MithradatesG
United States
Joined 4034 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French, Armenian, Turkish, Italian

Message 1 of 21
29 December 2013 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
This will be my learning log for TAC 2014. I'm learning Chinese (Mandarin), Spanish, Turkish and Armenian.

The biggest impediment for me to achieve language goals is the difficulty I have holding myself to a routine. After the time-discipline of work (since I'm working full-time now), my mind tends to wander and bounce around unproductively. I've found the language logs to be one of the most interesting parts of the forum and I think that keeping one myself will help me hold myself accountable. It will also, hopefully, allow me to record the progress of my language learning journey.

My goals are:
Chinese: a2/b1 -> solid b1
Spanish: a2 -> b1 (focus on spoken language)
Turkish: a0 -> a2/b1 (focus on spoken language)
Armenian: a1 -> b1

I've studied Mandarin Chinese for more years than I care to admit. I have a knowledge of some ~2000 hanzi and can read newspapers and official documents without much difficulty (I gained much practice doing the research for my thesis). I have a much harder time reading fiction. When pursuing self-study, I have often had a nasty habit of using written materials to the exclusion on audio and video. I've also shunned some of the easier opportunities I have for speaking practice (neighbours). This has resulted in my oral and aural abilities being frankly atrociously below my reading ability. I will therefore be incorporating much more listening and speaking practice into my study of Chinese this year than in the past.

I last actively studied Spanish in highschool. I've had much informal exposure to the language over the years, however, which means that I can understand much of the meaning of conversations without quite grasping the grammatical and syntactic niceties. While I need to shore up my understanding of grammar, I desire to know Spanish primarily as a spoken language.

Turkish is a language I've thrown a few glances at over the years and I have a basic understanding of its grammar and many of the most common grammatical endings. I also find the vowel harmony quite intuitive. I did hear the language as a child and maybe some of the sounds stuck in the deeper crevices of my mind. As I will be travelling to Turkey later in 2014, I wish to gain a basic ability to communicate. I will attempt to master a basic vocabulary with enough knowledge of grammar and idioms to make myself understood and understand all I need to understand as a (heritage) traveller.

Armenian is a language to which I've dabbled in over the years but in 2012 decided I wanted to learn it actively. While it is a heritage language, most of my relatives do not speak it. I am learning the Western dialect as it is the dialect my family speaks/spoke. I wish to gain conversational abilities but I am also interested in Armenian literature. I will spend more time reading fiction in Armenian than in the other languages.

I will post some of my intended methods soon, as much as I'm sure of them.

All the Best!

Edited by MithradatesG on 04 January 2014 at 4:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4115 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 21
29 December 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Hi Mithradates, glad to see another member of the Chinese team! :) I'll be especially
interested to see your progress in Chinese, obviously - and I think I have the same
problem with you in that I can't read fiction yet either :/. Hopefully we'll both improve
on that this year!

I look forward to reading about your progress in your other languages, too. You've got a
mix there :).
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 21
29 December 2013 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the turkish adventure as well. We will be team mates and I am in an even lower level than you!

Nice nickname btw. I assume you chose it for the languages and not the poison :)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 4 of 21
30 December 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Good luck with all your studies! If you haven't already, you should dig around on the forums for tanyab's discussion
of how she learned Russian and Armenian to a high level without being in-country. IIRC, she said that she was once
interviewed on Armenian TV because they thought it was so unusual that a foreigner not living in Armenia would
learn Armenian so well.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4279 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 21
30 December 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the Chinese team! You seem to be in a similar position to me regarding your abilities (although my
reading isn't quite where yours is yet). I also neglected speaking/listening and focused on reading/writing last year,
and it is clearly evident in how poor my skills in these areas are! Looking forward to studying Mandarin along side
you and watching your progress this year!

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4013 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 21
30 December 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Nice selection of languages you've got on your plate. Would love to hear more about Armenian literature when you get around to studying it.

Best of luck with your studies!

MithradatesG
United States
Joined 4034 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes

Message 7 of 21
30 December 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Thanks all for the kind words!

renaissancemedi wrote:
Welcome to the turkish adventure as well. We will be team mates and I am in an even lower level than you!

Nice nickname btw. I assume you chose it for the languages and not the poison :)

;) For the languages and also because it's related to a name that runs in my family.

I look forward to being on everyone's team! It will make learning languages a less anti-social activity for me.

MithradatesG
United States
Joined 4034 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes

Message 8 of 21
02 January 2014 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
I started my New Year's language learning schedule a day early! I've had two days now following my schedule.

CHINESE:
Each day I intend to spend ~45min on Chinese. 15min watching a Chinese television program. 15min reading Chinese news or a journal article. 15min following a textbook or practicing speaking (as opportunities arise/I take the initiative).

I've been watching the second episode of 舌尖上的中国 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnjq75tMow), a beautiful documentary about foods of China. It jumps from location to location and shows a dizzying array of different cuisines, some of which are of non-Han ethnic groups. The language heard in the documentary is an interesting mix of local dialects and accents (spoken by the people interviewed) and rigidly standard Putonghua spoken by the narrator. I'm not sure whether or not these are the best language registers to listen to in order to improve my listening skills, but the food sure looks good...

I've read several articles from Caixin (http://caixin.com/). I've read Xi Jinping's New Year's wishes and an article about Chinese agricultural subsidies. Heady stuff :) I actually found the latter article quite interesting...

Over the next few weeks I'll be working my way through Chinese 24/7 by Albert Wolfe. It's a beginner's book, but he maintains a rigidly utilitarian perspective and provides many good bits of learning advice. The book came out in 2009, the same year I studied in China for a semester. I really wish I had had the book when it first came out. His explanations are written in very simple language. (Not that that is necessarily a plus in my mind: I love the blue-cover TY books!). The book is review for me, but will help me refocus my studies on the spoken language, as most other textbooks I know of use too formal a register for my current goals. I definitely recommend this book for beginners!

SPANISH:
Each day I intend to spend 40min-1h on Spanish. 20min-30min using a textbook. 20-30min listening to the radio or watching TV. Hopefully I'll also practice speaking when I have the chance.

I'm currently using the DLI Headstart Spanish for Puerto Rico program. I'll be going to Puerto Rico at the end of February which has provides a delicious motivation to both reactivate my rusty Spanish as well as develop an ear for the Puerto Rican accent.

To really develop my ear for Puerto Rican Spanish, I'm watching Borinqueando on Univision PR (http://puertorico.univision.com/shows-de-tv/borinqueando/). The hosts of the show are somewhat ridiculous (although they've grown on me), but it's perfect for my learning goals as they travel around Puerto Rico interviewing people from different social and educational levels. It's given me exposure to speakers with heavy Puerto Rican accents. It's also showed me some places that I want to go to in February...

I'll post updates to Turkish and Armenian tomorrow.

All the Best!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version