Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 65 of 161
11 May 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
I am sure you will see vast improvement in Spanish. My French went from a C1 to a C2 in listening and
speaking, and I did not even finish the challenge :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4787 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 66 of 161
14 May 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Cristina! I hope so.

Too little time, but still.

Spanish SC: +0,5 movie = first episode of Da Vinci's demons
I like it, even though watching this is making me miss Italian. I certainly need to learn the language properly one day. I know the original language of the series is English but still. And I jut won't watch the Vikings in Spanish. German should be alright, so I'll wait a bit.

ASCR: French +1 movie= Frozen in French
Disney movies tend to have good quality dubbing and I don't mind the dubbing much when it comes to animated movies.

Now, I need to stop procrastinating everything and dive, among other things, into the Spanish grammar again. I think it will move me a bit forward again.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4311 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 67 of 161
14 May 2014 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
TAnd I jut won't watch the Vikings in Spanish. German should be alright, so I'll wait a bit.

I watched The Vikings in German last month and thought the dubbing was good. The story is a bit weak, but it should be fun when the eventually invade France and sack Paris...

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4787 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 68 of 161
17 May 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Patrick. I suppose the Vikings should be fine for my German, then. (In a few months)

Spanish:

Obviously, my email wasn't bad. I got complimented on my Spanish but I always take such compliments with a grain of salt. However, I got answered all my questions in Spanish (and in detail) and that counts as a huge compliment :-) Now I need to get through all that and to find the best way to get to the city in the summer etc. :-)

I am continuing with grammar, even though I am spening much less time on it then I should. Lots of things get into my brain from the tv series but I need to build the solid foundation for my active skills. I have a trouble. What the hell is Vos for? The grammarbook is really vague "Vos es una forma de tratamiento familiar en algunos países de Hispanoamérica.". Hmm. Still no clue and I haven't been able to find this out from the input. And, in the tv series, I am quite sure they often use imperatives like "decid" for singular even though the grammar book says it is for vosotros/as. I definitely need to observe it further.

SC Spanish: 4 episodes of Da Vinci's Deamons = +2 movies.

I enjoy the story but I need to progress in Spanish to get to the next stage.

I think there are these levels of listening comprehension, when it comes to movies and tv series:
0- Help, I'm lost. Oh, they said "cerveza" and I understood, yay!
1- Thanks god it's a movie and not a radio play. I can somehow follow the story and understand bits here and there
2- Nice, I know what's going on. But not the details.
3- Yes, I can enjoy the details and full story. I just get lost when they sob while speaking, when they speak too fast, drawl their last words before the last breath etc.
4- A nice relaxing activity. It's not my native language? Ah, sorry, I haven't noticed, let me turn on the subtitles for you, Sweetheart :-)

English is at level 4. French is 4 most of the time, sometimes 3, depends on the material. Spanish is between 2 and 3 now, closer to 3, but it will be lower again when I switch to something original and more difficult.

I think the jumps from 0 to 1 and from 1 and 2 are quite fast. One or two episodes suffice, from my experience. 2-3 progress tends to be gradual, enjoyable and not slow. I think most learners can get to 3 after one longer season of a show (american length, not french length of a season). 3-4 takes the most time and I've always (so far) noticed the progress after I've reached level 4, not during the process.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4068 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 69 of 161
17 May 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
«Vos» is a replacement second-person personal pronoun (pronombre personal de segunda
persona
) for tú in Spanish, mostly in the Cono Sur (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay) and
some parts of Colombia and, I think, Venezuela. Of all of these countries, I find that
ARgentina use it, almost exclusively instead of tú. Wikipedia have an entry about
conjugation of
vos
, which basically drops the "a" and "e", but there are other variants. In
higher
registers, "vos" also can substitute "usted"/"Vd." in formal contexts, like how in El
Congreso de los Diputados in Spain, they say Vuestra Señoría, which would be
somewhat ewquivlent to "Your Honour". Actually that is how "usted" was derived, from "
vuestra merced".

Still, I never used vos as a replacement for tú, it is good to recognise it, because if
you speak or write/chat to Argentinians, I am almost 100% sure that they use vos forms.
Uruguay to an extent as well, but in Chile, if I understand correctly, it has a
derogatory feeling that accompanies it, like if someone said to the other, «[Vos] soi
un imbécil», or that it sounds uneducated.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 17 May 2014 at 11:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 70 of 161
18 May 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Sorry if I missed that, but where in Spain will you be staying? :-)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4787 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 71 of 161
28 May 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
SC Spanish: +3 episodes of Da Vinci's demons = +1,5 movie

My Spanish is stuck due to lack of time. I hate school :-D
I understand pretty well the tv series but I am not progressing noticeably, I'd need a
few megadoses of listening. And I am too slow at my grammar learning to see progress in
my active skills.

Thanks, 1e4e6, that is an explanation I can follow :-) I think some parts of my
confusement are due to my input. I've been watching mostly tv series in
medieval/rennaisance/false medieval-fantasy settings and I suppose the authors are
trying to reflect the language by using the polite/impolite forms differently. I am
convinced they often use the vos pronoun with imperative for vosotros and in situations
where usted might be used. And I watch mostly the european Spanish dubbings. I suppose
I'll need 1.some originals, likes Aguila Roja 2.some series setted in the present days
to balance it.

Serpent, I haven't said it. To not bring bad luck and for a little stupid paranoia, I
don't say where I'm gonna be publicly online. :-D I know it looks stupid. However, it
will be in the north. I actually need to reply a few emails etc now but had too little
time in the last week or so.

I have found some awesome French music recently! I love Indila, Maitre Gims, Stromae
and a few others. I can certainly recommend those to anyone interested.

And I've listened to a few Let it go versions. I love the English and French ones, I
really liked the Swedish and Finnish ones, I disliked the Spanish version. Many more to
go. And the best is the finals themed parody: f**k it all!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4787 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 72 of 161
08 June 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
My Spanish is asleep and so is quite everything as I am breaking my teeth on other things now. The only thing I've managed to do during the past two weeks or so is a bit of fun in French.

French ASCS:
movies +3: Constantine, Blade, Blade 2. Yeah, not original movies but still fun.
books: I have finished la Trilogie de Wielstadt, which I had started at the end of last year. It was awesome. I've trully enjoyed every page out of the 750. Therefore I add 7,5 books.

I need to get back to Spnish but there is so little time. Just a short overview of books I have still to finish to add them to the ASCS count so that I can dive into new books (especially Spanish ones): The Dragon Reborn by Jordan, The Fellowship of the Ring, Les Royaumes du Nord by Pullman, part 1 of La Malerune by Grimbert, Silverthorn by Feist.

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version