The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 73 of 236
09 March 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
That advanced book looks good, as it does cover some grammar points that my Korean
Grammar For International Learners doesn't cover. However, druckfehler, you may want to
look up on Naver some grammatical points to see if you need the book first.

For example, this is the "느니만큼" reference in the Kor-Kor dictionary on Naver.

(‘있다’, ‘없다’, ‘계시다’의 어간, 동사 어간 또는 어미 ‘-으시-’ 뒤에 붙어) 앞말이 뒷말의 원인이나 근거
가 됨을 나타내는 연결 어미. [비슷한 말] -느니만치.

열심히 일하느니만큼 좋은 성과가 기대된다.
추악함과 허무함을 궐내에서 일어나는 대소 사건으로 목격하고 있느니만큼 그런 것이 모두 무의미하게만 느껴졌던
것이다.      출처 : 한무숙, 만남

You may be at or near the level where you can learn some of the more uncommon
grammatical forms through Naver's dictionary, and I think it could be a help to you
Evita once you get along further in your studies and finish the Intermediate books you
have.
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 74 of 236
09 March 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I didn't know it was possible to look up grammar forms on the 국어사전... thanks for pointing that out! very convenient - it gets a bit difficult to find English explanations of advanced grammar patterns.

I've already ordered the grammar book, though. So much of my Korean study is done in front of a computer, I'm glad for more study time offline. Besides, while Naver seems great for looking up the meaning, I like to have more examples of typical usage and maybe some exercises to get a better chance at converting them into active knowledge. And it's just convenient to have the patterns selected ordered by situation.

Edited by druckfehler on 09 March 2014 at 5:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 75 of 236
12 March 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
I'm not getting much done this week. First, I am 50% more busy at work because a colleague of mine is on vacation. That leaves me quite exhausted when I come home. And second, I'm staying up late to watch tennis in Indian Wells so I'm even more tired. The only thing I keep doing consistently is my Anki reviews, I always finish everything every day. Like I mentioned earlier, the key to this is to remember to keep doing them throughout the day so that there are not more than 20-30 left when I come home from work, and so far I've managed to do that.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 76 of 236
12 March 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
На работе еще приходится по-немецки говорить?

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 77 of 236
12 March 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
На работе еще приходится по-немецки говорить?

Not speak but write, yes. The users of the application I support are German speakers so we write e-mails back and forth, and that will not change, that's why I want to improve my German. Most of the e-mails are standard responses but now and then I need to explain something and then I'm hesitating and my German is holding me back. Of course, I don't have to write perfectly correctly but if I want to make a career at the company then I'll need to speak German as well.

I could have probably told you all this in Russian but I never learned how to type with Russian letters fast enough so it would take too much time.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 78 of 236
13 March 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
I actually use a keyboard that connects Qwerty phonetically to Russian, so I can write it
real fast :) (On the other hand, I type Korean and Hebrew at turtle-esque speeds, unless
I'm on my phone.)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 79 of 236
18 March 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Recently I've been spending a little less time on podcasts and more time on TTMIK, specifically reviewing the level 8 lessons. I think I just wanted a change in my listening material. I still haven't studied the PDFs for most of level 8 so this is just, well, trying to internalize the grammar points but not really making a big effort.

Another thing is that it's difficult to listen to Yoo Inna at work because I understand too much for it to be a background noise and so my brain tries to make sense of it and the result is that I can't concentrate on my work. But speaking about this podcast, maybe someone could be so kind as to write the 3 or 5 most used phrases that she says in every podcast? Like introducing herself or the show? I can make out the ones at the end about being happy but not the other ones. I'd be very grateful.

I still haven't finished lesson 18 on my textbook but I'm very close to the end. And Anki is getting too much again. Yesterday I didn't finish all my reviews (a combination of being busy at work and tired) and I don't know if I'll finish them all today either. Maybe it's time I stopped adding new cards again for a while.

Oh and back to TTMIK, they are nearing the end of level 9 now. They finally had a lesson on -면서 LOL. I haven't listened to it yet but there are some more interesting lessons as well about -더니 and -ㄹ 바에.

Stassri
Korea, South
Joined 3879 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Korean*

Message 80 of 236
19 March 2014 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
maybe someone could be so kind as to write the 3 or 5 most used phrases that she says in every podcast?

오늘도 보고 싶었어요 케이비에스 쿨에프엠 볼륨을 높여요 저는 유인나입니다.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version