Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 177 of 236
16 December 2014 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
I see that other TAC '14 participants are already writing their year-end summaries but I'm not ready yet, I want to finish my German grammar book first. If I don't do it now then I'll never get around to it. So yesterday I went through unit 7, it introduced the subjunctive mood and passive. Today I took both the book and the audio files with me to work, I should have some time today to spend on that.

I'm also doing other things - translating my German word list, listening to Korean podcasts, working on my sentence deck and working through Iyagi #33. Oh and Duolingo as well. Most people here seem to think it's not a good idea to use Duolingo as the only resource. Hmm, I don't know, I'll see how it goes.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 178 of 236
16 December 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Actually I've never even tried it. So I have no idea whether Duolingo is good. What's it
like?

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 179 of 236
17 December 2014 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
I haven't seen much of Duolingo so far, but it seems that each language has many lessons grouped into bigger packs, and each lesson contains 20 questions where you have to type the translation or select the correct option from a drop down list. If you didn't make any mistakes during the lesson then you get four "hearts" as a bonus; if you made a few then you get only three hearts, and so on. I'm not sure what good those bonuses are. The system supposedly also makes you repeat something after a while so that you don't forget everything but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I like that there is audio for every new word and sentence, there are some pictures as well. Translating sentences like "He is a man" is easy enough. I'm not sure how those translations would go once the sentences get more complicated. Each pack of lessons has grammar notes but I don't know how complete they are or will be. The words and sentences you learn are repeated many times so you will probably learn them well, but as for other words... I don't know.

I think you can go through the first lesson yourself without registering and see what it's like.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 180 of 236
22 December 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I have some good news today. First - I finished my German grammar book. I stopped reading aloud and doing some of the exercises towards the end but that's okay. Finished is finished. Too bad I haven't made similar progress with my word list.

Second - I've hit 4000 words in my Korean Anki deck!

I have a question though for druckfehler or anyone else who might know the answer. When I listen to Yoo Inna's show, I often hear her saying something that sounds like 뛰어 드릴게요. I'm not sure if it's related to songs or letters or something else, but I don't think she's talking about running somewhere. Does anyone know what it might be?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 181 of 236
23 December 2014 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
I did some searching around for possibilities and one of the meanings of 띄우다 is to send
(e.g. a letter), so could it perhaps be 띄워 드릴게요 instead? That's about all I can come up
with without an example to listen to for context.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 182 of 236
23 December 2014 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Warp3! That must be it. She gives out lots of presents each day to people who write letters to her so I think she must be talking about that. I'll try to pay attention the next time I hear it.

Edit: Now that I listened to it some more, I think she's "sending" songs to her listeners. But I may be wrong.

Edited by Evita on 23 December 2014 at 1:15pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 183 of 236
28 December 2014 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
It's almost the end of the year but this is not my TAC '14 wrap-up post yet. I have managed to get some studying done between going to Christmas parties. My vocabulary deck has a small backlog (50 or so cards) but I added a good number of sentences to my sentence decks - two TTMIK lessons, two Grammar In Use lessons, and chapter 13 from the Russian textbook.

I also found an awesome Korean resource. It's called Quick Korean from The Cyber University Of Korea. They teach Korean with videos where a teacher explains everything like they would in a class. They have four levels and the last one goes up to somewhere between B1 and B2. The videos are all available on Youtube as well, but lesson notes are only on their site. Level 1 lessons are available in five languages - English, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, and Korean. Level 2 is all Korean but with English subtitles. You can check out all of them here.

I've also been thinking that I want to order some books from Korea as a Christmas present for myself, but it's difficult to decide on the exact books. If I go to Korea next year then it will be cheaper to buy them there. Hmm. I will probably go with Yonsei Readers 2 and 3 to ease me into reading. Some people say that children's books are good too but I don't find them interesting and I wouldn't want to learn from them.

Oh, I also started watching Healer. It's great.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4970 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 184 of 236
28 December 2014 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
That Quick Korean sounds great. I want to focus on one language this year to make the best progress but
your log isn't helping =p.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version