Groupie
Poland
Joined 5318 days ago

43 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 9 of 11
19 November 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
This week wasn't the truly productive in terms of language learning. I've watched some youtube videos and a few coursera ones and read a few chapters of 'The Family way' by Tony Parsons plus a bit of this forum. I've also gone through a chapter from the book 'CPE Use of English' by V. Evans which was surprisingly relatively easy for me.

Words from last week:
famished
bereavement
baffle
crumple
rehearse
defiance
bridle
wry
flinch
bristle
awed by
furrow
second to none
swift
brisk
flattering
exasperation
tousle
loiter
chaste
obstetrician
pant
sliver
enact
excavate
itinerary
sordid
loathe
funnel
hinder
scrutinise
brazen
harness
thrive
chip in
punch list
bias
backlash
coax

1 person has voted this message useful

agta
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 5318 days ago

43 posts - 53 votes 

Message 10 of 11
23 November 2014 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Since last post I've been watching a few youtube channels by girls living in England. Most of them are on beauty stuff, nothing ambitious, but I will continue to watch them as I want to practise listening to British accents. BBC radio is also very helpful for that but I wanted to diversify my listening materials a bit. It also give me some areas of vocab I usually wouldn't get that much from radio or books (neither textbooks nor novels). I think I should watch something about cooking / eating as well. I'm not very familiar with food vocabulary, I know only the basics. For more advanced vocab I've read a few articles on science daily.

A bit of vocab:
atrocious
abyss
chickpea
be bunged up
ingrained
reek
preppy
disseminate
be a breeze
creep up
grit
liniment
caveat
hallmark
stave off
latitude
prevalent
culprit

agta
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 5318 days ago

43 posts - 53 votes 

Message 11 of 11
20 December 2014 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
It's time to sum up my 2014 progress.

Italian
I wanted to go up from A2 to B1+.
I was about to focus on Italian but needed to neglect it in fact. It turned out that for a few months I had little time for languages at all and that English needs to be my priority so I think I made no progress and my Italian is still A2.

German
I wanted to go up from B1+ to B2.
A bit of progress when it comes to business German, very little on grammar which is still my weakest point. That's why I can't say I'm at B2 level but B1+.

English
The biggest progress here however still a lot to do to reach the level I want. I would say I'm at C1 level.

Swedish
I've learnt a few basic phrases and that's all so I'm still A0.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version