Duan
Canada
Joined 4578 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish, French

Message 1 of 25
31 December 2013 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Hi there, I'm Duan and this is my language log for the Total Annihilation Challenge.
This is my first time taking part and in fact I've been a very casual peruser of these
forums until now. Certainly, that will have to change!

I have joined up with team Sokoły to work on my Polish, and Triomphe for French.

Polish
I've been studying Polish for a little over two years now. I did it for a number of
reasons, but they were all pretty oddball, at least for the conventional language
learner. I have no Polish descendants nor significant others, or even really any
friends or acquaintances. I had no plans to visit the country (I had been to Europe
once years ago and if I ever went back Poland wasn't high on the list of places to
visit). The secret main reason is just because I really like the sound of it. Also I
heard it was tough and I wanted to give myself a challenge after trying and failing
repeatedly to learn any language through school (first French, then Japanese, Spanish
and German).

Well to make a long story short even without a dedicated regimen I was able to get
myself to a good enough level that I was able to travel to Poland after all (twice!)
this year, and have actual conversations (and be fully understood). Since a lot of
grammar points have so far failed to stick, I would class myself as still in the A
level (probably closer to A2 than A1, but who knows?). This year, I'd like to get
solidly in B1 or B2. The real goal is to get to the point where my passive skills
(listening and reading) are effortless. Listening especially is still hit or miss for
me.

That being said, I'm really proud of my Polish. I've been complimented several times
on my accent and even been proclaimed a genius by one of my new polish acquaintances
due to my acquisition of the language. Quite the ego boost, considering I can still
recall the time that it took me three days of practice to successfully get the
pronunciation of a single word!

Materials:
Pimsleur Polish - I started off with this and considered this the source of my good
accent. Some people have said that it goes too slow and has too much repieition but
for me, it was perfect. Considering that I needed to learn to recognize and repeat new
phonemes that were totally foreign to me at the time. That said, I haven't gone back
to it after going through it twice. Maybe now would be a good time after so long.

Hurra! Po Polsku - This textbook with audio is completely in Polish, but having already
gotten the basics, I haven't found this book to be too difficult to get into. However,
I did get stalled and bored around the chapter on telling time. Going to have to try
this one again.

Anki/Memrise - I have an anki deck and Memrise decks, though I've been absent from
Memrise for a long while. I should really go back and take a look at what they have.

Skype - I generally have an hour call weekly with a Polish friend to get in my
conversation.

French
As a Canadian, I took French classes throughout my school career, stopping a couple of
years into high school. It will come as a shock to no one I'm sure, that I can't
string two words together. However, it feels like a lot of it is still somewhat stuck
in my brain - I can count to ten without any effort, for example. So while I'm
starting from "scratch", I likely have a pretty high passive knowledge that just needs
to be reactivated. Well, I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

My reason for learning French is not only to conquer my first second language, which
sent me away with my tail between my legs, but I plan for my daughter to attend an
immersion program come September. So I'd like to be capable of speaking to her with it
so that she sees its relevance right away. Similar to Polish, I'm aiming for a
conversational ability in the language.

Materials:
Pimsleur French - I liked this so much for Polish, so I'd like to do the same for la
Francaise

I also have a book with audio for French tucked away in storage that I need to bust out
and see if it's worthwhile.

I'd also like to get into Quebecois as soon as possible, since I'd like to be a proud
patriotic little Canadian :) Also, I heard that it's easier for Quebecois speakers to
understand Parisian than the other way around, so that seems like another point in its
favour. Not sure where the best resources are yet for that but I don't think some kind
of reference will be that hard to find.

As a father of two kids, one with special needs, I will have plenty on my plate as it
is. I plan to commit to three updates a week or so and hope that my posting frequency
will be adequate.

Here's hoping it's a good year!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Duan
Canada
Joined 4578 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes

Message 2 of 25
02 January 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
January 1st, 2013:

French:
So, I started the year off reasonably well with Pimsleur French. Ignoring the advice,
I went through the first three lessons, twice each. That puts me at about 3 hours of
study so far. One thing I am noticing is that my previous knowledge in the language is
manifesting itself in that my receptive skill is way better than my expressive at the
moment. I could pretty much understand the first conversation right off the bat with
no problems. Of course, producing the same was much harder. Currently my focus will
be on the spoken language, attempting to wrestle my atrocious accent into a merely bad
one.

One unexpected thing is because I've done this course using Polish and it follows a
very similar script, I find myself responding automatically in Polish instead of French
if I'm not paying attention! So I have to make sure my wires get uncrossed and pay
attention until responding is more natural.

Went into storage and found the other course - Living Language French. It also has an
audio course and claims that I should be able to "Speak French with confidence in just
6 weeks!" So after getting through Pimsleur French I, we'll put that to the test :)

Tomorrow I will continue to go through the Pimsleur course at my current accelerated
pace. So far I don't feel that doing multiple lessons a day is a problem, but if I do
I can always dial it back.

Polish:
Not much active Polish study today, though I did wish a few Polish friends a Happy New
Year on social media, and reviewed my Anki deck.

Tomorrow I will listen to some podcasts to get in some more listening practice. I will
also likely start Hurra! Po Polsku from the beginning as a review. And how could I
forget the other text I work out of, Teach Yourself Complete Polish? It's yet another
course that contains audio that I listen to regularly. Unfortunately this is mostly in
a passive way during my commute and I'd like to actively study it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4912 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 3 of 25
02 January 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Hi Duan, I'll be watching your progress in Polish and French with interest. All the best for this year's TAC!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 4 of 25
02 January 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Hi Duan

I'm one of your new teammates, so just wanted to wish you luck for the year. I also like
the sound of Polish and hope that this reason alone will keep you motivated enough during
the year.

Of course, as your teammate I'll be following your progress.

Duan
Canada
Joined 4578 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes

Message 5 of 25
02 January 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks guys! I will be sure to check out your logs as well!
1 person has voted this message useful

Duan
Canada
Joined 4578 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes

Message 6 of 25
03 January 2014 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Janvier 2, 2013
French:
Today I had to return to work, so I only did two lessons, so only an hour this time. However, I'm already
learning new things:

- The expression "Mais si" (well, that's how it sounds; not sure on the spelling because I am purposely not
focusing on spelling. And after being spoiled by phonetic spelling with Polish I realize this will be much
harder with all the silent endings)
- Speaking of which, silent endings. Did not realize you actually pronounce them after vowels. I sure
didn't pay very much attention in all those years of school.
- I've been pronouncing "bien" wrong for the last 30 years!   Oh well, guess it's never too late to learn!
- I like saying madamoiselle.

Ok, not much to report really to report. I guess updating every day will be hard. Just trying to keep up
momentum.

Polish:
More Anki, Also started getting back into Memrise and going through my old lists. So far pretty good.   I
need to get the podcasts.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5887 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 7 of 25
03 January 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Hey Duan, I'm glad you've got going with your log.
What kind of podcasts do you listen to? And from where?
Podcasts have become central to my learning, and are so interesting in their own right. I get to practise reading and then, reinforcing the comprehension through listening. In the process, I learn a lot about Polish (and world) culture, science, news etc. It's all good!

Duan
Canada
Joined 4578 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes

Message 8 of 25
04 January 2014 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Cześć Mooby,

The podcasts I listem to currently are at
realpolish.com. I like them because they have
text to go with the audio for when I don't understand (which is often unfortunately).
I'm always on the look out for more good content though, so please feel free to make
any suggestions!

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version