Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4145 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 113 of 118
04 March 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I need to get back on track with my studying this year. To recap my goals, to reach B2 for German and
Spanish and B1 for French. I want to ace the Duolingo tests in German and Spanish and complete both trees.
Hopefully I can complete the tree for French. Will look for tests to take to ensure I meet B2 by year end but
mastering the Duolingo test halfway through the year will help identify my progression. In addition, mid-way
through the year I need to complete B1 tests and obtain study materials for B2. That's great to talk about, but
daily I need to ensure the following:
1.) Talk! Say something in each language daily!
a.) Schedule skype weekly
b.) Place priority on talking whenever you can, during lessons, while listening, while studying. My main reason
for studying languages is being able to speak!
2.) Complete Duo goals daily for each language
3.) Meet LinQ goals every other day (spanish and German, will focus on French later)
   a.) Read new article/lessons twice a week
   b.) Post to LingQ daily
4.) Anki daily, will make reachable goal to complete one deck review per day (will make goal achievable!)

Edited by ryanl321 on 04 March 2014 at 3:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4145 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 114 of 118
05 March 2014 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Good day for studying, I'm getting back into the Duolingo thing again!
German - Read an WSJ article in German, couldn't finish but have it in LingQ and I hope to finish it tomorrow. This
took me today about 20 minutes. Got in 5 minutes of Anki, about 1 hr 15 min of podcasts, and 15 minutes of Duo.
NO SPEAKING TODAY THOUGH! Got in at least another 1hr watching German TV shows

Spanish - did about 1 hr of podcasts and 7 minutes of Duo. No speaking unfortunately
French - 14 minutes of Pims and 10 min of Duo

Edited by ryanl321 on 05 March 2014 at 5:33am

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4145 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 115 of 118
08 March 2014 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Gone for a couple of days but that doesn't mean I wasn't studying. Today was an excellent day of studying. I guess
when I ride my bike to work, that gives me almost 2 hr 30 minutes of pure listening. Been on a streak catching up
with Duo and Anki reviews and been watching more movies in German and Spanish. Even keeping up with my
French Pims! Here is today's progress:
German - 1 1/2 hrs of podcast listening, 20 minutes of Duo and 5 minutes of Anki
Spanish - 1 hr of podcast listening, 10 minutes of Duo and 15 minutes of Anki
French - 20 minutes of Pims and 15 min of Duo

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 116 of 118
08 March 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Cool, keep up the good work! What movies have you been watching? Anything you'd recommend?

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4145 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 117 of 118
10 March 2014 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Cool, keep up the good work! What movies have you been watching? Anything you'd
recommend?

For Spanish, we have a DVD collection that I pull from and get the Spanish dubs, like Wedding Crashers,
Harry Potter, or Dan in Real Life. For German, I grab whats on netflix usually. Like, Lola Rennt or some Hitler
movies. I've stuck to the web lately and found German dubs for the Simpsons and Big Bang Theory which
were fun. Good for passive listening, nothing out of the ordinary or anything I'd recommend though..

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4145 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 118 of 118
10 March 2014 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
I've maintained a steady progress in my language learning even though my posts here have slowed. Thinking
that I'll start posting in my languages later to get dual practice in. Let's start that next week. For recap
purposes, I didn't meet my speaking goals for Spanish but I did speak for an hour in German on Saturday. My
partner noticed a big improvement but I've found a large improvement too. I dedicate most of it to passively
listening and reading and just keeping at it daily. My speaking is much easier even though I continue to make
mistakes. I don't think I have to be too concerned with finding speaking time or worry about it if it doesn't
happen a particular time. My passive is slowing turning into active with more exposure!!

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version