Duan
Canada
Joined 4591 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish, French

Message 25 of 25
11 March 2014 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
So today I finally finished Andrzej Sapkowski's The Last Wish in English and I'm about
to start on it again, this time while simultaneously listening to the Polish recording.
Here's where the true L-R learning starts. I'm curious to see how it works out,
especially since I can't devote 12-15 hours a day on it as the originator recommends
(!) I mean, the audio I have is only 11 hours long!

Finishing the novel took longer than I expected, as I suddenly had a burst of
enthusiasm for French, even though I had previously felt I had hit a wall. I started
Pimsleur 1 from the beginning again and found it a lot easier to keep up. I also
started using tunein.com to just listen to Quebec radio stations. Currently I have to
spend too much effort to actively listen (in both my target languages), so I usually
just have it on at work just to get familiar with the music and flow of the language.
I find this is the thing that discourages me the most, when I am listening to the words
come out of my mouth and I know that they sound wrong. I could make the right word
choice, even have the correct pronunciation, but sometimes the cadence just sounds
wrong and it's really frustrating.

Something that struck me that's likely to not be a surprise to anyone is just how much
you have to pay attention when you're learning a language. I think I am getting
better, but I don't really know how to train this. Once upon a time, when I took a
class in German, I was having a hell of a time even understanding the difference
between Bruder and Brüder. Now I am immediately noticing differences in French between
u and ou - which I didn't notice in all my previous years of study. It's really weird,
but it makes me feel like I'm at least moving forward and learning which is all I can
ask for at the moment. Does anyone have tips on how to be more observant?

While looking for free supplemental materials for Polish, I learned about FSI
(http://www.fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php) and immediately dismissed it since it
didn't have any audio. I'm still disappointed in that, but I finally took another look
at the FAST Polish course and I'm glad I did, because it was very useful for
reinforcing some rules. I also liked the little colour commentary which gives an
interesting view of how the foreign services viewed their subject at that time. It's
certainly outdated by now, but it's interesting to me nonetheless.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version