learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 236
04 January 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Mareike wrote:
I don't want to mess up your German study plans. Your wrote that your plan to add IT- and finance-related vocabulary. Have you thaugt about adding a newspapers to your resources? You might get some nice finance-related vocabulary out of this.
Are the standard newspapers too dificult you can consider newspaper like
Presse und Sprache or Deutsch perfekt. They offer vocabulary help for every article. The second page has also few free online excercises.
I don't know if you're able to get a copy of these in Latvia, maybe you find somthing similar in a bookshop at a central station or airport.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I have thought about adding newspapers and no doubt I'll be reading them but I'll be doing it on the internet. I'm not sure whether I could find a printed newspaper if I wanted to, I'll check it out the next time I'm in a bookstore. But I think it's more convenient to be reading on the internet anyway.

But newspapers will not be my main focus. Extending my passive vocabulary is something I definitely want to do but first I need to activate my existing knowledge, especially grammar. There's a really huge gap between my passive and active German. I can read newspapers and guess the meaning of unknown words, there are not so many of them. But I don't know the difference between "zur Schule gehen" and "in die Schule gehen", for example, there are many holes in my active grammar and that's why I need to hit the grammar books first. I don't want to make stupid mistakes when I write to my colleagues in Germany.

Warp3 wrote:
I've been meaning to look for those since I knew she had a radio show (and has for quite a while now)...thanks for the link.

Yeah, I got it from CZ's log.

BaronBill wrote:
A great book for advanced vocabulary (including IT and financial) is Wort fur Wort: New Advanced German Vocabulary (German Edition) by Paul Stocker . I use it all the time. It seems pretty modern and very accessible.

Thanks, I took a look at it and it does seem like a very good book but I don't think it's worth for me to buy it. The book costs 10 euros on Amazon.de and the shipping to Latvia is 9.50 euros. Besides, I think I already know most of the expressions in this book.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 10 of 236
04 January 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Warum Nicht is an amazing course for beginners but since you are coming back to German having already put in a substantial amount of hours in the past you will probably find beginners courses get stale quickly. I had this problem when I started French again last summer. I would recommend trying to reactivate what you can just through exposure to native materials and then trying to start writing things yourself, and then find a structured course aimed at an intermediate level.

I could try to activate my skills through exposure but that would mean watching or reading something in German for fun and I don't have anything like that, I can't even watch Pro7 since I still haven't got a TV in my new place. As for grammar, I've covered it all before (including intermediate and advanced stuff) but I need to go over it all again so it makes sense to start at the beginning. Of course, the Warum Nicht episodes are very easy for me but I'm enjoying them nevertheless because of the story. I also often repeat what they say.

As for writing things myself, I'll have to do it at work, I already had to write my first e-mail yesterday. I'm in the support group for an application and we get various incident tickets and requests so we have to communicate with the users (who are all German). I think that will be enough to test my active German in the foreseeable future, I don't plan to write on Lang-8 or anything like that.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 11 of 236
05 January 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
My enthusiasm is still high for German so I'm putting it to good use. I worked on my word list this weekend and now it contains 1400 words. As for books, I'm trying out Routledge Intensive German Course for now. It moves pretty fast so it's not as boring as some other textbooks might be. It has 10 chapters in total and I'm already in the middle of the second one. I am studying this book very intensively, reading everything that is in German and analyzing the grammar in every sentence and trying to memorize patterns I had forgotten, like "arbeiten bei einer Firma". The good thing is that I don't have to worry about the endings of articles and adjectives, I drilled them so much in school that I still know them well. Of course, that only works if I know the gender of the noun and that's a big problem for me but I'm working on it.

As for Korean, I've already listened to 3 or 4 of Yoo In-na's podcasts. It's a nice background noise while I'm doing some other activity. I can't say much about them because I don't understand much but it's a pleasant and relaxing activity.

My Anki reviews are still the same, I usually review between 40 and 60 words a day and add 2-3 new words and that's not enough to get rid of my backlog. Today I also worked a bit on my sentence deck, I added sentences from TTMIK lesson 4x23 and started on Click Korean lesson 16.

I'm also in the middle of Intermediate lesson 2 (studying, not adding sentences to Anki). And I've been watching Smile, You for more than a week now. It's a nice relaxing family drama.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 12 of 236
08 January 2014 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I'm listening to the German Warum Nicht course at work, hehe. I'm up to chapter 17 now. I also finished chapter 2 of my textbook.

As for Korean, I'm not doing much active studying, just listening and watching dramas and reviewing words in Anki. My backlog is down to 150 cards so I hope I can get rid of it this week. Then I'll start adding 6 new words a day for a while because I have lots of new words to learn (88 currently).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 13 of 236
08 January 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Could a German speaker please tell me whether this sentence is grammatically correct?

"Die Fälle sind auf die Agenda 53 umgelegt worden."

(It's something I wrote after I had done the necessary actions for the cases.) Maybe it would be better to write "wurden umgelegt"?

Also, what are the usual ways to write that there's an attachment to the e-mail? I wrote "Das Log ist anbei" because that's what I've seen others writing but I'm not sure it's the best way. Is it?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 14 of 236
08 January 2014 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Der Satz ist korrekt! Es ist eigentlich egal, ob du an dieser Stelle Perfekt oder Präteritum benutzt. Mit dem Perfekt betonst du das Resultat der Handlung, deshalb ist es vermutlich sogar die bessere Lösung.

Für E-Mail-Anhänge kannst du sagen: "Im Anhang finden Sie..." oder "Beigefügt erhalten Sie...". "Das XY ist anbei" klingt für mich etwas seltsam.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6339 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 15 of 236
08 January 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Vielen Dank, Christian! Ich bin super froh, dass mein Satz richtig ist. Es scheint, dass ich mein Gefühl für Deutsch nicht komplett verloren habe. Ich muss aber noch viel lernen, um fehlerfrei schreiben zu können.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 16 of 236
08 January 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Aber deine Sätze sind fehlerfrei ;)

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version