Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 4998 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Dutch, Flemish*, English, German, French
Studies: Swedish, Welsh

Message 1 of 17
28 December 2013 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
I've decided to jump on the TAC bandwagon as well and I will be logging the following languages here:

Swedish:I did 2 years of evening classes but stopped in the 3rd year (last November). I would actively want to start studying it again because if I don't, I'll forget everything I learnt over the past 2 years. I'm currently at an A2 level, I hope to be able to get it to B1/B2 by the end of the year.

Welsh: I once started evening classes in Welsh (back when I was still living in Wales) but I never got very far. However, this amazing language has never ceased to interest me, and I've kept a very keen interest in Celtic languages in general. I would therefore like to start studying Welsh on my own, I will also be spending 2 weeks in Wales in May so hopefully I'll be able to speak a bit then. I'm currently at an A0 level, I hope to get this to A2 by the end of the year.

I also hope to be able to spend some time brushing up my Spanish again, and I hope to get started with Italian by the end of 2014. Furthermore, I want to make an effort in ensuring that my French and German skills don't sink any further.

Edited by Sabrina VG on 04 January 2014 at 10:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6011 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 2 of 17
28 December 2013 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Which materials are you planning to use to learn Swedish?
Are you going to native materials like SVT?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sabrina VG
Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 4998 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 3 of 17
28 December 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Hey Mareike,

For Swedish, I plan on using the course I got from my evening classes (it was a handmade course, basically just a whole bunch of A4 pages but it was pretty good). Furthermore, I also have Assimil's "Schwedish ohne Mühe" which I plan on using alongside it. Hopefully, that should brush up my German skills together with my Swedish ones.

Apart from that, I plan on using the internet: listen to online radio, watch online TV, etc. I also have 3 Swedish children's books which I plan to read throughout the year.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 4 of 17
28 December 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Hej Sabrina!

I'm glad you've decided to join us in the Scandinavian Team for TAC'14. I wish you a lot of success with your language journey next year, especially with Swedish.

If you need any resources, please remember to check the first page of our team log, maybe you can find something useful there. And if you know of or find any (legal) interesting material online, let us know so we can keep our linkography updated.

Lycka till!

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6011 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 5 of 17
28 December 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sabrina,

I just asked, because I'm looking for material to move from learning into native material.

I took a look in your team log and I've found my activity for the next evenings. (Tidsdeckarna

Good luck with your studies

Sabrina VG
Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 4998 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 6 of 17
28 December 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Emme, I already checked the first post in the team thread, and there are some amazing links there! I will definitely be using a lot of the material posted there alongside the courses I already have.

Mareike, glad to hear you found something to your liking! Those Tidsdeckarna episodes surely look great and I will surely watch them!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 17
30 December 2013 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Veel succes met het Zweeds en Welsh. En blij dat er ook weer eens wat moedertaalsprekers
van het Nederlands (Vlaams?) aanwezig zijn hier.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 17
30 December 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sabrina,

I referred to it in Teango's thread, but here is a link:

Say Something in Welsh

The beginner's course is entirely free ... 26 audio lessons of >30 minutes each plus 10 vocab sessions, so it's not
insubstantial.

There are then intermediate and advanced courses.

SSiW is perfect for anyone learning on their own. With their method, you are speaking from day 1, and you are also listening
to native speakers. When you get to a certain point, you are encouraged to find skype and/or G+ hangout partners, which you
can do via the SSiW forum, and of course, you are encouraged to speak face to face if ever you get the opportunity. One can
also listen to Radio Cymru or watch S4C via the internet.

Hwyl fawr.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version