Joined 5145 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 25 of 45
08 January 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
[...]

Sadly, present company excluded, I'd think that most people know about (for example) "Pride and Prejudice" or "Animal Farm" from films or TV.

If you want books that most people have read, then you probably need to turn to the sort of fare that is part of the secondary school curriculum. "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Lord of the Flies", "Of Mice and Men", "White Fang". Usually a Shakespeare play too, but everyone will have worked through a different set (of two or maybe three).

[...]

So for widespread cultural references you may want to look to the cinema. Or just sit down and watch The Simpsons :-)

Well, that’s the same everywhere! But as emk always says, from a certain level upward you no longer take as a model the person on the street, but you aim to hold your own when talking to an ‘educated’ native speaker.

The titles you mentioned are excellent, if on the “popular” side (i.e. anyone with a little interest in British or American literature will have already read them. At least I have as I suppose most of us.) Maybe we should look for something slightly off the beaten path: still relevant, but that we may have overlooked until now.

I will track down the Fitzgerald short story, as I knew of it but I haven’t yet found the time to read it and your reminder comes just at the right moment.

And you’re absolutely right when you say that cultural references are more likely to come from TV and movies than from literature nowadays. But a little variety in the media we spend our time with (TV, films, novels, non-fiction, pop-music etc.) certainly can’t hurt, don’t you think?

1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4449 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 26 of 45
08 January 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
@Druckfelher: Do you remember whether you felt the IELTS was difficult? I passed it as well 2 years ago without any preparation and got "good" results. All I got from the exam was that I should work on my active skills as those were my lowest grades (listening: 8.5; reading: 8; conversation: 7.5; Writing: 6,5...). I did feel that this exam did not reach my expectations..

Looks like my interest is piqued. Judging by what druckfehler and you wrote, it shouldn't be that hard for me either.
Any way to find out if there's any accomodations for the disabled? I'm profoundly hearing-impaired, so taking a normal listening test is out of the question...

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4129 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 27 of 45
09 January 2014 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
circumstances/">IELTS does allow for special circumstances. You can use a headset,
FM system or lip-read if that's easier. There are some other options too.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4463 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 28 of 45
09 January 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
The titles you mentioned are excellent, if on the “popular” side (i.e.
anyone with a little interest in British or American literature will have already read
them. At least I have as I suppose most of us.) Maybe we should look for something
slightly off the beaten path: still relevant, but that we may have overlooked until
now.

I read and enjoyed "Cakes and Ale" by Somerset Maugham. "Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand was
quite interesting too. Ian McEwen's "The Cement Garden" is one my daughter enjoyed at
school. "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" are books that I
remember enjoying at the time (and which I would re-read if I could find the time :-)).

A selection from by Orwell, Hemmingway, Wodehouse and Conrad are probably worth looking
at. Dickens probably doesn't fall in the remit (not being contemporary) but should be
in your arsenal somewhere.

Emme wrote:
And you’re absolutely right when you say that cultural references are more
likely to come from TV and movies than from literature nowadays. But a little variety
in the media we spend our time with (TV, films, novels, non-fiction, pop-music etc.)
certainly can’t hurt, don’t you think?

I was just following instructions and suggesting where to look for cultural references.
I for one don't watch enough TV or films to keep up with the latest trends and I fill
the void with reading (albeit not so much in English these days). As long as you know
that that's not necessarily typical of the people you're likely to meet in the street
or a pub.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4449 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 29 of 45
09 January 2014 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
milesaway wrote:
circumstances/">IELTS does allow for special circumstances. You can use a headset,
FM system or lip-read if that's easier. There are some other options too.

Great - seriously considering taking IELTS when the MA is out of the way - it's taking up a lot of my time and I'm splitting the free time between relaxing and learning Arabic and keeping my German floating...

Carry on folks, nothing to see here! :D

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5145 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 30 of 45
09 January 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
[...]

I read and enjoyed "Cakes and Ale" by Somerset Maugham. "Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand was
quite interesting too. Ian McEwen's "The Cement Garden" is one my daughter enjoyed at
school. "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" are books that I
remember enjoying at the time (and which I would re-read if I could find the time :-)).

A selection from by Orwell, Hemmingway, Wodehouse and Conrad are probably worth looking
at. Dickens probably doesn't fall in the remit (not being contemporary) but should be

[...]

Thank you! Keep the suggestions coming!

They are all great, but apart from the Ayn Rand, I’ve already read all the others. Am I that well-read?!? Sure, majoring in English literature probably made me particularly attentive to the kind of novels I felt I should know. I went to an “istituto tecnico” (technical high school after which you can enter either University or the job market) rather than a “liceo” (secondary school preparatory to University) and so I always felt an inferiority complex towards people who reached University better prepared to higher studies. So I started to read wildly and widely to make up for lost time … and then I kept on reading even after the gap had probably been closed.

But I’m happy if I can find a few like-minded literature buffs to share our reading experiences. I come from a year (2013) when for various reasons I read very few English novels* and that’s why I intend to put an extra effort into reading during TAC’14.

*when I write 'English novels', I usually mean novels written in English. British, American, Canadian, Australian, Indian etc. authors are all fair game.

Edited by Emme on 09 January 2014 at 4:29pm

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4849 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 31 of 45
09 January 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

Conrad can indeed be challenging.
It reminds of this ridiculous old thread on Antimoon, a now defunct forum: "It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention" (The thread contains expletives!)

What about Nabokov? David Foster Wallace?

edit: Truman Capote. All his novels and short stories. He's my new favorite author.
You can also try J. M. Coetzee, if you're into Dostoyevsky-influenced type of authors.

- a fellow English major

Edited by espejismo on 09 January 2014 at 5:54pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4463 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 32 of 45
09 January 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
Conrad can indeed be challenging.

I read my first few Conrad stories without realising that his native language was Polish
and he was writing in (I think) his 3rd language.

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version