tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 41 of 118
21 January 2014 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
ryanl321 wrote:

Spanish - I listened to 3.3 hours of podcasts. Kind of boring, I just did this as I worked today. I know
subconsciously this is helpful but I need some new Spanish music or something to mix it up with.   

I know that a lot of people swear by background listening that they can't yet understand, but I'm of the opinion that
Spanish that you can't understand at all isn't really much use - especially if it's boring. I think that music is definitely
the way to go if you're looking for background noise! And then you can save the podcasts for when you have time to
focus on them and try to understand what they're saying.

What podcasts are you listening to? I think I need to branch out, but there are so many Spanish-language podcasts
that I find it a bit overwhelming to sift through all of them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 42 of 118
21 January 2014 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
That depends on how early you are in your studies. If you are still early enough in the
process, almost any native audio is beneficial since it gets your brain used to the natural
prosody of the language which makes it easier for your brain to separate words in audio.
Once you've hit the point where you brain can do that pretty easily, though, then I agree that
you are much better off with something you can at least kind of understand.

ryanl321
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4124 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 43 of 118
22 January 2014 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
ryanl321 wrote:

Spanish - I listened to 3.3 hours of podcasts. Kind of boring, I just did this as I worked today. I know
subconsciously this is helpful but I need some new Spanish music or something to mix it up with.   

I know that a lot of people swear by background listening that they can't yet understand, but I'm of the opinion
that
Spanish that you can't understand at all isn't really much use - especially if it's boring. I think that music is
definitely
the way to go if you're looking for background noise! And then you can save the podcasts for when you have time
to
focus on them and try to understand what they're saying.

What podcasts are you listening to? I think I need to branch out, but there are so many Spanish-language
podcasts
that I find it a bit overwhelming to sift through all of them.

Thanks for your comments! I can understand about 50-80% of the podcasts when I'm paying attention but
honestly I'm usually tuning it out when I'm working and if I'm not paying attention I won't understand anything. I
didn't know if there was a subconscious benefit at least. Based on what I gather here, probably as much as I'm
thinking. However, I have realized that even though I'm not paying attention, I will dart off into space or take a
quick break and catch a few moments of the podcast and notice several words, recall and/or bring deeper into
my brain. I think from this standpoint, if I didn't have the podcast running in the background, those moments
wouldn't happen. Quantifying the value vs. possibly doing other things even more enjoyable is tough.   

I use podcasts that I imported into lingQ, these are podcasts from my wife's church that I told her I would listen
to if they were in a language I was learning!! So they're like 15 minutes long. I listen to other podcasts from LingQ
but I do get bored with them. I do have music that I enjoy, from Shakira and Sandoval. Need to start dinging for
some new Spanish materials..
1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4124 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 44 of 118
22 January 2014 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
That depends on how early you are in your studies. If you are still early enough in the
process, almost any native audio is beneficial since it gets your brain used to the natural
prosody of the language which makes it easier for your brain to separate words in audio.
Once you've hit the point where you brain can do that pretty easily, though, then I agree that
you are much better off with something you can at least kind of understand.

Thanks for your comments Warp3. I'm just a bit past the basics and can understand about half of the material. As I
replied to Stelle's post, I think there is a benefit to playing the podcast in the background. I just think I could find
something more enjoyable. I need to be on the hunt for some new materials!

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4124 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 45 of 118
22 January 2014 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
I wonder how people go about their Anki deck - is it quality or quantity? For example, if I have a word "verhalten
sich", and I miss it, should I develop a mnemonic, understand how the inseperable "ver" and the reflexive "sich"
normally impacts the infinitive, whereby developing a strong connection that takes a few minutes or just power
through the deck? I did both today and I forget the mnemonic just as easily as the word as time passes? Perhaps I
should bring out my "Moonwalking with Einstein" book and develop better memory castles…

German - met Duo goals and got through a big portion of my Anki deck. I didn't reduce the deck. I really want to
get through this 300 card deck this week so I can power through my podcast. I want to understand the entire 15
min podcast before the end of this week. Did about 30 minutes of listening on my way to a client. As I mentioned
above, I've been considering developing more a mnemonic tool to my learning. I go back and forth with this and
the benefits. Quality vs. quantity is something I struggle with regarding my language learning.

Spanish - met Duo goals and did 30 minutes of podcasts on the way home. No Anki as of yet, will try to power
through this if I can get through my German deck. I hate spending this much time on Anki but I really want to
understand this one podcast in both German and Spanish by this week. I don't know if it's possible but I'll try. The
spanish one maybe a little improbable at this point.

French - Almost caught up with my reading and pronunciation assignments, I'm only behind one now! Did 30
minutes of Pims this AM and met Duo goals. My Duo goals were way behind. That took a lot to get caught up
today. Need to power through Duolingo this week. I made a Lingot bet to get 400 points this week so the extra
motivation doesn't hurt!!

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4124 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 46 of 118
23 January 2014 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Actually stayed home sick today. I wasn't that bad and I never really take time off so in essence I sitll worked
but just stayed home. However, for some reason I had no problem getting through all my Anki decks and
finishing my Duo goals!

German - I didn't realize I could get the Deutsche Welle Video Thema's through my apple TV. I finished half of
the Ticket Nach Berlin segments and got through a lot of Video Thema's. Nice to have this now but I'm not
sure how much it helps my learning. I'll just have to keep going back to it and ensure I pick up stuff and can
measure my progress. I'm really excited to start measuring my progress through the use of LingQ and the
podcasts on dw.de. After I finish this podcast and get through the Anki deck for it, I'll do shorter Top Thema's.
Learning a 15 minute podcast is just too much time on Anki. I despise spending too much time on Anki. Also,
my Saturday German partner and I agreed to focus on idioms for Saturday. Looking forward..

Spanish - nothing to report new here, watched movies in the background with my daughter. Should have put
the Spanish subtitles on Alvin and the Chipmucks so I could have looked up every now and again and gotten
some good Spanish practice. Hind sight is great...

French - Did only 10 minutes of Pims while I was getting ready, I did a lot of Duo catch up here so I'm not too
disappointed. Need a committment for French on LingQ. I just don't think I'm ready yet..

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4124 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 47 of 118
24 January 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Was a busy day of work today but I managed over the course of the day to put in 55 minutes of Anki, blah!!
However, I find that Anki is much more fun if it is one or two words and I can move through it fairly quickly. Need
a total of 200 more points on Duolingo to beat my goal for 400 total points this week, I would say I'm a little
behind.

German - made a new Brieffreundin, spent about 10 minutes emailing back and forth. I haven't done that in a
while and I would my active spelling and recollection of written words has certainly regressed. Just one of the
many things I need to pick up again. Have about 120 cards left in Anki to complete before this weekend. Listened
to about 15 minutes of songs and will hit Video Thema tonight. Met Duo goals.

Spanish - Met duo goals and listened to about 10 minutes of music. Have 160 cards left in my Anki deck, I could
finish that by Sunday but it'll be tough. Tomorrow, active learning, active, active, active. Take a few words from
Anki and make up a subject to talk about, just do it!

French - got through about 50 minutes of Pims this AM and driving to my client who is a bit away. Have reviewed
this lesson now already at least 2 1/2 times, I can't grasp how to negate a sentence very well and I can't count
very good either. Such a beginner. Surprisingly the one lesson I did on LingQ still sticks like crazy, "Quel est votre
nom?" Not sure if that is right but if it is that's pretty good for me..

Guess it's going to be a long weekend, I still need to get in 3x swims, 1 long bike, 2 weights, and 2 runs. Going
to do lot's of dual purpose activities in the next three days.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 48 of 118
24 January 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
re: anki. I put a word, with one - or perhaps two - definitions on each card. I go from L1->L2, and I make the cards
myself, so I rarely have dozens and dozens of news cards in a day. (That also has to do with my own particular
learning style, though. I'm more slacker than OCD, so I'm very unlikely to create more than 5 or 10 new cards at a
time, and even that doesn't happen every single day.) I've discovered that my "sweet spot" for anki is about 15
minutes per day. Any more than that, and I find myself dreading doing it. So if my cards are bunched up and I find
myself with too many reviews one week, I'll just add fewer new cards until things settle down again.

At the beginning, I was getting anki words from everywhere, since everything was so new. Now, I mostly take them
from tutoring or conversation sessions. I figure that those are the words that are most useful to me while speaking,
which is really what I'm aiming to improve by studying anki.

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version