enrdbrow
United Kingdom
Joined 4375 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 9
27 November 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
I've been really rubbish with contributing to Team Deuxième (fellow members, please accept my apologies, I have been following along with everyone’s progress in their logs throughout the year though) and updating my log as life just keeps getting in the way: Job promotion; baby (which takes up pretty much all of my spare time). So when faced with spending time posting or partaking in a French activity, I've chosen the later. But enough of the excuses, we all have our commitments and my hat goes off to those of you who manage to learn multiple languages.

However, I have managed to do something in French everyday this year with no breaks, even if it was only one ASSIMIL session, working with ANKI, a Duolingo session, watching a film or some reading.

I completed my initial challenge with TY French in 26 Days and using the last revision chapter as a test, I scored over 92% and count that as a success.

After having reached lesson 49 of ASSIMIL NFWE, I had a break to concentrate on other materials and then recently decided to have another run through it from the beginning before starting the active phase (which should be in one week’s time) to reinforce what I've learned so far.

ANKI has been hit and miss throughout the year. I miss a few days then have far too many reviews to catch-up on. I do feel that it is helping my progress though and is something I'm going to stick with

I really like DuoLingo, and find reading through the comments (even if the answer is really simple and easy) extremely beneficial as you can see common pitfalls and gain a deeper understanding of the language. And it's useful to see things from someone else’s perspective and have questions asked that you wouldn't necessarily think of. What I didn't like was that when I went away on holiday, I sometimes didn't have data connectivity, which obviously wouldn't allow me to view comments. But despite congratulating me on my long-term streak on a daily basis, when I eventually got an internet connection, it started me from day 1.

I recently finished reading the first Harry Potter book and I'm just having another fly through it while listening to the audio to make sure I was pronouncing everything correctly in my head. I did find this slightly difficult for my current level and have decided to take a step back to graded readers for the time being before continuing on with the Harry Potter series. I have access to a few more of the Lire en Français Facile series and the Alex Leroc series of readers. I did mine a lot of unknown words out of Harry Potter into ANKI however which will keep me busy for a while.

So the progress to date of my 2014 goals is as follows:

Courses:
ASSIMIL New French with Ease [49/113 Chapters]
Pimsleur II, III, IV [30/30, 15/30, 0/10]
Teach Yourself French [26/26 Chapters]
BBC MaFrance [3/24]
Michel Thomas Language Builder [10/19 Tracks] 2hrs15mins Total
Michel Thomas Advanced [0/98 Tracks] 5hrs 1min Total
Practice Makes Perfect Complete French Grammar [3/24]
DuoLingo 1731 XP / Level 9

Super challenge

Read: 1010 pages

Watched: 3376 minutes

À la prochaine!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version