Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 41 of 60
03 July 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
L'etranger is on my hitlist too. I just found out yesterday that it's available on Kindle, so I will probably read it sooner than later, with the help of the popup dictionary.

Like you, I'm having trouble actually balancing 3 languages. French takes the front to my Hindi and Greek, partly because it's easiest for simply sitting and reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4968 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 60
09 July 2014 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
evilado wrote:
Also, I'm considering a trip to Montreal in October for my fall break, that should be
motivating and an opportunity to learn some new vocab, accents, and expressions. Might
try to add another tutor to the mix, as I am a little bit behind on the italki world cup
challenge.

A visit to Montreal - so delightful; and linguistically so motivating! <smile>

If you have time (and are so inclined), you may also wish to check out some of the bookstores while you're
there. If you'll excuse my referencing my own log, I have a number of posts on some of the ones I visited.   
Montreal bookstores , starting at message 182 on
page 23, and then continuing on to page 25.

Don't forget also there's a list of resources for Quebec French (taken from, and hence also in my log), on the
first page of the Team Deuxième thread.

- And, as you may already know, Emk has posted quite a bit on Montreal on his log too.

Edited by songlines on 09 July 2014 at 5:43am

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3765 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 43 of 60
11 July 2014 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks songlines, I recall reading emk's log and the Deuxième resources way back towards
the start of the challenge, but hadn't consulted the again for quite some time. I was
sort of laser-focused on getting Parisian conversational French up to a decent level that
I more or less ignored several neat Canadian things.

@Jeffers

I read it on Lingq, which takes a lot of the hassle of wrangling resources out of the
process. You do not have to be a a paying member to read it, just to store new vocab, but
it's already there with audio.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3765 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 44 of 60
11 July 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Spanish Finished Cuando los chinos hablan. Like I said, not amazing, but there
were some neat anecdotes. Listened to some podcasts, but mostly had an off week for
Spanish because I was travelling and reading lots.
Mandarin Really good lesson yesterday, felt a little more fluid and easy to
speak, still holding on by a thread with my dictionary for all the vocab I need, but I
feel more confident with the words I already know.
FSI Module 4 Unit 2
CC101 Elementary Lesson 31

Another couple things: I read the Chinese Breeze Title "I really want to find her", the
300 word level book. Plot was terrible, pretty much three dopes obsessed with a Chinese
girl based on one picture, but easy enough to read. I think I will keep on with the 300
word level until I finish and then move on to the 750.

I also started the Duolingo English for Chinese Speakers course. Quite helpful so far,
I have to write lots of Chinese sentences and the instructions are very familiar.

French Just one session this week, which was good. I finished The Stranger and
am about 25% done with Harry Potter 3. Finally past the annoying "not at Hogwart's"
part. Not so many podcasts or movies, I need to double down on my listening skills and
maybe watch a movie or two this weekend.

Edited by evilado on 11 July 2014 at 4:04pm

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3765 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 45 of 60
21 July 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Spent all last week out of town for work. Thought I would be working 8 hours days with
plenty of free time back at the hotel for study, worked 13 hour days and didn't have
wifi at the hotel. I did read a lot on the plane ride over, and I am finally caught
back up on memrise again.

Spanish Read about 75 pages of the Spanish translation of 1491, a book about the
Americas before Columbus. Not amazing, but an interesting topic. More podcasts but not
enough.
Mandarin Stuck on FSI 4.2, directions are proving to be a bit difficult and I
just need to buckle down and do a couple thorough listens. Been watching youtube clips
and listening to cc101 lessons instead of plowing through more FSI. About halfway done
with 你最喜欢谁?Whom do you like more? I love to read in any language, and it is
especially rewarding to see words in something other than a preprogrammed lesson.

French About 70% done with HP3, just about to get to the good plot-rich wrapping
up endgame. Started reading "Le Tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours" because it was
free and I didn't have any other books available at the time, neat enough for the
moment.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3765 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 46 of 60
28 July 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Spanish A couple conversations this week, made some easy mistakes and forgot
some words, but speaking fluidly with no communication problems. Watched a lot of
Cualca, an Argentine short sketch-comedy youbtube show from Malena Pichot. Very
entertaining stuff. Read a little, but didn't make a ton of progress with 1491.
Mandarin Decided to just go through FSI Module 4 without mastery, it's slowing
me down and I am avoiding FSI because of it. Something about mixing the spatial and
language parts of my brain together, directions are tough. Almost through the second
keyhole on Duolingo, this has been very helpful.

Otherwise, finished Who do you like more? and started 电脑公司的秘密. Secrets of a
computer company, my first 500-word level book. Also completed a mountain of memrise
and had a few lessons that went very well, one of which was definitely at native speed
with almost no English for a full half hour.

French Finished HP3, overall quite a fast read. I really like reading a series,
because you get used to the characters and what to expect. Plus I know there are 4 more
books in the series waiting on me. On Chapter 11 of the Jules Verne, had a couple
lessons this week that went OK.

I'm up to 24.5/25 hours for the italki challenge, just need one more instant session in
the next 3 days and I'm done. It's been a mix of my three languages, mostly maintenance
for French and Spanish, but I have made lots of progress in Spoken Chinese.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3765 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 47 of 60
30 July 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
World Cup challenge is completed! Final tally:

Mandarin: 13 hours
French: 10 hours
Spanish: 2 hours

I know the whole idea was to do 25 hours in a single language to make great progress,
but I had a great lesson this morning with a tutor I hadn't seen in a month and she
commented on how much better I spoke, how much more I understood, how much more of a
conversation we could have. Sometimes in the beginning stages it feels like you are
making no progress, but I feel like my Mandarin is coming along slowly but surely.
Whenever the next challenge comes along, I might do a single language, but I am happy
with this one.

Spanish is pure maintenance here, but I do not have any problems finding a free
language exchange there.

French waxes and wanes, but I am still reading and speaking and learning. The Super
Challenge is quite a good commitment.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3765 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 48 of 60
05 August 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
A nice and light week with no tutoring, gonna start that back up next week.

Spanish Still grinding through 1491, interesting but depressing. Can't seem to
pick up another work of fiction, the ones I want to read a all pretty long and I wanted
something quicker. Might just wait until 1491 is over and start up another Llosa or
Bolaño. Really just spoiled for choice and usually end up reading something lighter in
French. Nothing wrong with only reading 5 books at a time. A little more diversity in
the podcast selection this week, more science than usual.

Mandarin Hopped back on the FSI train after a week or two of nothing but cc101.
Only about 10 lessons left in the Elementary series. Since using native materials still
seem impossibly distant, it´s nice to feel like I´m accomplishing things here. Really
enjoying the combo of duolingo + cc101 + memrise to master dialogues and short sentence
productions with activated vocab.
French About 30 pages into HP4, Chapter 17 of the Jules Verne. I'm sure one day
I'll move onto the rich depressing great works of French literature, but for now I'm
blessed with the reading level of a tween.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version