Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 57 of 161
22 April 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Thanks, I'll have a look at these. The Español Medico Y Sociedad may be really useful. And the websites even more as I love to use materials aimed at natives. I didn't think of the newspapers for some reason, good idea. I have found a few websites about science but not that awesome. Lectures and such things are the best.

I think I'd love to watch some documentaries during the Super Challenge. But those aren't that easy to find.

My progress:

I have added all the vocabulary from Fiesta 1 to anki during the last few days! It's approximately 1200-1300 items (sometimes, there are two words on one card, other times I need two cards for one word, so it isn't that easy to say an exact number). A few notes:

I've tried to finish Fiesta 1 several times already. The furthest I've been: lesson 14 out of 15. What I really know well: first 7 lessons.
        The weak points: active vocabulary (anki solution) and grammar

My next minigoals:

add all the verbs and their forms from Fiesta 1 and Gramática to anki
        review anki
        finish Gramática (the one by Anayla for levels A1-A2
        Finish Fiesta 1 for good. That means reviewing a lot of tiny things and my first journey into the realm of the Spanish subjuntive but I must not dwell on mastering everything right now or I'll get extra bored again and leave. I need to cover the ground, use what I can, mine the book and cds but not to be a perfectionist for now.

So, in the next few days, I'll be spending time on present tense with irregularities, imperativo, pretérito indefinido, imperfecto, futuro simple and other things. Basically nothing new but a lot of things I am not comfortable with yet. Grammar is keeping me from active use of the language so it needs to be conquered.

Cavesa, Sunday at 2:22 AM

Banna wrote:

A few more ideas if you like videos:
    From Spain
    http://www.enfermeriatv.es/canales/. ..salud_46/0316e7fa-a1e3-49f6-868f-1f3a18d33177

The Argentine government has a web channel with documentaries and they include transcripts that run on the right while the program runs on the left. Example:
    http://www.encuentro.gov.ar/sitios/e ncuentro/Programas/ver?rec_id=105565

National Geographic Español has a site with videos (might only work in US)
    http://www.ngenespanol.com/videos/38 5628/video--clamor-tigres/

Discovery has a Spanish site with videos (also might only work in US)
    http://www.tudiscovery.com/enespanol /web/africa/videos/

Once HTLAL is back up, I think Crush, dbag, Iversen could all be helpful in finding nature or science based video resources, especially available to you in Europe.

BAnna, Sunday at 4:43 AM

Cavesa wrote:

Thanks! The national geographic seems to be working well. And the argentinan site looks really promising! I'll have a look at the rest at the beginning of May, when the Super Challenge begins.

I will certainly sign up (probably after the sign up thread is back at htlal) for Spanish and German.

Speaking of the SC:
    ASCR French books +4! Ch.Harris: La conspiration finished! Very enjoyable read with lots of usual, everyday, colloquial language in the translation by Fréderique Le Boucher. Exceptional work by the translator. I am enjoying the French version of the series just as much as I had enjoyed the original a few years ago.

Cavesa, Sunday at 12:52 PM

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 58 of 161
22 April 2014 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Now, what to do with this log and the polydog one

http://polydog.org/index.php?threads/the-drunk-snails-exile. 34/

I think some of my readers might prefer an easy to read version. Minigoals and their completion, list of material I've read and watched for the Super Challenge and so on. So, there will be a brief snail and the talkative snail.

Back to the language related info:
ASCR French movies: 4 more episodes of Engrenages = +2 movies

My Spanish priority:

I've been working on the verbs and reviewing the grammar from Fiesta 1. I'm still working on it.

So far:
presente de indicativo: no trouble with the irregularities, I think that is one of the things I have covered and experienced through various input enough. Of course, I'll need more active practice to not make any mistkes.

ser/estar use: the basics are easy but I need to memorise the cases where using one or the other changes the meaning. Usage of hay is easy.

pronouns are not hard in general. Comparative and articles, that's quite easy.

Objeto directo e indirecto,that's fun. Easy at first sight but it's something I've struggled with in French for years and I still occassionaly make a mistake due to the years of being used to them. How will I keep myself from repeating the same mistake:
1.Pay attention to the explanations, even though they seem to be banal
2.Do all the exercises I can find, even though they look easy and boring at first sight
3.Lots of input
4.Pay attention to the active use in the beginnings. No "I'll just guess" approach.

ir a + inf: really easy as it's the same thing as in French. I remember the times (years ago) when I had to remind myself every time to use the "a" in the middle.

Only review so far.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 59 of 161
22 April 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
This afternoon, I continued with my brief review and verb ankiing. I encountered these Spanish features:

Pretérito perfecto de indicativo: That's not too hard. I need to memorize more participios and it will be ok. The use seems to be very similar to French just like the Spanish imperfecto is similar to the French imparfait. I guess the fun and challenge is going to start as soon as the subjuntivos come into the mix.

tardar en + inf: a nice little thing to know. I'm looking forward to the SC and I am sure I'll see lots of situations where these perífrasis verbales are used.

Now, I'm going to the theatre. See you later!

P.S. I've started catching up on my teams' mates. Despite not replying everywhere (no need to flood the forums without need), you have all got my admiration. It's great to see you get through struggles and progress!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 60 of 161
22 April 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
GLOSS also has some medical lessons ♥

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 61 of 161
29 April 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
I'll have a look there as well, thanks.

My current progress:

SPANISH:
Continuing grammar:
-reviewed the imperativo. I used to have trouble with the negative one but not anymore,
thanks to the point below:

-I've decided not to be afraid of subjuntivo. Everyone says how difficult it is but I
am not worried. I have looked at the regular constructions and a few irregular ones.
Therefore imperativo negativo totally makes sense now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not
saying the subjuntivo is gonna be easy, all the ways to use it and not use it will take
time and lots of input but I am on the good way, I'd say.

-I have begun the Gramática B1 to further progress with the things started in the A1-A2
volume. It is awesome and much more interesting and demanding. I have dived into the
more advanced notes concerning the articles and genders. The input I've had so far has
been really helpful, I am sure the Super Challenge is a good choice for me.

-I am continuing slowly with anki additions from Fiesta 1.

Other languages:
ASCR French: +1 movie =2episodes of Engrenages
still reading a few books (curiously, I prefer my French books now)

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4009 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 62 of 161
01 May 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa, wish you the best of luck and success with the Super Challenge! Having followed your commitment and impressive results last time, I am sure you don't even need my wishes. How great that you are now choosing two new languages for this new Super Challenge!

Thanks for the great resources on French medical vocabulary! I had been searching for a source like that and have now bookmarked your recommendations.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 63 of 161
08 May 2014 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Suzie! I appreciate your wishes a lot and I've been following your log for lots of inspiration. I'm glad the resources will come handy.

News!

I've dived into the new SC and the May 6wc.
so far: 15 episodes of Game of Thrones in Spanish = 7,5 movies (by my count, perhaps the bot will be more precise but I like to count for myself as well)
a side effect: I barely kept myself from responding "Si, Majestad" to one of my biochemistry teachers in the lab on Monday :-D

I opened a book in Spanish and found out it is no longer hard for me. But I should finish some of my 7 books before opening another.

I need to dive further into grammar. That's my plan for today. I've found out the Game of Thrones to do miracles for my grammar acquisition. I've heard so many exemples of imperativo and the common future and past tenses that it is slowly moving me closer to correct active usage of them in the exercises. I am still weak at subjuntivo, but I suppose I get my dose of exemples without realizing it.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 64 of 161
11 May 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
In the last few days: SC: 6 episodes of GoT in Spanish = +3 movies

Other than that: no time for Spanish.

However:
I wrote an email in Spanish! I added an English translation just in case but I think the result wasn't bad at all. I consulted and checked everything with trusted sources and I think it was quite a good email.

GoT note: I've watched some episodes with European and others with Latin American dubbing. There are some differences but I am unable to point at them at this level. But I undertand both equally well (but real, everyday and colloquial LA vs. Eu Spanish differs surely more from each other and is more difficult). How much do I understand? I have no trouble following the plot and most dialogues. I get lost in details of the longer, faster, more intensive parts. I suppose my understanding will get better significantly before I am in the middle of the SC. I am beginning to think in Spanish at times, even though not too consistently or easily. I don't mean having large inner monologues or anything like that. But lots of thoughts and their compounds are in Spanish, especially during or right after exposure through the GoT.

Edited by Cavesa on 11 May 2014 at 12:12am

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version