United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 145 of 236
19 September 2014 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
From what I recall when I first learned it, 딴 is basically just a contraction of 다른.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 146 of 236
19 September 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
딴 생각 하지 말고 한국어공부에만 집중하라~~ ㅋㅋㅋ

By the way, looks like your active skills are coming along very well!

On the topic of spoken Korean... I did a couple of lecture note taking exercises yesterday and while it was easily understandable in speech, looking at the transcript a lot of the sentences didn't make all that much sense grammatically. So I'm not surprised some of the sentences in the Iyagi transcripts look strange even to a native speaker. That reminds me my spoken grammar doesn't need to be perfect, it just has to be imperfect in a Korean way (which might be even harder to achieve!).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 147 of 236
19 September 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
From what I recall when I first learned it, 딴 is basically just a contraction of 다른.

Maybe, although the double-t is strange. But my dictionary lists it as a separate word so I'm counting it as one.

Quote:
By the way, looks like your active skills are coming along very well!

Thanks. It's expected that my grammar should improve considering how much I work on it but my weak point is (active) vocabulary, or more precisely - which nouns go together with which verbs. I already have learned many words with the help of Anki and now it's time to start putting them together. That's what I hope to achieve by reading more.

Quote:
On the topic of spoken Korean...

I agree, I noticed that when I first wanted to work through the Iyagi transcripts, that's why I didn't do it then. Now I have a better knowledge of grammar than a year ago and I'm able to make more sense out of it all.

By the way, last week I learned the word 사연. It's spoken very often on Yoo Inna's podcasts and now I hear it every time. Today I listened to an old episode (from March 16) and I could feel the difference in my understanding compared to half a year ago. It's not good yet by any stretch but it's improved.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 148 of 236
20 September 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Quote:
From what I recall when I first learned it, 딴 is basically just a
contraction of 다른.

Maybe, although the double-t is strange. But my dictionary lists it as a separate word so
I'm counting it as one.

Yeah, I never quite understood why it turned into a tensed consonant when it contracted
either, but apparently it does. {shrug}

Quote:
By the way, last week I learned the word 사연. It's spoken very often on Yoo Inna's
podcasts and now I hear it every time. Today I listened to an old episode (from March 16)
and I could feel the difference in my understanding compared to half a year ago. It's not
good yet by any stretch but it's improved.

It's also a name (as in the ballad singer 노사연). In fact, 노사연 and 윤인나 were in a
variety show together (영웅호걸) on SBS a couple years back. That said, most of the
occurrences in her radio show are probably the "story" meaning since it fits the concept
of her show to have that word show up a fair bit.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 149 of 236
29 September 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
I finally bought a TV last week so I was playing around with that. I probably won't do a lot of TV watching though until I buy a couch.

I started shadowing my Anki sentence cards during reviews. Not just once or twice but five times or more, I hit the R key and try to say it in the exact intonation of the speaker. It's fun and a bit difficult too.

I didn't feel like reading much last week, I hope this week is better in terms of that. I'm still watching AGD and struggling to finish it. I wouldn't recommend it to others. I hated one storyline, didn't understand two others, and two others were somewhat fine but then everything turned boring. Recently I started watching Yoona's Street after reading all the rave reviews on Dramabeans, and it's quite an unusual drama where the female lead is a pickpocket. I don't enjoy all the gangster stuff too much but I'll keep watching because the drama is good.

I'm almost at 3700 words in Anki. I should hit 4000 before the end of the year.

I am still working through the beginner book of Korean Grammar in Use. I'm also adding the sentences to Anki as I see fit. I'm not doing the exercises though. Overall it's going well, I think I have 75-80% of the book done so I should be able to finish it before the end of the year like I had planned.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 150 of 236
01 October 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I went to the Korean class for the first time this semester. The professor remembered me even though he had forgotten my name. We reviewed 면서 and 적이 있다 and learned 기로 했다. For students who just started their second year, I think they've covered a lot of grammar already but maybe that's expected with classes four times a week. I plan to "visit" them whenever I can get away from work (once or twice per month probably) this year and also next year so I must be careful not to fall behind them. A girl from the class had scanned her textbook and she e-mailed it to me so now I'll be able to prepare at least somewhat. They're using the Easy Korean for Foreigners textbooks.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6337 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 151 of 236
06 October 2014 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
I've been busy catching up on Yoona's Street. 38 (out of 50) episodes have already aired but subtitles are only up to ep.33. Yesterday I got that far and decided to keep watching without subtitles. At first I could understand the main things going on but the farther I got the more lost I became. After finishing episode 35, I decided to stop for now and wait for subtitles.

One reason I spent lots of time watching dramas instead of studying is being very tired in the evenings. I'm tired because there's some kind of noise outside that wakes me up almost every day at around 5:30 and I have trouble falling back asleep. It's been driving me crazy. At first I thought it was my neighbors doing something but they denied it. Now I think it's the garbage truck coming early every morning. I've contacted the people responsible for such things and they said they would try to arrange for it to come later but so far nothing has changed. This issue is making it really hard to concentrate on language study.

Fortunately the truck doesn't come on weekends so those days are better. Somehow I didn't have any desire to work on my sentence deck so I did some work on vocabulary instead. I downloaded the Topik Beginner Anki deck with 1560 words and went through all of them. I added about 40-50 to my vocabulary deck. Koreans have a specific word for the older brother of one's father, and this word is "big father". And can you guess what "big mother" means? The older sister of one's mother? No, no, it's the wife of the big father LOL. I wonder if there's a list somewhere with all the names and titles Koreans use for each other. Must be at least 300 words in it.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 152 of 236
06 October 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I remember last time I went through "Using Korean" (which is an awesome book for a host of
reasons) that it covered a large number of relationship terms, many of which were very
unfamiliar to me at the time (I added many of them to Anki at the time, but I don't believe I
added them all due to the sheer number of them).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521667887/

That actually reminds me. One of my TAC goals for Korean was to go back through that book
again (since it has been a couple years since I read it last) and see what I learn. The first
time I went through it there was a lot that just went right over my head, so I realized at the
time that another pass would be needed later to extract more details.

EDIT: The forum software broke the link as usual.

Edited by Warp3 on 06 October 2014 at 12:45pm

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version