Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4123 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 65 of 118
30 January 2014 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
German - Listened to about 20 minutes of my podcasts and went through about 200 cards on Anki, mostly
reviewing, no new words. Will get to Duo before I hit the hay tonight.

Spanish - Actively spoke outloud on my way to work today. Surprised how much I could talk about subjects
relatively simple for me but I really had no trouble coming up with the words I needed to except about 5 that I
memorized for later searching when I got to work. That was about 12 minutes and did about 100 Anki cards. I will
do Duo tonight after German. I listened to about 30 minutes of podcasts, and read along with a 15 minute long one.
Imported two new Anki files from new podcasts. Hoping this will push my Spanish up to another level!!

French - did about 35 minutes of Pims, and did about 3-4 lessons on French but failed two of them, quit frustrating
when you fail on the last one and that happened both of those times!! Getting the hang of very beginner French,
such a beautiful language..
1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4123 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 66 of 118
31 January 2014 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
German - did at least 15 minutes of podcasts and 7 minutes of talking out loud (i.e,. talking to myself in
German). Obtain new linQ podcasts to learn therefore required additional loads up to Anki. A lot of flashcards
to review over the weekend!!

Spanish - Got part 2 of my "Creo" podcast and downloaded something from "La Voz de Rusa", good 15
podcast. Did some Anki and didn't meet my duo goals.

French - Did 40 minutes of Pims and did a lot of Duo but couldn't caught up to being on track.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4123 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 67 of 118
31 January 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Wanted to note that I took a simple test to see where I fall on the CEFR in Spanish. After a full year of learning Spanish, I got 13 out of 40 right which put me at A2, 3 answers short of the B1 classification. Think the grammar tripped me up and I wasn't as use to informal past tense as well as I should be. I initially was disappointed by this. I spent last year on Spanish, through all four levels of Pimsleur, talking when I could and developing somewhat of an ok vocab. I hear people that make B1/B2 by 6 months in Spanish. But then I thought about it some more, and it just gave me more motivation to get to B2 by the end of 2014. I need measureables though, I need to commit to a more intensive exam to complete by year end. Any suggestions?

Edited by ryanl321 on 31 January 2014 at 9:57pm

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4123 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 68 of 118
02 February 2014 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Great day today! Got a long ride in and a swim, a bit of language learning and I'm going to top it off with a skype
conversation in about 30 minutes. Will log my activity since I likely won't stay up too late tonight:

German - Listened to about 30/1 hour of podcasts and did Anki for about 20-30 minutes off and on today. Got
through Duolingo goals barely and I plan to talk tonight on Skype about the "da-words" and "mal" and it is
appropriate to use these.

Spanish - Did Anki for about 20 minutes (haven't gotten sick of the extended Anki time. We'll continue this until I
get bored). Did reviews on Duolingo, no new lessons. Speaking is missing from my weekly plan as I mentioned.
Will utilize the italki instant tutor tomorrow. I'm glad they got that up and running!!

French - no activity at all today, not even Duolingo. This is probably the first time all year. At least I waited until
month 2 to have a "no-activity" day.

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4123 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 69 of 118
03 February 2014 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
German - spent about 50 minutes on Anki and wrote some email entries, met Duo goals but didn't do any
LingQ or speaking. Kind of hard with church and the Superbowl today!

Spanish - Did 40-45 minutes on Anki and did a minor article on LinG, just read no listening today. Met Duo
goals.

French - Didn't meet duo goals, a bit behind there but did get 20 minutes in Pim.

Next week I'm going to track the time I spend each day on learing. I would guess at least 2 hours for all but
that's mixed in to my exercise as well.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5624 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 70 of 118
03 February 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
It's easier to make that sort of progress if you're focusing on just one language. 2 hours a day in Spanish will get you much further in Spanish than 2 hours a day split between Spanish, French, and German will. But progress is progress and you're much further along than you were last year!

If you want a more intensive course, you could try Platiquemos or FSI, but that might not fit into your schedule. Another course that is similar to Pimsleur but covers more advanced grammar is Learning Spanish Like Crazy (LSLC).

Spanish, French, and German were the three languages i started off with here at HTLAL, too. I only ever stuck through with Spanish, but French and German are still on my list. Anyway, i wish you lots of success!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4123 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 71 of 118
04 February 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
It's easier to make that sort of progress if you're focusing on just one language. 2 hours a day in Spanish will get you much further in Spanish than 2 hours a day split between Spanish, French, and German will. But progress is progress and you're much further along than you were last year!

If you want a more intensive course, you could try Platiquemos or FSI, but that might not fit into your schedule. Another course that is similar to Pimsleur but covers more advanced grammar is Learning Spanish Like Crazy (LSLC).

Spanish, French, and German were the three languages i started off with here at HTLAL, too. I only ever stuck through with Spanish, but French and German are still on my list. Anyway, i wish you lots of success!

Hey Crush, I'm really glad I started my log. I never would have received the help and support that I get now if I didn't. Thanks for your comments, I spent a good part of yesterday researching the "Learn Spanish Like Crazy". At first, I didn't want to buy it because I think I'm at a high beginner or low intermediate level so perhaps a lot of the content wouldn't be useful to me. I also questioned it because a lot of it is the FSI stuff that I could get free online, it seems they spiced up the audio and made the workbooks more user friendly. I downloaded 3 of the free lessons so I will check those out to see if it would work for me. I do see there is a LSLC 2 and 3. I think those are too advanced for me. I'm almost certain I'll purchase the LSLC 1 and just see how it goes because I think my Spanish is missing key beginner aspects. I've focused on more complex podcasts before instead of basic conversational Spanish, so I have a weird vocab that I've accumulated. Again, thanks for the suggestion! Also, I realize that taking on 3 languages is not ideal. I've debated this issue the past 3 years. I studied German by itself for a year, and Spanish and German together last year. All 3 this year is daunting but I'm not looking at getting fluent in French anytime soon so I can take it easy with that one. Taking these 3 on like this keeps me motivated and I could switch really easy if I get bored with one of the languages. I don't think I'll be taking on any more languages after French!

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4123 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 72 of 118
05 February 2014 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Here is my approx record from Monday:
German - Anki 45 min; Duolingo; 10 minutes; writing email 15 minutes
Spanish - Anki 30 min
France - Duo 10 minutes

I spent a lot of time researching other systems for my Spanish learning. I took a long bike ride yesterday but wasn't in the mood to listen to podcasts. Once I get through the flashcards of my Spanish podcasts, I'll be more excited to listen to them in detail.

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version