Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 193 of 236
19 January 2015 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
There's not much to say about last week. I did some work on the Spanish list and it has a little more than thousand words in it (of whom I know about 85%). I still want to add more words so I will keep working on that. When I feel like it's enough for now, I will get back to Korean.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 194 of 236
26 January 2015 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I have many things to say this time, I'm quite excited.

1) I'm done with Spanish for now. I'll definitely come back to it sometime this year but now I want to focus on Korean again.

2) Yesterday I made my first post on lang-8, a self-introduction, and I got great feedback. As you know, speaking and writing in Korean are not the areas I've been focusing on. My method is to get lots of passive input so that I form a feel for the language and so that writing becomes more painless. I think I am slowly arriving at this point and I want to keep writing (now and then).

3) On Thursday I did something that I had been intending to do for a long time but that always seemed intimidating so I always postponed it. I opened the official website of Yoo Inna's show and started browsing it. Even though my Anki vocabulary deck contains more than 4000 words, very few of them are related to internet browsing. The only ones that come to mind immediately are 검색 (search) and 가입하다 (to join). There are probably a few more but when I open a Korean website I see a huge number of words I still don't know. I should probably work on that. Anyway, one of the first words I saw on this site was "당첨글". It was so weird to see it spelled out like that in front of me. I loved the feeling I got when I sounded out this word in my head and realized that I already know it. Sure, I should have added 당첨 to my deck ages ago but better late than never.

The main reason I visited the website in the first place was that I wanted to see whether the stories that readers send in are available for reading. I was pretty disappointed when I clicked around and saw that most posts were behind a lock (not accessible). At least the text messages are available so I may read those sometime.

4) I also browsed the Arirang website. I've known about it for a long time but I didn't think it could help me with Korean because it is all in English. Well, I discovered that you can find some pretty interesting things about Korea there, for example, 100 Icons of Korean Culture. Most shows also have descriptions both in English and in Korean, and that's great. My level is not high enough yet to read these texts in Korean but I'm looking forward to doing it next year.

5) I've started using HelloTalk. It's too early to say how it will go but so far I quite like the app.

6) This is not related to my studies but I'll tell you anyway. Remember I wrote that I have an Italian colleague who is learning Latvian? Well, I introduced him to Anki at the beginning of this year and he saw how awesome it was right away. He's already created a deck of more than 500 words for himself and told his wife to use it for Italian. I love spreading the Anki love!

That's it, I think. I will go over the corrections on lang-8 carefully and then post my text on the team thread. It took me maybe half an hour (or a little more) to write it and I'm really proud of it. Take this sentence, for example: "외국어에 원래 관심이 많이 있었지만 유럽의 언어밖에 생각이 없었어요." (I've always been interested in foreign languages but only the European ones.) I learned how to use 원래 and 생각이 없다 from watching dramas, and I learned 관심이 있다 from Yoo Inna's show. It's such a great feeling to be able to put it all together correctly.
3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 195 of 236
26 January 2015 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
You're making good progress now, Evita! I think you're starting to enter the phase where
Korean gets more daunting and yet more interesting at the same time. That's how I felt
when I got to around the stage you're at. There's still so much to learn, but now that
there's a good foundation that you have built, the road ahead is still long, but you have
gotten past the hardest parts of Korean. From here on out, it's just more of the same,
but more enjoyable since you're starting to be able to understand better and convey your
thoughts better.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 196 of 236
27 January 2015 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the encouraging words, CZ! I agree that I've gotten past the hardest part of Korean, I think I already did it half a year ago. The more I learn, the easier it gets, less daunting all the time :)

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 197 of 236
02 February 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I finally picked up my sentence deck again after not doing anything with it for all of January. I mean I studied it occasionally but didn't add anything new. So yesterday I went through chapter 14 of my Russian textbook. Now there's only one chapter left in the first book.

All week long I was also occasionally reading this. I can't believe there are more than a thousand messages for each episode. I would love to read the messages and listen to the audio at the same time but that's very hard to do, if not impossible, because there's no easy way to find the messages that were sent on a particular day. You always get the newest ones first and then you can click back 10 pages again and again and again until your fingers fall off.

Still, I did manage to find some nice words for my Anki. This morning I came across 산뜻하다. How many words do Koreans need to say "fresh" anyway? So far I've got six of them:

시원하다
신선하다
선선하다
싱싱하다
상쾌하다
산뜻하다
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 198 of 236
02 February 2015 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I can't think of as many 'fresh' words in German :) Although of course there are different words for different connotations.

I always think of Korean as similar to English in this regard. It's a very rich and poetic language and I love it. Actually I read a comparison somewhere. Just like English is a hybrid of Romance and Germanic and therefore has lots of synonyms, Korean has an abundance of words from Chinese that complement the native Korean ones.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 199 of 236
12 February 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I just added a 7th word for 'fresh' to Anki - 상큼하다. Pretty crazy. But I know what you mean, Renate, I also love that Korean is such a rich language.

Speaking of Anki, remember I was doing the big organization of the vocabulary deck last year in October and November? I had 420 or so new words at the time. I have been slowly activating them but I've also been adding new words so this number of unseen words is still high - 192. The total number of cards is 4404 at the moment. It is a bit frustrating to add a new word today and know that I will only get to study it in a month or two but that's how it is.

My current approach to Anki is pretty laid back. I know it is very useful for me and I try to do the reviews every day but I don't get stressed if it doesn't happen. I certainly don't regard Anki as more important than sleep anymore. I can usually do up to 70 reviews a day comfortably. If it gets consistently more than that, I stop adding new cards for a while. Then I set the number back to 5 or 6 and so the cycle goes on. I'm really glad I didn't abandon this deck somewhere along the way like I considered doing a few times.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 200 of 236
16 February 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I've gotten back into studying Hanja. I decided to add less example words so that I could make the cards quicker, and I have 114 of them now. I'd like to add at least 10 new characters every week.

I also worked a bit on the Secret Garden transcript and translating it to Latvian. Also added three TTMIK lessons to Anki. Also occasionally kept reading the messages on Yoo Inna's site. Also watched some dramas.

You have probably noticed that I rarely mention how much time I spend on each activity. It's because I don't know and I don't care. My goal is to improve my Korean and to have fun while doing it. Tracking the time would take all the fun out of it - first, because it's very difficult to track the time since I do various activities throughout the day on my phone, on my work computer and on my home computer, and second, because I would feel the need to improve my times, I can be very competitive against myself. So it's better for me not to have these numbers.

I haven't decided on the song yet for the February challenge. Or if I do it at all. Learning the lyrics of a song doesn't seem that challenging.

My boss was on vacation the last two weeks so I had to communicate with my German colleagues more. It made me think I should read a newspaper or something in German. But I'm too lazy and I don't do it. Eh.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version