United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4343 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 97 of 297
03 October 2014 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Just wanted to say that your log is amazing Cristina. Every time I think I've convinced myself that I'm not going to start learning Russian next year I read your log and change my mind again :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 98 of 297
03 October 2014 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
@chokofingrz. Yes, this was very intense! No wonder I feel like I have been away for a
month. I did more here than in a whole month in Kiev.

@Serpent: That's fantastic! Having fun activities usually takes the top off any fatigue
you might feel from that activity.

@vonPeterhof: It was great meeting you too, and I trust that the next time we can all get
together.

@Radioclare: You just made my day :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 99 of 297
03 October 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
It's really interesting reading about your experiences, as always. I'm almost tempted to attempt Russian again! I studied it for some months a few years ago, and needless to say didn't get very far in that short amount of time; it's definitely a whole level up in difficulty compared to a Romance/Germanic language where you can pick up the basics in a few months.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

At the hotel the staff and I spoke a mix of Russian and English. The exact same thing happened as what has
been the norm in Paris lately. I speak to them in Russian, they answer in Russian, I speak to them again in
Russian, they answer in Russian that they need my passport. I hand over the passport, and the moment they
see my name they switch to English. Immediately. While I still speak Russian. I'll be damned if I'll switch to
English as long as I have the vocabulary to say what I want to say in Russian. So the next two minutes they
switched between English and Russian, while I kept speaking Russian. When this happens in France I get
furious, because I am fluent in French with just a hint of an accent. That is so not the case of Russian, so I
did not get upset, but I told them I was here to practice my Russian, and asked them to please be so kind as
to speak Russian with me. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Exactly the same thing happened to me several times in Italy as well. It seems to be universal! One receptionist even saw me a few hours later and we had a chat, she didn't believe me when I told her that I spoke Italian and at first thought I was joking - despite the first few minutes of our initial conversation having been in Italian.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 100 of 297
03 October 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Cristina, thank you for the wonderful time I spent with you! Thanks
to espejismo and Mark too, it was great to meet you guys :)

I've noticed that you still list Russian as a beginner language, and based on our
communication I'd say it's high time to change that ;) Especially your speaking seems
like a solid intermediate level to me, and even if the comprehension lags behind
sometimes, that's perfectly normal at this stage. I'm impressed with the progress
you've made over a half a year or so. You aren't even that far from what this
forum calls basic fluency, I'd say you "just" need to understand and use more
vocabulary. Which isn't as trivial as it may sound, of course, but also not as
intimidating as you possibly think. You're well on your way, keep up the fantastic
work! ♥

I tend to agree with this assessment :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 101 of 297
03 October 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like a great trip, Cristina! I really envy you for such a fantastic experience.

And I also agree with Serpent and tarvos. Your Russian is much better than you think! :)

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 102 of 297
03 October 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Love your log and your story. Very interesting! I'm struck by the attention and care you take in your log and I think you have the heart of a story teller. You're very eloquent and obviously intelligent. Hope your children enjoyed London. :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 103 of 297
03 October 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
@Gary B: Thank you! Do attempt Russian again! As you noticed, it takes some time before
you see results!

@Tarvos: Thank you! Not quite sure I agree, though :-)

@Josquin: It was! Next year in Moscow for the whole Russian team?

@rdearman: Oh, thank you! With that many compliments on one plate, I feel right back in
Moscow again :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 104 of 297
03 October 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
@Tarvos: Thank you! Not quite sure I agree, though :-)

If that's not the intermediate level, then what is the intermediate level? ;)

Edited by Serpent on 03 October 2014 at 1:58pm

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version