Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 89 of 118
09 February 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
There will also be words you just don't need anymore. Madre, hermano, casa, coche/carro, etc. are words you'll encounter often enough that you really don't need to keep them.

Also, seeing your Duolingo sessions is making me want to try to fit German and French in, too. After all, i'm sure i could squeeze in an extra 20-30 minutes a day.

It seems like you've already got a nice routine going, keep it up!
1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 90 of 118
10 February 2014 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
There will also be words you just don't need anymore. Madre, hermano, casa, coche/carro,
etc. are words you'll encounter often enough that you really don't need to keep them.

Also, seeing your Duolingo sessions is making me want to try to fit German and French in, too. After all, i'm
sure i could squeeze in an extra 20-30 minutes a day.

It seems like you've already got a nice routine going, keep it up!

Yeah, I have a lot of fun with Duo but not my sure if my short lessons over three languages is the most
effective with my time! Let me know your progress goes with German or french!

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 91 of 118
11 February 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Haven't really had a time to catch up on my progress. On Saturday night my German partner cancelled on my
so I didn't get a chance to talk in German or Spanish last week. Yesterday I made my goals in all languages
and today I'll summarize my results:
German - Did about 1 hour of podcasts and 20 minutes on Anki. Met Duo goals

Spanish - Did about 1 hour of podcasts, which included LSLC and 15 minutes of Anki. met Duo goals

French - Listsened to 20 minutes of Pims and met Duo goals.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 92 of 118
12 February 2014 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
I'm at a conference this week so its been hard to study since we have something going on from early AM to
PM. But here is my progress:

German - Got in about 20 min of Anki and 15 mins of podcasts driving to/from the golf course. Tried to start
up a German conversation with a coworker at the course but I guess he didn't feel like it!!
Met duo goals.
Spanish - About 10 minutes of Anki and 10 minutes of podcasts. Met Anki goals of about 10 minutes.

French - about 7 minutes of Pims, failed duo lessons so put about 10 minutes in it but didn't meet goals
today.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 93 of 118
14 February 2014 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
I'm finally back from my conference. You would think I'd be able to dedicate my extra time while out of town on
language learning but that's not the case. We don't have cable at home so I found myself caught up in the
olympics, various stupid shows, and the today show. There is no doubt mindless TV is a language learning killer
for me:
German - I've noticed I've been failing a lot more of my lessons. I didn't meet my goals for German but wound up
putting in 15 min of Duo and probably 30 minutes on Anki while speakers were talking at the conference. I know
that's bad but I actually feel that it helps me point out the important things people are talking about. I don't have
to be bored out of my mind and still get some studying in. Did some podcasts listening and reading, approx 15
minutes.

Spanish - I spent most of my time on Anki, maybe an hour and met Duo goals. Got in about 10 minutes of
podcasts.

French - Losing momentum on Duo, will need to catch up again. I'm way behind. Practically no studying at all
today.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 94 of 118
16 February 2014 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Recounting my studying this week has by far been the most unsuccessful of the year. I would also say that would
be the same with my tri training as well. I'll chalk that up to being out of town for a conference, drinking late at
night with prospects and clients, which I clearly would rather not do, and the digression from my routine. When I
got back home on Thursday I had an opportunity to swim. I went in the pool came out 5 minutes afterwards just
not in the mood. That hasn't happened before. Anyway, here is my progress today:
1.) German - Read and listened to new podcasts about 20 minutes and did a tad of Anki, maybe 10 minutes.
During my run this AM, I listened to about 20 minutes of my old podcasts. Need to make sure every minute I put
into studying/training is big. I need to reap more effectiveness from the time I'm putting into studying. Not every
minute is the same even though I'm counting like they are right now. I won't get a chance again to talk this week.
My Skype partner can't make it. I'll see if I can catch anyone on the informal tutoring on italki.com here in about
2-3 hours when everyone wakes up over there.

2.) Spanish - Although I got in 20 minutes of podcasts listening, I got in 25 minutes of talking to my stepmother.
By far the most productive 25 minutes of studying in the past 2 weeks. I took diligent notes, of things I need to
work on as follows:
- MOST IMPORTANT Need to master past tense of most common verbs, tener, decir, hacer, ir. This should go
without saying but who can anyone even attempt to try speaking without mastering this?? I'll create my own
podcasts with these going over some drills and I'll listen to it on my ride tomorrow. Didn't meet Duo goals but
practiced for about 5 minutes.
- Couldn't say "What did you do today?",= Qué has hecho hoy?; and couldn't come up with a word "to get
=obtener", recently = recientemente; "I saw" = you vi

3.) French - I did about 25 minutes with Pims.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 95 of 118
16 February 2014 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
You really should check out FSI for the past tense drills. You don't have to do the whole course, but the sections on the past tense (preterite and imperfect) are really good. It will help you immensely with knocking down the most common irregular past tense forms and getting the regular ones down pat.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 96 of 118
18 February 2014 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
You really should check out FSI for the past tense drills. You don't have to do the whole course, but the sections on the past tense (preterite and imperfect) are really good. It will help you immensely with knocking down the most common irregular past tense forms and getting the regular ones down pat.

Hey Crush, I wanted to get through the LSLC podcasts then I have FSI next on tap. I've gone through the ones I don't need and will start these up soon. So many programs so little time!! Thanks for all your help though, your suggestions have been awesome!!

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version