Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5012 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 41 of 45
30 January 2014 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure some learning took place, as to when exactly... :-)
Doing stuff in the middle of the night is not the healthiest way to go I guess.

OED sounds very cool, but I won't be looking up enough stuff with etymology and such in mind to justify £95 per year (and that's with some rebate / offer they have now).

I look up stuff online because it's faster but if I want something authoritative I'll just stand up and use my big Collins. Gotta scan that one some day...
1 person has voted this message useful

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3860 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 42 of 45
16 February 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Hi Advanced ESL Team,

Couple of days ago, I told Emme that I was joining the Advanced ESL Team, but only had time now to drop some lines here and start my log. Sorry for the delay.

So here is my log, I will keep it updated as regularly as possible: Yaan’s Language Learning Log

As for my English, I can read and speak without problem, but still feel there is some room for improvement, that's why I'm here. :)

I'm glad to join you, and wish everyone good luck for the TAC 2014.

Edited by Yaan on 16 February 2014 at 7:04pm

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 43 of 45
17 February 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team, Yaan!

I’ve added your name and a link to your log to the roster in the first post, so now you’re officially a member of our ESL team.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 44 of 45
25 April 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
As I did with Team Asgard, I’ve sent out PMs to all team members who haven’t logged in since the forum outage to let them know that HTLAL is back online. Hopefully they will get a notification through their e-mail and come back to the forum.

This team hasn’t been particularly active so far, so what about an update on what you’ve all been up to in these months?

I, for one, have been mainly reading novels but I’ve also begun to write reviews or short essays about those novels, like the ones you may find on book blogs or you have to do for high school or college. Not that I’m going to keep a book blog or go back to school! I just needed a prompt to write, and writing about books seems as good an excuse as any.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 45 of 45
02 June 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Well, this is coming a bit late but here's a (really) quick update on my English since
I don't actually have that much to say.

As I said at the beginning (I think I did at least), I've been working on my accent
mostly. No proper study but I've been listening to a lot of English and speaking
english with some native speakers here in China since I've arrived. I've come to a
point where more and more people ask me if I've lived in the UK for a long period or
even if I am British. Of course it doesn't happen all the time and I get the occasional
spurt of French accent but I am still rather satisfied with my accent.

I've also been translating some stuff from French to English for my work and there are
rather specialized technical words or expressions that I've had to look up. (I have to
admit I did not know the word Alloy before looking for it). It might not be the most
useful vocabulary but it is always pleasant to get to know some more.

As for my writing, work (and the rare occasions I write on HTLAL)is my only proper
practice. Emails, proposals, etc. have made me care more of nuances which is something
which I had been willing to do for a long time.

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version