patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4313 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 81 of 161
09 June 2014 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
I don't know why I found Harris hard. Perhaps the vocabulary was just so different from HP and the other books I had read previously.

Percy Jackson is quite a good children's retelling of the Greek myths. I don't think it's super interesting - though 100x better than the books. Personally I find HP also boring, but it was worth reading to get my German to a certain level.

I am surprised you find Game of Thrones difficult. I haven't read it in German, but I've flipped through it and found it fairly straightforward.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 82 of 161
09 June 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Not difficult like "I can't understnand this and that, help!". Just slower and more attention requiring than many other books. It took me awhile to get to my usual reading speed. And I comment on English ASoIaF, no clue about the German translation so far. My German has been rotting for a while, I'll need to ressurect it and progress a bit before reading.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 83 of 161
02 July 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
First entry from Spain!!!!!

Everything is great, the people at the lab are really nice and helpful, I understand really well but I need to
speak more. I've been through quite a varied sample of situations with my Spanish and I am better than I had
thought but far from perfection. I'm writing a diary in Spanish (I' gonna write a new entry as soon as I close
the forums) and you're all gonna have the pleasure to see all my funny mistakes and ,hopefully, some
progress as my month here progresses.

Before I left, I forgot to add these to the SC counting bot, log AND my personal wordpad log in my computer.
Right now, I am far from the computer and just with my tablet so I can do most things except for getting the
file from my computer from afar (and I cannot let anyone see it!!! So noone can assist me) and handling
photos.

The sc update:
Ascr: fr: movies +2 le roi scorpion and iron man 3. Yeah, i know none of them is original and i had decided to
prefer originals etc etc
Sc Spanish: movies +0,5 (50 minutes i believe) s02e01 of los demonios de da vinci. Hay solamente la version
latinoamericana en el sitio que utilizo y no me gusta tanto. Compndo pero las voces no son tan amables.

Que dificil es cambiar las lenguas todo el tiempo! Hay gente que utiliza el ingles conmigo (no los nativos, los
estudiantes extranjeros como yo pero que no hablan el espanol) y una checa! Prefiero quedar en mi espanol
non-perfecto.

One last thing. Anyone has an idea what to do with anki. Not wanting to make a new deck for me? I did it the
logical way, clicked on add deck button and nothing happened. Hmm

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3787 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 84 of 161
03 July 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
First entry from Spain!!!!!

Everything is great, the people at the lab are really nice and helpful, I understand really well but I need to
speak more. I've been through quite a varied sample of situations with my Spanish and I am better than I had
thought but far from perfection. I'm writing a diary in Spanish (I' gonna write a new entry as soon as I close
the forums) and you're all gonna have the pleasure to see all my funny mistakes and ,hopefully, some
progress as my month here progresses.

m

Congratulations! How exciting!   I can't wait to hear about your adventures in Spain!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4313 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 85 of 161
03 July 2014 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Have fun in Spain. I think it's my favorite country in Europe - at least for food, people, weather, architecture etc. Not sure about the politics. How long are you there?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 86 of 161
03 July 2014 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
A month. The weathe has been quite the same (rainy) as in Prague so far. The north is different from the
most turistic areas, more "real" :-D

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4313 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 87 of 161
03 July 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
A month. The weathe has been quite the same (rainy) as in Prague so far. The north is different from the
most turistic areas, more "real" :-D

So far I haven't been disappointed even in the tourist areas: Madrid; Barcelona, A Coruña. I would love to have a holiday this year, but I've just moved and will have to wait until next year.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4987 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 88 of 161
03 July 2014 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Enjoy Spain!! I'm sure it'll be a great experience.

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version