Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 25 of 40
30 March 2014 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Thanks Bakunin, that's really helpful. I have started to use the Chinese Grammar Wiki to either learn constructions I
am hearing but don't yet understand, or just browse and look for things that I don't yet know. It's much easier than
working through a text book, and I think it hits the middle ground that you are talking about.

This week has not been great for Chinese. My son was a bit sick and so I am quite tired and just didn't really have
the motivation to study. However, I did watch 2 more episodes of 男人帮 so that's some input at least. That also
means that I have completed the March challenge for the Chinese team which is encouraging too.
1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 26 of 40
06 April 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
6/4/2014 - not a lot to report this week. Added quite a few new words to my MCB deck, along with the audio
which I got from Rhinospike. Spent some time looking around on the Chinese Grammar Wiki which I find really
helpful. Also learnt added some new Khmer words from an economic lexicon to my Khmer anki deck which is cool.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 27 of 40
27 April 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
27/4/2014 - nice to see the forum is back up and running! All in all this month has been terrible for languages!
Not had a lot of motivation because it has been insanely hot here, and I have also been very busy. I have another
busy month coming up, but hopefully after that I will have some more time for language. Unfortunately language is
the first thing which has to go when I get busy! Anyway, I will just try and keep on pressing on with anki, and trying
to watch Chinese TV if I have the time

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 28 of 40
03 May 2014 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
3/5/2014 - I am starting to try and get back on track now (or at least I have been today)! I am fed up of my Anki
vocab deck as I don't have sentences and I find it really tedious, so I have decided to scrap it. What I am in the
process of doing is going through and taking out any words I want to keep, finding a sentence for context from
Tatoeba or Jukuu, then putting that through Rhinospike to get the audio, and then putting that into my MCB deck.
That way my deck is more manageable size-wise, and the words have context and audio to go with them. I learnt
some new vocabulary for both Khmer and Chinese today, and I have started to do my word lists for Chinese in a
bigger book, which allows me to go over them for 3 days instead of just 2, hopefully helping my retention. Then of
course I will put those into my Anki deck. Tonight I am going to watch some more 男人帮 with my wife - we are
currently on episode 27. I have also been having a look at 好好说!慢慢讲!which looks quite interesting, especially
because it also has English subtitles mixed in there! Aside from that there isn't much to report, just continuing to
push on as and when I can!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 29 of 40
11 May 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
11/5/2014 - Been a pretty good week. Learnt some new vocab and am continuing to build my anki deck.
Unfortunately RhinoSpike now requires credits to download audio, so I am just inputting sentences without audio.
This actually is less time consuming so if probably a good thing. Finished the series of 男人帮 now, so I am going to
look for something new to start watching. Started watching some of 好好说!慢慢讲!and found it quite good, so
might continue with that for now. Also managed to do a bit more on my Khmer book this week which was cool.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 30 of 40
19 May 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
19/5/2014 - nothing new to report! Had a busy week so only managed to do Anki.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 31 of 40
31 May 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
31/5/2014 - been an ok couple weeks. Not so great for Chinese, although I have learnt some new vocabulary and I
am going to start using my Lexicarry book this evening. My MCB deck is increasing in size slowly but surely. I have
managed to get some more done on my Khmer book and hopefully will have some time to continue hitting it hard
over the next few weeks. Chinese will probably take a bit of a back seat while I focus on the Khmer book.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4323 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 32 of 40
15 June 2014 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
15/6/2014 - As I suspected my Chinese has taken the back seat. I have done Anki, learnt a bit of new vocab and
spent a bit of time doing Lexicarry, which I actually find really fun. I am also watching various Chinese cartoons on
Youtube, and understanding bits and pieces. Although I am a little disappointed that I haven't been able to spend
as much time on Chinese as I wanted, I am excited at how the Khmer book is going. I have now finished chapter 10
and am getting started on chapter 11 today. There will be 14 chapters total, plus a guide to reading and writing and
numbers. So far audio has been recorded with native speakers for the reading/writing, numbers and chapters 1-5,
and when I have finished chapter 14 we will do the remaining audio, and also go back and do some editing for a
couple of things that I have edited (extra vocab etc.). All in all I am really enjoying doing this book, and can't wait to
get an initial copy out there and get some feedback!

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version