Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4197 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 1 of 8
30 December 2013 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
What is the degree of mutaul intellegibility of these 2 languages ,I am particularly interested in the point of
view of a dutch naitive speaker and the one of a dutch learner who has achieved a B2/C1 ?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 8
30 December 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
As a native speaker, I do not have problems reading Afrikaans. Afrikaans often uses
words that are archaic in Dutch. I understand like 80-90% to the point where if an
Afrikaans speaker is slowed down a tidbit, you could interview them on the radio.

(There is a famous video where Charlize Theron speaks Afrikaans and a Flemish
interviewer Dutch).

They were the same up until the early 20th century, when Afrikaans got a new
orthography and grammar (before that it was written like Dutch because it was
considered a Dutch dialect).

The mutual intelligibility of Dutch and Afrikaans is the same as with other dialects of
Dutch, particularly those not too far removed from the original. Given that it is a
dialect speaker of course. Young people from the provinces have an accent but don't
speak dialect usually.

Edited by tarvos on 30 December 2013 at 2:05pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4197 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 3 of 8
30 December 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
As a native speaker, I do not have problems reading Afrikaans. Afrikaans often uses
words that are archaic in Dutch. I understand like 80-90% to the point where if an
Afrikaans speaker is slowed down a tidbit, you could interview them on the radio.

(There is a famous video where Charlize Theron speaks Afrikaans and a Flemish
interviewer Dutch).

They were the same up until the early 20th century, when Afrikaans got a new
orthography and grammar (before that it was written like Dutch because it was
considered a Dutch dialect).

The mutual intelligibility of Dutch and Afrikaans is the same as with other dialects of
Dutch, particularly those not too far removed from the original. Given that it is a
dialect speaker of course. Young people from the provinces have an accent but don't
speak dialect usually.

I thought the degree of mutual intellegibility was higher than that . Probably it could be a bit like Italian and
spanish , maybe a bit more . The fact is that mutaul intellegibility depends a lot on the situation and how
the speaker speaks , at least so it seems to me .
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 8
30 December 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
It's more than Italian and Spanish, wayyyyy more.

Dutch dialects are sometimes different languages, almost.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5375 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 5 of 8
08 January 2014 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Agreed. Although I'm only somewhere around the B1 level in Dutch, I occasionally write to an Africaans friend in
Dutch and she in Africaans, and we understand each other fine. Just had to get used to a few lexical items non
existent in Dutch but very common in Afrikaans due to coming from surrounding African or colony languages, such
as baie, 'very', which apparently comes from Malay. This below wiki page seems to give quite a good overview.

Comparison of Afrikaans and Dutch
2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 6 of 8
09 January 2014 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
I watch cricket, and South Africa play and broadcast cricket in Afrikaans and English--
Afrikaans uses some words that I cannot pick up with modern Dutch, or it uses some
archaic words, like "wees" instead of "zijn" in some places. Hearing it is slightly
easier than reading it, because of the spelling. Also the conjugations and personal
pronouns I am not accustomed to them well, especially "ons is" which in standard Dutch is
not used, and as
a non-native speaker is rather new.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 09 January 2014 at 2:10am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 7 of 8
09 January 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Wees and ons is would be very well known to any Dutch speaker who is a bit acquainted
with dialect, it's used plenty around the country, you'd just never write it. There's
even the famous saying "ons kent ons" which means "everybody knows everybody in this
town".

By the way, wees is also used in the participle form of Dutch, so any Dutch speaker
could tell you what it meant.

In fact, I wrote some Afrikaans this morning (check out my log for details) and I have
no problems in written communication whether I write in Dutch or modify my Dutch to
Afrikaans. It's intelligible to the Afrikaans speaker, and she speaks Afrikaans back.
No problems whatsoever in writing.

In speech, I might have to focus a bit more. You will adapt - some Belgian and Dutch
companies outsource to South Africa because of the mutual intelligibility. It was not
until 1925 I believe that Afrikaans was recognised as a language and not a dialect.
6 persons have voted this message useful

FadedStardust
Diglot
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 8 of 8
11 January 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Wees isn't used in Dutch? Tell that to my Oma who when I was a child and said there was a monster under my bed
replied: "Wees niet bang, meisje. Er zijn geen echte monsters." So yeah, even when it's used where a Dutch
person would use zijn, wees shouldn't be anybody's road block...

I did have to look up baie when I first heard it as well. I just did a Google translation lookup so didn't know it came
from Malay; it's kinda cool to figure that out.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version