Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 66 of 297
27 August 2014 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Serbo-Croatian.

Congratulations! What were your main challenges in learning that?

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 67 of 297
28 August 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Марк wrote:
Serbo-Croatian.

Congratulations! What were your main challenges in learning that?

Grammar, especially word order. Unlike russian, it has something similar to Romance languages, where there are auxiliary verbs and unstressed pronouns which must be put in the correct order. For example, дао сам му нешта - I gave him something.
The problem here that I was understood even with wrong grammar. I was in Montenegro. The hosts were very friendly and liked talking to me but dind't know Russian, which was good of course. By the end I could hold a conversation with them about everything. Of course I had to study formal grammar more and read more (I did that but not enough).

Edited by Марк on 28 August 2014 at 12:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 297
28 August 2014 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
I also find it unsettling that Serbian and Croatian use an auxiliary verb with 'the usual' adjectival-like active past participle which without any further ado is used as the past tense in Russian. But I got the first shock already with Polish, where they add a personal verbal ending to this form. At least the Serbs and Croats keep their auxiliary as a distinct word.

I also find it puzzling that the auxiliary is a form of "biti" (to be) rather than "imati" (to have) - in for instance Spanish and Portugues the only auxiliary used isn't one of their 'to be' verbs, but a 'to have' verb. But I have tried to hammer this difference into my head by using hyperliteral translations with a past tense instead of the participle (not "I am done that", but "I am did that"). And the reason that this works is that I have internalized the Russian kind of past tense without an auxiliary. I wonder what happens the day I attack Bu(l)garian.

Edited by Iversen on 28 August 2014 at 11:53am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 69 of 297
28 August 2014 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I wonder what happens the day I attack Bu(l)garian.

Knowing you, you will do just great :-)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 70 of 297
28 August 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Historically the l-forms (like делал) are past ACTIVE participles (like делавший in modern Russian) that's why they are used with the verb "to be". The old meaning is still seen in Russian adjectives like былой, бывалый, талый, горелый, палый, усталый (a synonim of уставший), устарелый (устаревший). So устал is a short form of усталый. Я устал is like English I'm tired in fact)))

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5901 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 71 of 297
28 August 2014 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, I just wanted to chime in to say how much I've been enjoying reading about your time in Ukraine and how happy I am to see you making such great progress in Russian! You're an inspiration, as always!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 72 of 297
28 August 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Cristina, I just wanted to chime in to say how much I've been enjoying reading about
your time in Ukraine and how happy I am to see you making such great progress in Russian! You're an
inspiration, as always!

Thank you! Long time no see! I hope to hear soon what you have been up to lately:-)

This discussion contains 297 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version