Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 1 of 161
29 December 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
It's time to make ready my log for the year 2014. The name comes from a post in one of the 2013 threads (perhaps my log), where this methaphore appeared. My learning path is like the journey of a drunk snail. Slow, with lots of direction changes (and attempts to walk straight), occasional accidental falling asleep and memory holes... I guess you get the idea :-)

I am going to participate on the TAC again. However, I am not going to be the lone wolf anymore. I'm joining these teams: Scandinavian, German, French, Iberia and Spanish (can't choose between the two for now ;-) both sound great).

I don't expect much of a wonderlust as I am going to have tons on my plate. Here is a brief overview of my plans:

SPANISH:

The unexpected priority. I am very likely to go to Spain for a month during the summer thanks to a student exchange. I know very little about my internship, I hope to get more info soon. However, I need to get my Spanish up to the challenge!

Right now, my passive Spanish is quite good (for example, I am now playing Broken Sword in Spanish). My active skills suck. That is the simple truth. I am going to work a lot on the grammar, acquire new vocabulary with the assistance of anki, get through course material at least up to B1 level and to join the Super Challenge for Spanish (classical one, 100 movies and 100x100 pages).

FRENCH:

Two exams are on the horizon. The one of medical terminology and language. And I want to finally get to the DALF. May/June is one of the usual terms and it sounds good.

My passive skills are very good, perhaps even at higher level than the C1 exam. My active skills are worse. However, I think the speaking may go quite well, if I don't underestimate the preparation. Writing is the pitfall.

What to do: Get through my C1/C2 aimed course and exam preparation material, write a few paragraphs every day (I got some exam preparation material from B1 up, I am going to start small), practice speaking as much as possible and finish the old SC, now matter how late. I am going to finish my three volumes of Grammaire Progressive (intermediaire, avance, perfectionnement). I've been doing bits here and there so far, I need to finish them.

After the final SC count of the 2013: I have 93,5 movies (more likely 187 episodes of something) and 130,8 x100 pages left! And I intend to finish a large chunk before the DALF. But it must still be fun and not interfere with the "serious studies".

ENGLISH: rot in peace. The only thing left (apart from the usual fun, forums, games etc.) is the rest of the SC: 113,8 x100 pages. To be finished. No matter how late.

SWEDISH:
I need to continue and better than in 2013. Getting through my basic 2 courses should be enough of a goal for the first half of the year. And in the second: We'll see.

GERMAN:
I should finish course material up to B1 level. And hopefully start some native material.

So, good luck to everyone this year, I wish you a lot of success and fun. I am looking forward to reading you all again!

Edited by Cavesa on 30 December 2013 at 7:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 2 of 161
29 December 2013 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
the what-am-I-up-to post:

Just an updated post of what am I currently using. Hopefully with list of finished things. It's going to be only a list, for the easy and quick convenience of myself and anyone interested. Any thoughts and comments concerning my progress and the material are further in the log:

SPANISH:
currently going through:
Fiesta 1
Učebnice současné Španělštiny 1

Super Challenge: not started yet

FRENCH:
currently going through:
Grammaire Progressive n.intermédiaire
Grammaire Progressive n.avancé

Advanced Super Challenge Residues:
movies: 93,5 left
now watching: Engrenages

books:130,8 x 100 pages left
now reading: Ch.Harris: La reine des vampires
P.Pullman:Les Royaumes du Nord I
M.Chattame:Carnages

ENGLISH Advanced Super Challenge Residues: books: 133,8x100 pages
now reading: R.Jordan: The Dragon Reborn
Tolkien: The Fellowship of the Ring

GERMAN:
currently going through:
Themen Aktuell 1
Assimil

SWEDISH:
currently going through:
Švédština nejen pro samouky
Assimil

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 3 of 161
30 December 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Hej Cavesa!

I’m very happy to have you on our Scandinavian Team! As I’m also on team Lobo for Spanish this year, we’re going to share a lot of our language journey in the coming twelve months.

I wish you a very happy and successful 2014!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 161
31 December 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
It sounds like you will have an interesting journey :-) Good luck with all our studies!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 5 of 161
31 December 2013 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Good luck in your journey next year, Cavesa! I hope the way is strewn with lettuce leaves and beer to lead you slowly but surely to completing all your goals. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4832 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 6 of 161
31 December 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies, and congratulations on your exciting internship!

Sabrina VG
Pentaglot
Belgium
Joined 4992 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Dutch, Flemish*, English, German, French
Studies: Swedish, Welsh

Message 7 of 161
31 December 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies Cavesa, I'm also on the Scandinavian team, studying Swedish as well.

Lycka till!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 8 of 161
31 December 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! With so much support, I am sure to reach all the goals for 2014 and enjoy the journey! You are all awesome.

Emme, we are indeed going to walk side by side for a large part of the TAC 2014. I need to try to catch up on Swedish :-)

Cristina, I wish I could take on Russian just to be on team with you (and to read Russian sci-fi in original, true). :-D But Russian needs to wait and I'll be stalking on your log anyways!

Teango, that's the best New Year wish ever! Thanks, I hope it will be close to truth. Lettuce to keep going my new diet (I lost 8kg in the last three months!) and beer as it always makes me speak better :-D Which teams are you on this year? I haven't read your log yet, but it won't keep escaping for long.

Espejismo, thanks a lot. I hope it will go well. I know quite nothing about the internship yet, just the country. I am curious.

Sabrina, you're one of my newest additions on the imaginary list of logs to surely follow. I wish you good luck as well :-)

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version