297 messages over 38 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 37 38 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4618 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 17 of 297
01 February 2014 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Wow, you've already kicked off the 6wc challenge! :-o
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 297
01 February 2014 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Mrwarper: Then you are luckier than I am -or you have a better memory :-)

Expugnator: Thank you, I am pushing on!

Prz: Yep, it is good to get a head start :-)

Good news yesterday. I had a work performance review with my boss where he could not find anything I or
my section could improve on, since both he and our Director General were really happy with our work
already, plus he'll let me do another 2 weeks' Russian course this summer! Kiev here I come! (Just not right
now). When you add to that the fact that the two guys who work for me gave me an almost embarrassingly
good feed back as a boss in their job review, I am a pretty happy customer right now. I am also working out
three times a week (which is veeeery sorely needed) and have changed to healthier eating habits plus have
two absolutely wonderful teenage girls, so all in all I have never been this happy in my whole life. May it last!
:-)

With the Russian course I have the necessary motivation to work hard at my Russian.

Yesterday and day before yesterday I also wrote my two first text messages in Russian, so I am really happy
about that! I can in principle not write Russian at all, but the answers I got matched my message, and since
they were both Russian teachers I hope they would have told me if I made any major mistakes.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 19 of 297
01 February 2014 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

[...] so all in all I have never been this happy in my whole life. May it last!

May it last indeed. And now is exactly when you should forget about central Asia and be 100% happy about Turkey :)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Mrwarper: Then you are luckier than I am -or you have a better memory :-)

Although in other contexts I go by the name of Mr Memory Man ;) I have to say that those bits in particular I couldn't possibly forget -- I never watch films alone, so not only I was paying extra attention to see what I could with 'foreign' speech, there was always somebody asking 'what did they say?' or 'is that what they actually said?*', which kind of made every single one of those bits to stand out :-)

*You can have both, actually: sometimes they'd have real German spoken by Germans AND subtitles.

German officers (as opposed to soldiers) almost always interacted with American characters in English, though, but most of them were supposed to be able to anyway, so that's not very unrealistic.

I think most countries require[d] their officers to speak foreign languages to some proficiency level (especially those of allies and possible enemies I would guess) at one point or another. It mostly sounds very 19th and 20th centuries to me (something I love anyway), and my Russian friends concur with that. I don't know if that's in fashion any more, but I think it isn't. Does anyone know of anywhere?

Edited by mrwarper on 01 February 2014 at 2:40pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 20 of 297
01 February 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Good luck, Christina! I see you're already signed up for the 6WC. Will follow your
progress with interest. I'm so curious as to how you will find Turkish, as well. Keep it
up!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 297
03 February 2014 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Mrwarper: You are so right. I am completely happy about Turkey. It will be lovely :-)

Woodsei: And where are you girl! I'm missing the competition! When you are there I work so hard I get a
migraine, today I have only worked to the point where I am nauseous. (Just kidding - at least almost...)

This is my lucky week: Usually we only have something about Russia/in Russian once in a blue moon, but
because of the Olympics, this week they have a theme week on Russia on one of the Norwegian channels.
There are four programmes about Russia just today, and I have listened to lots of lovely spoken Russian.

They spoke about Victor Vekselberg( whose name sounds more Norwegian than Russian) who have bought
back 9 Fabergé eggs, and opened a museum. There was also a story on the performance artist Pjotr
Pavlenskij who mutilates himself in protest. He had a French "r", can anyone tell me if that is a regional thing,
and if yes, which region that belongs to?

I have also booked 10.5 hours of tutoring this week, so I should see an improvement in my spoken Russian.

AND MY RUSSIAN TEACHER SAID MY RUSSIAN WAS GOOD TODAY.!!!!

I almost fell off the chair. This is not the new one, this is the one who has seen all my struggling over the last
5 years and thinks I am an idiot.

I felt like I won an Olympic gold medal right there and then. Of course, in the very next sentence I managed to
make 5 different mistakes and completely butcher the language( you have to admire the creativity though) ,
but hey, it was still a good day :-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 22 of 297
03 February 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[…] Good news yesterday. […] so all in all I have never been this happy in my whole life. May it last!

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[…] but hey, it was still a good day :-)

It’s so good to see that things are starting to look up Russian-/language-wise and otherwise for you after that dismal 2013!

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[…] Of course, in the very next sentence I managed to make 5 different mistakes and completely butcher the language( you have to admire the creativity though)

And yes, creativity is a great form of human expression and we need to find an outlet for it, even if that means we may (lovingly) “abuse” a foreign language in the process! ;-)

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 23 of 297
04 February 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
He had a French "r", can anyone tell me if that is a regional thing, and if yes, which region that belongs to?
It isn't associated with any traditional dialects (other than a stereotypical Yiddish-influenced Jewish accent that has all but died out together with Yiddish in the former Soviet Union), so it's mostly just seen as a speech defect. Having spent parts of my childhood in Saint Petersburg and Almaty (for all intents and purposes a Russian-speaking city), I've noticed that it seems a lot more widespread in the former than in the latter, but still not enough to qualify as a regional feature (yet). Although it might be indicative that I couldn't roll my r's until my family moved to Almaty, while my younger brothers both developed French r's soon after we moved back (they have both got rid of them by now).

Edit: got my formers and latters mixed up.

Edit2: Just looked up Mr. Pavlensky, and turns out he's from Saint Petersburg. Another case in point.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 04 February 2014 at 10:30pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 24 of 297
04 February 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Кристина ты молодец! продолжай в том же духе, и все будет хорошо!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version