94 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 118
01 January 2014 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Goal for my German in 2014 - solid B2. Sitting at B1 now:
1.) Continue two skype sessions each week
2.) Utilize Italki teachers at least monthly
3.) Continue lingq reading/listening entries weekly, utilize with dw.de articles, episodes and new. Goal for Lingq
to have all time/known word etc. goals up-to-date by year end.
4.) Complete Dulingo tree and score over 4 out of 5 on exam; utilize daily
5.) Utilize Anki deck

Goal for my Spanish in 2014 - solid B2. Sitting at A2/B1 now:
1.) Complete Destinos episodes
2.) Utilize lingq for daily entries of reading/listening. Goal for Lingq to have all time/known word etc. goals up-
to-date by year end.
3.) Talk/text my step mother weekly in Spanish only.
4.) Utilize lessons on Verbling to reach intermediate speaking level
5.) Utilize Anki deck
6.) Complete Duolingo tree and score over 4 out of 5 on exam; utilize daily

Goal for my French in 2014 - A2/B1. Will begin on Jan. 1, 2014:
1.) Complete all 4 parts of Pimsleur
2.) Commit to Duolingo at least weekly
3.) Commit to lingq at least weekly. Goal for Lingq to have all time/known word etc. goals up-to-date by year
end.
4.) Complete French in Action video lessons
5.) Utilize Anki deck

I will post activity to this log at least weekly showing my progress, excited to begin!!...

Edited by ryanl321 on 06 January 2014 at 1:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4149 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 2 of 118
01 January 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention how helpful the Deutsche Weille facebook posts are for helping to learn German. That's
what it comes down for my language learning, those 2-5 minute opportunities per day really add up for me!
With a demanding job, 3 small kids and my wife going to nursing school, I must take advantage of the free
time that I do get.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4149 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 3 of 118
02 January 2014 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Completed the final Pimsleur course for Spanish today (my 2013 goal). Normal day with Duolingo, completed
a section for all three languages. On the trip to Albuquerque, I learned some German adjective endings with
der and ein words (my wife drove). I'm a little apprenhensive to start up French. I constantly have this drive to
want to get better at German and Spanish before I start French. With the commitment and time it took to get
a basic understanding of German and Spanish, I hope French doesn't reduce my motivation!! Starting
tomorrow with Pimsleur for French.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4149 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 4 of 118
03 January 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Performed my Duolingo, one lesson each for each language. I think it takes only 25 minutes in total for all my
languages. Not sure if that is sufficient but will time that all out later.

German - Listened and read a lingq Crimipod for 10 minutes. Anki for approximately 5 minutes.

Spanish - Listened again to last Pimsleur to ensure I understood it, no problem. Officially done withe Pimsleur
for Spanish. Will go back and do random lessons to see if I forgot any of the materials. This will be much later
though, I'm sick of hearing their voices! Did a 30 minute session with word play (flashcard game) in the
Spanish Dict app. Found that was actually kind of fun. Couldn't really get out of lesson 10 in level 1. I'd get to
12 but it averaged to about 10. Found that if I do something fun I usually stick with it for awhile.

French - Completed 1st Pimsleur unit with my wife on our way to Phoenix. She knows more than me so that
was pretty difficult to hear her come up with the answer before me. I'm excited to get started with French!

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4149 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 5 of 118
04 January 2014 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Did Duolingo for each language, I counted and I can easily complete German and Spanish this year. However, French
might be tough. I estimate that I would need about 500 days to complete it with about 10 minutes per day. The only
way to complete it would be to do at least 2 lessons/day which is about 15-20 min/day. This includes some
deviations but I'm not confident right now to conclude this is doable for the year.

German - Will do a LingQ tonight - did a 15 minute episode with just listening no reading. I finished my assigned
Anki deck today and worked on some present and past subjuctive while my wife drove home today. We finally made
it back to San Diego today!

Spanish - Did significant amount of flashcard training on SpanishDict app, approx 30 minutes while in the car.

French - Completed 2nd unit of Pimsleur. Caught up on Duolingo lessons.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4149 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 6 of 118
05 January 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
As I find more quantifiable goals I will adjust my original goal post. Making quantifiable/measurable goals will
ensure I stick to my program.

I spent a lot of time on Lingq today after my bike ride (our house is a mess but it's nice to be home just relaxing).
The kids played with their new toys and my wife is catching up on FB and email. I started French on Lingq and went
through several lessons on German and Spanish. My skype caller tonight from Deutschland cancelled so I need to
get up on some additional study to make up for losing out on that hour. Will also post tonight when I complete
Duolingo lessons and mess around a bit more..

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4149 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 7 of 118
06 January 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
I timed my practice today. As soon as I woke up, I did Duolingo for my goals in all three languages in 1 hour. I
got through my Spanish Anki deck goal today in about 15 minutes and completed about an hour on LingQ with
German and Spanish. I did about 20 minutes on Pimsleur for French. I'm not done today. I'll probably mess
around with some Duolingo translations, catch some videos on Verbling and finish my German Anki.

Problems that I foresee:
1.) Going back to work tomorrow - will be a challenge to keep with my goals on a busy work schedule. Normally I
would be concerned that I would trash all of these goals be February but I've enjoyed learning languages for the
past 2 years and haven't given up on it yet. I find my passion is much deeper now. I really enjoy learning these
languages.

2.) I've had very little practice in speaking. This is the one area I need to improve significantly. I've been lurking
on this forum for awhile and the need to practice speaking is heavily debated. I need this practice regularly. It is
missing from my plan.   

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version