10 messages over 2 pages: 1
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4417 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 10
22 April 2014 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
So...my TAC year has so far failed to really get going as you can see. Better late than
never to get the ball rolling! I've had to adjust to working life, paperwork, commuting
etc. While the going has not been easy, I remain optimistic that it is improving. I've
been back studying every day for the past 3 1/2/ weeks, and dare I say that the break
has done my motivation wonders.

German
Linguaphone lesson 13/30. This is the course I first dabbled in two years ago when I
promised myself I was going to learn German. The grammar explanations were too tough
for me and so I shelved it. Two years later and with Assimil German with Ease under my
belt I can say that I'm really enjoying the structured presentation of grammar. Some of
the finer points go a bit over my head but no harm I suppose, nothing more exposure
won't solve.

Furthermore, I've been using DW's Deutsch-Warum Nicht?. I usually don't like
audio courses, but this one is actually grand. I usually just let it play while I'm
browsing the net. The content is easy and good for revision of points covered in
Assimil. Also completed DW's Deutsch Interaktiv. Not really my cup of tea, but
good for revision nonetheless.

I've also taken delivery of Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand. No plans to start
it at the moment.

Plans for the next month: continue through Linguaphone and shadow Assimil German with
Ease (maybe five lessons a week?)supplemented with some German videos on YouTube.

Français
I finally bought the complete box set of Buffy Contre les Vampires! Why it took
me this long I cannot fathom, given that I have followed emk's excellent log for so
long. I'm on episode 1.5. The transcriptions available
here were a great help for
the first 2-3 episodes in order to accustom myself to the rate of speech and certain
idioms. Yesterday night I watched 1.5 and understood maybe 80%! I found the hoarse
voices of the Maitre and co. the hardest to follow, but it's all exposure. Really
enjoying the series so far, I can remember being aware of it as a child but can't
recall ever watching it. No spoilers please ;) The transcripts really are a godsend,
will have to get an anki deck going.

Plans for the next month: continue with Buffy, read articles from Le Monde during
commute time, and try to get speaking via Skype (have to buy a new camera/mic).

Gaeilge
Working for three months solid in an all-Irish environment has been an absolute joy,
long may it continue!

Gàidhlig
I think my listening comprehension has actually improved despite a 2-3 month break,
beats me how this could be possible. No immediate plans for this except to keep up my
passive exposure. I must get back to that excellent biography Fò Sgàil a'
Swastika
, but realistically I probably won't have time until the summer. Ma tha
duine sam bith ag iarraidh an chànain mhòralaich seo a chlachdadh, bruidhinibh ruim!
2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4417 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 10
27 April 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
The Easter holiday's are coming to an end for me so my productivity may take a downturn
over the next week while I get back into the swing of things. However, I'm determined
not to let work get in the way of language study again, the past two weeks have been
great for rekindling my passion!

Deutsch: Linguaphone Lektion 15. All new vocab added to Anki. Reviews are going
well, but I'm cautious in marking words as "easy" unless the meaning pops into my head
the moment upon seeing the word.

Français : Finished season one of Buffy, enjoying it quite a bit.

Wanderlust: I've started thinking about possible summer projects considering that I
have only two months of work left before the summer holidays. Old Irish is a
possibility; I'd love to be able to see where modern Irish comes from and to read some
of the great literature that comes with it. Italian because I have friends who speak
it, and I find the sound of it heavenly. French would probably help (or hinder?!)
learning this. Welsh too is interesting, though on a purely linguistic level. Last but
not least is Norwegian. However, I think it would be wise to focus on German for the
moment.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version