Joined 3804 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 9 of 10
10 January 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Indíritheach wrote:
I spent an hour this morning and another 30 minutes this afternoon working on my Khmer script. It's difficult...my handwriting sucks, just like it does in all my other languages, but I'm going to push on.

Hi Indíritheach, good luck with Cambodian, it's great to see someone study this language! Regarding your handwriting, just keep at it and try to write a bit on a very regular basis (daily). It took me years to get from the handwriting of a preschooler to something resembling normal written Thai (and I'm still not quite there yet). At some point I did a lot of Scriptorum (slowly copying short texts) which I found helpful, but what has really made a difference is my 10 minute routine of spelling exercises every day. I don't think it's fair to expect a beautiful native handwriting after a few months of practicing a new script. It also helps to pay attention to (and maybe ask natives to demonstrate) the variation, shortcuts, contractions etc. you encounter in different printed and handwritten scripts. If Cambodian is similar to Thai, then handwritten characters don't really look like the printed characters found in textbooks.

Thanks for the words of encouragement...I feel like the writing exercises are taking forever, but I know in the long run that weaning myself off of the transcripition is for the best.

Irish: 170h30/1100
Cambodian: 7/1100

I've started Lesson 25 of Learning Irish, covering the genitive case, and am almost finished practicing all of the letters from Unit 1 of Colloquial Cambodian.

Edited by Indíritheach on 10 January 2014 at 1:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3804 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 10 of 10
12 January 2014 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Well, I have some good news and bad news. The good nes is that the Irish is going pretty well, I feel like I could really learn this language. The bad news is I seriously misjudged how much free time I have on my hands. In between work, school, parenting, guitar, Irish, and trying desperately to maintain/improve my Spanish, I just can't squeeze in another language...yet! So it wasn't all for nothing, but I'm gonna have to put my other project on hold and come back to it when I have more time.

So today I got in 2 hours 30 minutes of Irish study, bringing my total to 173h/1100. I'll update more later on.

Edited by Indíritheach on 12 January 2014 at 2:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version