人" constructions the pitch drops right before the 人 (Edit: just realized that this doesn't apply to 日本人; not sure about other countries ending with ん).
29歳 - 20 is supposed to be accented on the first mora, but I'm not entirely sure how the 9 and 歳 are supposed to work into it.
大変ですよ。 - the pitch kinda veered downwards on this whole phrase, which isn't really supposed to happen. 大変 is pitch 0.

Still, I am pretty impressed. I don't think my performance would have been better, since I only really started paying attention to pitch relatively late in my studies. 頑張ってね!

Edited by vonPeterhof on 12 January 2014 at 9:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 27 of 227
14 January 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Good idea, renaissancemedi! Maybe we could read out small Russian texts during the Skype meetings of Team Katyusha. That reminds me that I wanted to organize one soon... :)

Thanks for your feedback, vonPeterhof! I'm glad I didn't do too poorly on the pitch accent. I used to pay more attention to it when I was studying with Colloquial, but now I simply try to imitate the recordings that I'm listening to. Pity that there aren't any native speakers on the forum who could give further advice. Arekkusu did some YouTube videos on pitch accent some time ago, but he isn't taking part in this year's TAC.

Yeah, other than that, I'm finally back to studying. Once I had returned from Denmark, the new year started out rather stressful. I had to cancel a concert and didn't even have time for my thesis, but things are slowly getting back to normal. I did a repetition unit today in order to remind myself where I left off last year.

So, I basically had a look at unit 5 in Colloquial Russian 2, at lesson 10 in Learning Irish, and at unit 6 in Genki. I didn't do anything spectacular, but at least I'm back! I noticed I'll probably have to get back to using Anki again, because I had a hard time remembering Japanese words in general and more abstract Russian words. Well, I tried to live without Anki, but maybe the trouble will be worth it.

Edited by Josquin on 14 January 2014 at 7:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 28 of 227
14 January 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
What about Memrise, Josquin? I'm more and more tempted towards using it and leaving Anki.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4363 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 29 of 227
14 January 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

Can we say just Mise mac léinn?

Not in my dialect anyway, though 'mac léinn mise' would be acceptable in spoken language
in the west.

@Josquin, keep the tapped R like you have it, it's what native speakers use in Connemara
and in every Gaeltacht except (I think) Kerry where the English influence has taken over.
As for the slender R, that's a whole different story! In my dialect it sounds something
similar to the fricative sounding Czech R (though tapped for the most part).

Edited by liammcg on 15 January 2014 at 8:15pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4424 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 30 of 227
14 January 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
What about Memrise, Josquin? I'm more and more tempted towards using
it and leaving Anki.

I've used memrise quite happily for quite a while now. However, it had a period of very
slow operation over part of December and that lead to me falling quite a long way behind
on the memrise courses I was following. At least Anki is always there!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 31 of 227
19 January 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 19 JANUARY 2014

Thanks for the info, liammcg! I was a little bit confused concerning the pronunciation of the broad R, because I hear a lot of English R's when listening to Irish. Even Colloquial Irish teaches the English R (probably in order to save native English speakers the trouble of learning the tapped R)! Yeah, the slender R is somewhat special. It has a quite distinct sound, which is sometimes difficult to reproduce. The fricative quality is definitely there!

Expugnator and dampingwire: Thanks for the recommendation! I have never tried memrise, but perhaps I'll give it a shot. I can probably do without an SRS for Russian, but I'll still need one for Japanese.

So, what did I do last week? Not exactly much. My private life is somewhat turbulent at the moment, so I'm far from studying regularly, but at least I wasn't completely idle.

Русский

I have started to work on unit 5 in Colloquial Russian 2, which is all about sports. Well, this isn't my favourite topic, but it's okay. There are several grammar points repeated in this unit: relative clauses, the superlative of adjectives, the prepositions из, от, and с, and finally stress patterns of masculine nouns. I think the last one is quite interesting although I really don't know how much practical use there is in knowing the possible patterns. I'll tell you as soon as I have internalized them.

Also, I tried to watch the first episode of the Russian TV series Достоевский, but I understood almost nothing! The series starts with Dostoyevsky's mock execution in 1849, followed by scenes from the prison camp. Well, the language was very difficult to follow, so I gave up after about a quarter of an hour. Instead, I watched some Чебурашка, which I understood for the greatest part.   

日本語

I have worked through unit 6 in Genki, although I skipped most of the exercises and still have to learn most of the vocabulary. The grammar wasn't really new to me, but Genki explains it much better and more detailed than Colloquial Japanese does. The next unit will be about the te-form of verbs + いる and the te-form of adjectives. This isn't new to me either, but some repetition won't hurt.

Gaeilge

I did especially little in Irish. I read through the text of lesson 10 in Learning Irish and listened to the recordings, but I didn't really concern myself with the grammar of this lesson. The topic is if-clauses (which I think is ridiculous for beginners!) and possessive pronouns plus their mutations. I still know the latter from Colloquial Irish, so I will be able to concentrate on the if-clauses as soon as I have time for Irish again.

Edited by Josquin on 19 January 2014 at 5:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 32 of 227
20 January 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I've seen Достоевский with greek subtitles, and liked it a lot. He was such a different man than I had imagined when I was younger, reading his books! This actor is wonderful, he has also played the Idiot in a great, great tv adaptation. You probably know it, but if you haven't seen it, try to find it on youtube. It's worth it.

Edit: Идиот

Edited by renaissancemedi on 20 January 2014 at 10:00pm

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version