15 messages over 2 pages: 1
Snowflake
United States
Joined 5772 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 15
11 January 2014 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
After reading native materials for a while, you'll realize that the explanations usually given about characters and Chinese words are incomplete. Also the western understanding of "word" (or at least the American understanding of it) does not exactly match how native Chinese speakers understand it.

Edited by Snowflake on 11 January 2014 at 4:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 15
14 January 2014 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Cool!

The characters although at the beginning I'm not able to remember them, after some days of reviews with anki really
start to stick on my memory! Negative part, only on passive side (I'm not able to read a keyword and write the
corresponding chinese character).
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 11 of 15
17 January 2014 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
What to say... I'm studying the characters actively. It's boring to repeat it :) But with Anki it's going really better now,
and this is also boring to repeat :D
My goal now is to arrive to the 700 characters and start to read some native resource as recommended by
@Snowflake! I can't wait :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 12 of 15
25 January 2014 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
At a certain point I need to rely heavily on my imagination to remember some character... I have to create stories on
my mind to associate the image with the meaning. Still using Anki. In this moment I discovered I'm treating
Mandarin like treating crosswords or games like that...
700 characters goal is much huger than what it seemed at the very beginning. But at least I'm studying for it every
day.

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 13 of 15
25 January 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Well, single characters really do have meaning on their own, but the context is really what defines the meaning. I
have a log, if you're interested, but what I think will REALLY help you a lot is to grab an illustrated Chinese
dictionary. This type of dictionary should have very basic words on things you see every day. As I've been going
through my illustrated dictionary, I realized that I am picking up characters very quickly: I don't need to create
stories, or come up with some fancy gimmick to get myself to remember the characters... instead, I end up
"learning" how all of the words are connected. It is quite awesome, I recommend you try learning the characters for
words from an illustrated dictionary :D

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 14 of 15
28 January 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
thank you for the advice :)
some days ago I went to a Chinese restaurant and was amazing to read the menu and realise that I knew some of
the characters! Amazing but... they were completely out of context!!! And still there is to me not any logic in the
"compound characters", like... employee for example: mouth + shellfish?? And putting many characters in the same
word produce the same effect (to me in my whole complete ignorance about this beautiful language) :) Or the
chinese owners were lazy and put random characters aside the dutch terms :)

One day I will be enlightened (I hope) :D

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 15 of 15
29 January 2014 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
Honestly, I believe characters are exactly like English words. Take the word "believe": think of it as being created
using different radicals... the "be" radical, the "lie" radical, and the "ve" radical.

I know, it's a stretch, but hear me out:

For the words--err um "radicals"--"be", "lie", and "ve", it doesn't really make sense why these came together. I'm
sure if I sit there and study the history of the word, I'll find out that some letters came from misspellings of the
past, others from different languages, and others no one is certain. Either way, if you're trying to make logical
sense of something, then you're doomed to fail... sorry, but you don't always get what you want in the world of
learning :D But really, what are you more interested in? Are you actually interested in making sense of why
characters are created by different radicals? or are you REALLY more interested in just using the actual word, so
you can read or listen to understand the language? You can't have both as quickly, so pick one.

For employee, i'm guessing you mean 员 since that is 口 + 贝 , but do its parts REALLY need to make sense in
order for you to know that "员" might mean employee? Do they have to make logical sense for them to have a
meaning? No. Nope. it's not necessary. Just learn how to pronounce 员, just like you have to individually learn
that the English sounds for "bee-leave" is represented as "believe".

Stay away from the gimmicks and just trust your brain. Enjoy the process, and feel free to be analytical and think,
"ooo employee is a mouth and a shellfish...interesting. maybe this is because employees will typically take your
goods, kinda like the hired fisherman eating my shellfish >[". No, don't say that to yourself, but feel free to
continue to analyze it and do what makes yourself happy, just don't forget to trust your brain and believe in
yourself. While you will never remember 100% of material in one sitting, you'll remember a small percentage, and
that pattern will continue and grow when you reinforce more. Just trust yourself :)

Edited by aerozeplyn on 29 January 2014 at 5:05am

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version