Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 209 of 297
24 February 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
milesaway wrote:
I love reading your stories. You have so many adventures.

If you're ever in St. Petersburg again, please let me know.

The part about the toilets made me laugh. I find it's really hit or miss. Some
restaurants have these beautiful rooms, while others lack a lock on the door, or the
seat. Perhaps it's just my experience, but the bit about the toilet paper is true.

Thank you. You'll be first on my list whenever I go. And I do not have all that many adventures, I just like
telling stories, that's all :-) Iversen and I agreed that what in my blog would be a long and detailed account on
my trip to Serbia, in his blog would be:" I went to Serbia"...
3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4557 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 210 of 297
25 February 2015 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
And it is actually based on a true story. From the US...
Sort of... About the only thing in common with the Heemeyer story is that there's an automechanic losing a land dispute with the local authorities. Allegedly the director first wanted to make a straight-up adaptation of his story, but then it slowly turned into a "how this would have played out in Russia" speculative scenario, so instead of the little guy lashing out at the system in an almost unrealistically spectacular manner we get the system crushing him in a manner both cruel and chillingly mundane. I guess it can be argued that religion had some role in both stories, but there don't seem to be any alcohol- or dysfunctional family-related issues in Heemeyer's case. But then, if Fargo and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre can claim to have been based on true events, then so can Leviathan :) In fact, the absence of the "killdozer" probably makes the story much more applicable to scores of real life cases from all over the world, most of which never even make it into the news...

About 50 Shades, I don't remember if I brought it up in our dinner conversation, but a lot of actual BDSM enthusiasts seem to really hate the franchise, saying that what it portrays looks more like an abusive relationship than a proper BDSM relationship. In fact a film critic I follow on Twitter has suggested a film that portrays these relationships much more realistically, that might still be screened in some arthouse cinemas. It's called The Duke of Burgundy, and apparently the relationship in it is "a mostly awkward series of negotiations to maintain a bizarre fantasy". Not quite as exciting, I guess :)

Oh, and here's something I think you might find interesting - Журавли, sung in Avar, the language the original poem was written in by Rasul Gamzatov. Dem ejective affricates...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 211 of 297
25 February 2015 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
And it is actually based on a true story. From the US...
Sort of... About the only thing in common with the
Heemeyer story is that there's an automechanic
losing a land dispute with the local authorities. Allegedly the director first wanted to make a straight-up
adaptation of his story, but then it slowly turned into a "how this would have played out in Russia" speculative
scenario, so instead of the little guy lashing out at the system in an almost unrealistically spectacular manner
we get the system crushing him in a manner both cruel and chillingly mundane. I guess it can be argued that
religion had some role in both stories, but there don't seem to be any alcohol- or dysfunctional family-related
issues in Heemeyer's case. But then, if Fargo and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre can claim to have been
based on true events, then so can Leviathan :) In fact, the absence of the "killdozer" probably makes the
story much more applicable to scores of real life cases from all over the world, most of which never even
make it into the news...

About 50 Shades, I don't remember if I brought it up in our dinner conversation, but a lot of actual BDSM
enthusiasts seem to really hate the franchise, saying that what it portrays looks more like an abusive
relationship than a proper BDSM relationship. In fact a film critic I follow on Twitter has suggested a film that
portrays these relationships much more realistically, that might still be screened in some arthouse cinemas.
It's called The Duke of Burgundy, and apparently the relationship in it is "a mostly awkward series of
negotiations to maintain a bizarre fantasy". Not quite as exciting, I guess :)

Oh, and here's something I think you might find interesting - v=PB68NEFH2ZI">Журавли, sung in Avar, the language the original poem was written in by Rasul
Gamzatov. Dem ejective affricates...

Hm. Yes, that connection was indeed rather flimsy. Thanks for the link! And yes, I have also heard that
BDSM enthusiast hate 50 SoG, though apparently their organizations are happy that it creates more interest
in the topic.

And I loved the Avar version of Журавли! Where do they speak Avar, by the way?
1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4557 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 212 of 297
25 February 2015 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Avar is native to the Republic of Dagestan in the North Caucasus region, to the east of Chechnya and to the north of Azerbaijan. It's the largest native language in the republic, but the place is so linguistically diverse that its speakers only make up less than a third of the population. Plus a lot of its dialects are barely mutually intelligible.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 213 of 297
25 February 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Wow. I must admit that my knowledge on Caucasus is even less than my knowledge on Russia.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 214 of 297
25 February 2015 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Well... part of the Caucasus is in Russia. Dagestan has six main languages I think - one
of my friends speaks Lak! I know one word :D

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 215 of 297
25 February 2015 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I do not have all that many adventures, I just like
telling stories, that's all :-) Iversen and I agreed that what in my blog would be a long and detailed account on my trip to Serbia, in his blog would be:" I went to Serbia"...

Well, my contribution ended up as the following long and detailed account of 2 weeks of travelling (from Oct. 15 2014):

"Long time not write, but I have been away on a trip from Zadar over Banja Luka and Beograd to Novi Sad, where I have been attending the polyglot conference. Those who have read Cristina's delectable reports from the event already know pretty much what happened there, and I'm not going to try to compete with that superb piece of reporting."

(though plagued by bouts of bad conscience I also wrote a few lines in Serbian about the trip just a few days later)

Edited by Iversen on 25 February 2015 at 4:02pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 216 of 297
25 February 2015 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
I guess what my geography teacher told me once, also goes for details of language studies: "You have no
actual knowledge, but your writing is superb". :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version