Belgium
Joined 5007 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Dutch, Flemish*, English, German, French
Studies: Swedish, Welsh

Message 9 of 17
31 December 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Tarvos,

Inderdaad heel leuk om ook af en toe eens iets in je moedertaal te kunnen schrijven, voor mij is dit inderdaad het Vlaams :-)
Veel succes met je studies, vooral je vooruitgang in het Bretoens zal ik in de gaten houden, die taal staat namelijk ook nog op mijn "verlanglijstje".

Montmorency,

Thanks for the link, that course looks really good! I've just been listening to the 1st lesson and it will definitely become part of my study material. Listening to Radio Cyrmu or watching S4C is also a good idea! It's amazing to see how much course material one has access to now, thanks to the internet. All of this would have been impossible 20 years ago or so.
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4400 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 17
31 December 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Just a little message to wish you luck in your studies, particularly in Welsh! I dabbled
in Welsh a bit this year but hadn't the time to commit to it, maybe this log will provide
a bit of motivation for me! ;)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 17
31 December 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Hello, teammate!

I'm looking forward to reading you, both for our common Swedish and for Welsh. It has tempted me for a long time but I have still got enough on my plate so I can only cheer for those learning it already! I wish you all the best in 2014.

Sabrina VG
Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 5007 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 12 of 17
01 January 2014 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Right, since it's the 1st of January, this means today is the "official" kick-off of my 2014 TAC project!
Before I post an overview of what I want to achieve this year, first things first:

HAPPY NEW YEAR
and best of luck to everybody, whether you've joined TAC or not!

So, where do I want to get with my language studies this year?

French:
I was 10 years old when I had my very 1st French lesson. I'm not going to say how old I am now :-), but let's just say that I have been speaking this language for quite a while now. Therefore, there is no risk of me forgetting it. However, since I'm not really using French that much anymore, I've found that I've started to forget things. It's mostly vocabulary, sometimes even the simplest words just don't pop into my head anymore. 2014 will therefore be a year of maintenance for French, I want to "submerge" myself in this language a bit again. This means watching the news on French TV from time to time, maybe read a French book or 2, and occasionally make an exercise from a little book I bought recently, which is called "Oefen je Frans" (Practice your French) and which is filled with little exercises geared towards practicing vocabulary.

German:
I have been speaking German since I was 15 years old, again, I've known this language for quite a while now. As with French, I don't think there is a risk of me totally forgetting everything. But my German definitely needs some maintenance, I used to be pretty fluent in it but I find myself struggling often now. These last few weeks I was asked to do some German translations for work, and I was amazed at how often I had to look up a simple word in the dictionary. My plan of action is the same as with French: watch some German tv, listen to German radio and read a German text from time to time.

Swedish:
These last 2 years, I've been going on an evening class, but I've stopped going now. My current level is somewhere around A2 I think. This is one of the languages I'll be focusing on this year, I really want to get my Swedish to a B1 or possibly even a B2 level.

Welsh:
A new language for me! I started Welsh in evening classes back when I was still living in Wales, but that was 8 years ago and I only did 6 weeks or so, so that doesn't count. I will also be spending 2 weeks in North Wales in May, so hopefully I'll be able to speak a word or 2 by then.

Spanish:
I had 5 years of Spanish in school, but I have not used the language since and I'm afraid I have to admit I nearly forgot everything. So this year, I want to focus on getting my Spanish skills back up to a decent level. It's not a totally new language, I already had a look at the course book and it looks like it will mostly be a case of getting my brain to remember it all.

Italian:
If I have time left, I might dabble in Italian a bit. Nothing is certain there, we'll see how it goes.

French: B2 --> B2/C1
German: B1 --> B2
Swedish: A2 --> B1/B2
Welsh: A0 --> A2
Spanish: A1 --> A2/B1
Italian: ?????

Sabrina VG
Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 5007 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes

Message 13 of 17
04 January 2014 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
A small update here... I haven't done anything yet... I guess I've been too busy with New Year's Eve, doing the tour of the family on 1st January, then going back to work on the 2nd, etc.

Small excuses, I know, so it's time to pick my lazy *** off the floor (or should I say off the sofa) and get to work!

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6020 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 14 of 17
04 January 2014 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Hej Sabrina

Gott Nytt År

There is no need to get off the sofa. Learn on the sofa and do something nice.
I'm just kidding, enjoy your evening.

I wish you good luck and a bundle of motivation for your further studies.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5204 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 15 of 17
20 January 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Hello Sabrina,

How are your Welsh studies going ?

Planning holydays in Wales is a great idea, I hope you'll have advanced far enough to enjoy them yn Gymraeg.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4153 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 16 of 17
28 January 2014 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Ah iemand die Zweeds studeert waar ik gewoon Nederlands mee kan praten, top!

Zweeds en Nederlands/Vlaams zijn vrij vergelijkbaar, denk dat je Zweeds goed onder de
knie kunt krijgen als je er wat tijd in steekt. Ik vond het in het begin allemaal wat
raar en nieuw maar na een tijdje gaat het 'vloeien' en zag ik steeds meer vergelijkingen.

Mocht je nog bronnen nodig hebben voor films/boeken/series of whatever hoor ik het graag!

Hoop dat het goed gaat met je studies!

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version