Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 57 of 118
27 January 2014 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Thanks Stelle and BAnna! The hard part is trying not to let studying or training interfere with precious time with my
wife and kids. That's the challenge. If I'm on a long bike ride, I find this is the best time to study! I can really hone in
on my weaknesses during that time. I can't do anything when I swim though. I hate swimming so much I just can't
wait 'til its over but that's unfortunately part of training!
1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 58 of 118
27 January 2014 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Congratulations on keeping up with most of your goals!

Do you find it dull to work on multiple Duolingo courses at the same time? Or do you find that it's an interesting
way to compare languages? How much time do you spend on Duo every day?

I like Duolingo quite a lot (well, at least the beginning part of the course), but I'm not sure I'd be able to commit
to
using it for multiple languages!

I definitely think having more than one language is the way to go with Duo. I joined that site the day it was
available to the public and I've gone off and on since then and never finished. What they've done to the learning
experience and definitely the immersion features has really paid off and I find that when I get sick of
german/french that I can move on to Spanish and I just want to stay on longer! I get in at least 30 minutes per
day, 10 minutes per language. That's enough for one lesson usually. However, I like to at least do refreshers for
at least two languages so I might spend around 45 minutes throughout the day, almost solely on the app during
the week and at the desktop on the weekend.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 59 of 118
27 January 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
German - I really mastered my podcast this week. In summary, I took a 15 minute podcast of mine that was very
difficult for me at first, grabbed all of the unknown words from it through lingQ and imported into Anki (approx.
300), learned all of these words and listened to the podcast each day, sometimes with reading it together with
listening, and sometimes just listening, and today I am able to say I mastered it. I know almost every thing about
this podcast and I was really happy with my progress and achieving that goal this week! Goal #2, I now have a
much smaller 5 minute Top Thema podcast to master by around Wed and then I'll pick up something else, maybe
another 15 minute one. Met duo goals and listened to about other podcasts for about 2 hours on my ride today.
Today was a good day for German, but no speaking. I did, I guess, shadow as I was listening and reading my
"mastered" podcast. That helps but not sure if it brings into active as much. I question this approach but
anything i can do to help my speaking is what I need.

Spanish - Not much Spanish today, met my LingQ and duo goals but haven't gotten to my Anki deck yet. Will do
that before bedtime. I haven't spoken in Spanish since last Friday. I can see why I get frustrated at myself after a
skype session. I don't put in enough time for speaking practice.

French - Did Pims, both in the AM getting ready and shower and driving to pick up my wife and kids. About 30
min? I have to go back to Duo before I sign off. Have yet to finish my duo goals. However, I am caught up on my
reading lessons with Pim so that is good! might watch "midnight in paris" tonight in french before I go to sleep.
We'll see which one it is, Spanish Anki or french movie..

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4833 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 60 of 118
27 January 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Ryan, your drive and dedication are very impressive and inspiring, keep up the good work!

May I ask what your daily goals for Anki/LingQ/duo are, just out of curiousity.

Also, I've never tried LingQ, if you could say a couple of words about how you're using it (if you're using payed/free version), what about it you find fun/beneficial, and whether it's worth to supplement Anki with LingQ - I always thought they were kind of redundant. Danke!

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 61 of 118
28 January 2014 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Thanks Sofist! My goals change with these programs, Duolingo, Anki and LingQ quite regularly based on my
mood. Similar to exercise, I need flexibility and the ability to change my workout instantly so I don't burn out.
The hope is that I maintain enough flexibility but contain my drive for change so I continue to improve daily.
As a result, I might touch on each program daily but feel motivated to rack the points in Duolingo like I did last
week so I will pass on extensive studying with LingQ etc. A little about my goals:
1.) Duolingo my goal for the year is to merely complete the trees in my 3 languages, or finish the program of
learning new words. I understand there are only about 2k words for each language but when you complete
the trees you're hitting the speaking, listening, writing and reading aspects for each and then about to move
on to actually translating wikipedia sites or something so you learn something new as you build up more
points. Very social interactive program that keeps me motivated since I want to beat people and love the
discussions about complex grammar topics etc that are shown as you're moving through the lessons. Daily, I
spend a minimum of 10 minutes per day per language, obviously 30 minutes but mostly on average around
40 minutes.
2.) LingQ - With LingQ I have an entire library of essentially podcasts at various levels of my TL or I can
import my own which I do quit often. The program keeps track of the words you know or don't know (LingQ's).
As a result, in a podcast where you have the text and audio and you're listening to it for the first time, all the
words you don't know are highlighted yellow, the words you haven't see before are blue which you could
easily advance to known or unkown,, and words you
already have mastered are not highlighted. The words in yellow are easy to export into Anki for example so I
can target those before and plan to listen to the podcast again. Even if I don't read while I listen, I'll pick up
more and more based on my Anki drilling. LingQ has it's own flashcard program but I don't like it. I love Anki
for this. Previously, I used my Anki deck and LingQ for "important" words, which I flashcard but easily lost
movitation. I never had an end in mind. For example, you'd just learn and learn those important priority words.
However, I can master a 15 minute difficult podcast in a week and benefit from incredible retention through
reading and listening, and shadowing, after I've got it mastered. That's what I get mostly out of LingQ. I do
like that it keeps track of my known words, and my goals are programed within LingQ so I can track how
many words I read, how many hours I listened, how many new LingQ's I created (when you add a new
podcast and had a bunch of new words you didn't know it's called creating "LingQ's), and how many LIngQ's I
advanced to known words. Generally, my goal is about 40 minutes of listening, and creating around 20 new
known words. I joined a 90 day challenge with LingQ for my German and Spanish so I've been concentrating
a bit more in it lately.

Anki - I haven't gone to my old deck in a while since I found a way to export from LingQ and use it to drill
down on specific podcasts. I get in at least an hour on Anki daily, that's not sustainable though. I have a
feeling that will come to an end after this week.

Edited by ryanl321 on 28 January 2014 at 6:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 62 of 118
28 January 2014 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
German - Probably did 45 minutes on Anki just in German. Listened to 30 minutes of podcasts and barely
completed my minimum Duo goals.

Spanish - did about 30 minutes of Anki and haven't gotten back to Duolingo, didn't do any new lessons today
just got one mere point today in Spanish. No problem, I'm pretty ahead in Spanish. Did nothing else in
Spanish today.

French - barely met Duo goals and 12 minutes with Pims. Nothing else unfortunately

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 63 of 118
28 January 2014 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:
Ryan, your drive and dedication are very impressive and inspiring, keep up the good work!

May I ask what your daily goals for Anki/LingQ/duo are, just out of curiousity.

Also, I've never tried LingQ, if you could say a couple of words about how you're using it (if you're using
payed/free version), what about it you find fun/beneficial, and whether it's worth to supplement Anki with
LingQ - I always thought they were kind of redundant. Danke!

sOfist, I responded below but forgot to address your question on the version I use. I pay the $10/month. You
have the option to pay more depending on tutors etc, but $10/month is doable for me..
2 persons have voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4151 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 64 of 118
29 January 2014 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Didn't get a chance to log my activity yesterday, will do that now before I get started today:

German - I believe I have now mastered my top thema podcast, learned the unknown words for that in about
2 days and continue to listen to my older 15 minute podcast with no troubles. Learning the unknown words to
a podcast is so much better now and such a better way for me to learn as opposed to listening to various
podcasts and maybe or maybe not going back to it later. I guess in this case quality over quantity prevails. Hit
my duo target and spent only 30 minutes total on Anki which was primarily review of old words.

Spanish - My Spanish has definitely taken a back seat. I did Anki review and met my duo goals barely
towards the end of the day. I did listen to my podcasts but not near the amount of enthusiasm or drive I did
with my German ones. Need to focus on Spanish today, thats my goal.

French - I'm definitely getting into more difficult sections of French, I'm behind in Duolingo and my Pims has
been limited to 15-30 minutes/day. If I can get in 45 Pims/day, meet my duo goals and maybe hit up a brief
LingQ lesson, that would please me.
Today's my son's birthday and he gets out of school early so we're excited to celebrate! I might stay home
from work but that would put me behind there too. Training is a bit behind. Wow, nice way to start of the day
by talking about all the things I'm behind at!! Need an attitude adjustment...

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version